Leaf Spring R&R on a budget - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaf Spring R&R on a budget

I have a 2002 F150 FX4 as a farm/hunting truck. I think there is a pic some where on my profile.
The truck has 260k miles on it before I got it. Since I got it I removed a goose necked hitch, replace the axle and removed the dry rotted air bags. I got this truck for ridiculously cheap and it is perfect for what I use it for. I have had it 2 years now and it has been reliable.

It has shake in the front end between 55 and 65 - death wobble and I plan to rebuild the front end here in the spring Parts kit is about $150. I already have the shocks for all 4 corners.

What Im struggling with is paying $180+ each for new rear leaf springs. Does anyone have any ideas on where to source them cheaper? I have considered putting in an add-a-leaf to stiffen the old ones up.

I know I sound cheap but $360 is just more than I really wanna spend on leaf springs. I would consider paying a bit more for a lift kit if it came with the leafs and front suspension pieces that I would be replacing anyways - I know this is a long shot. preferably no more than 4 inches as I still have to work out of it. The lift would come in handy as extra margin when the river floods, like right now have been driving this truck through 3.5' of water a 1/4 mile twice a day for the past 3 weeks (one reason I bought it).

1997 F250 Heavy Duty 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab, SRW, Automatic E40D
BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Stainless Exhaust
Tymar Air Intake
TS Six Position Chip (stock,High Idle, +50, +75, +100, +120)
Tymar HPX line in hand but no installed yet
285/75r16 BFG All-Terrain KO2
ARE LSII Custom Color Tonneau bed cover
Color match Rhino spray in bed liner
------------------------------------------
Better To Be Tried By 12 Than Carried By 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

I can understand why you don’t want to spend alot of money on new leaf springs.

Adding a leaf sounds like your least expensive option to me. Maybe find some scrapyard parts?

Driving in water every day like that is going to destroy other components and you will need to save money for those expenses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

no doubt @ArcticDriver ! Waiting for the water to go down so I can give the truck some love. Gonna replace all the fluids and clean/dielectric grease the electrical connectors. Front brakes are making noises now too thus they will need some attention.

Living on the river this happens every 5 years or so and this truck and my 7.3 are the only thing high enough to get through it. I have not had to drive my 7.3 through it yet and wont if I can help it. I left my Escape on the top of the driveway for the wife to drive and we just have to time it to get home at the same time so that she can ride in with me. Water started dropping good today, I am hoping everything will be back to normal tomorrow.

1997 F250 Heavy Duty 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab, SRW, Automatic E40D
BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Stainless Exhaust
Tymar Air Intake
TS Six Position Chip (stock,High Idle, +50, +75, +100, +120)
Tymar HPX line in hand but no installed yet
285/75r16 BFG All-Terrain KO2
ARE LSII Custom Color Tonneau bed cover
Color match Rhino spray in bed liner
------------------------------------------
Better To Be Tried By 12 Than Carried By 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:09 PM

Good idea to have a second junk vehicle to operate in flood conditions and save your 7.3. Your priorities are in the right place 😉

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:17 PM

My Photos: (180)
A few years back I replaced the rear springs on my truck when I found a broken leaf.
I went to the local wrecking yard and they wanted $150 for a pair matching year springs. They also had later model springs for $75 a pair which they swore wouldn't fit. I knew better and went for the cheaper/newer pair. They're still in place and working fine.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in