Lift kits - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lift kits

Looked through the threads for the 2017ís and didnít find anything on lifts. Who is running what and do you like it.
I am looking at Fadtech and BDS.

I am looking at a 4.5, does anyone have one and are you running stock arms or aftermarket. I donít think I want to go to a 6 because I may run a goose neck or 5th and donít want to take away from stability and towing capacity and donít want to add airbags.

Also donít want leveling kit want to keep factory rack, made that mistake on my F150.

Let me hear your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:37 AM

My Photos: (3)
I've seen a few around, but they are still new.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:26 PM

My Photos: (8)
I think any lift will effect stability. Depending on size and weight of the trailer, speed you drive, wind, and road conditions you may or may not notice it. Something to think about airbags, as you lower the rear of the truck due to the trailer/bed load weight you headlights tend to aim higher. Airbags allow you to adjust the rear back to empty hight so headlights are properly aimed and not blinding oncoming traffic. I am not saying lift kits are bad, especially if you want bigger tires. Just saying it can/will effect stability in certain situations.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
I think any lift will effect stability. Depending on size and weight of the trailer, speed you drive, wind, and road conditions you may or may not notice it. Something to think about airbags, as you lower the rear of the truck due to the trailer/bed load weight you headlights tend to aim higher. Airbags allow you to adjust the rear back to empty hight so headlights are properly aimed and not blinding oncoming traffic. I am not saying lift kits are bad, especially if you want bigger tires. Just saying it can/will effect stability in certain situations.
DENNY
I agree that is why I am not going big. for every inch you increase instability and reduce your towing capacity.
I dont for see towing anything overly heavy, I have an 18' lowboy which I tow a Samari on. I adjust the load so I dont get a lot of sag in the rear. I may start hauling a 3 horse with sleep area goose neck but again I dont for see to much sag with a good quality lift and shocks. I dont tow enough so air bags are added stuff LOL..
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 10:02 AM

I am in the same position now, have 20" Wheels with 37x12.5" wide tires on em. I pick em up next week and won't put em on till I have my lift in. I'm looking at the Rancho 5" with arms, BDS 4" and the Fabtech 4" My choice may end up being whatever my buddy can get the best deal on at his shop. I don't want much if any rake and will put air bags in the rear to help when I have my trailer or boat on the back. Well, the boat doesn't move the rear bumper at all actually. I have noticed I need more drop in hitch, I am now lift the boat over the ball and almost maxing out my trailer to get it on. Going much higher in the rear will be bothersome I think. And once this is sorted, it's onto front numbers, another nightmare making a choice haha.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfan4life View Post
I am in the same position now, have 20" Wheels with 37x12.5" wide tires on em. I pick em up next week and won't put em on till I have my lift in. I'm looking at the Rancho 5" with arms, BDS 4" and the Fabtech 4" My choice may end up being whatever my buddy can get the best deal on at his shop. I don't want much if any rake and will put air bags in the rear to help when I have my trailer or boat on the back. Well, the boat doesn't move the rear bumper at all actually. I have noticed I need more drop in hitch, I am now lift the boat over the ball and almost maxing out my trailer to get it on. Going much higher in the rear will be bothersome I think. And once this is sorted, it's onto front numbers, another nightmare making a choice haha.
From what I have head talking to local guys and shops who install for the local dealers is to stay with Fabtech and BDS, BDS also does lifts under a different name also but I can't remember it at the moment.

Have you done a lift on a truck before? The biggest mistake I found is to tale the factory rake out of the truck. I put a leveling kit on my 2013 F150 ( usually go with a 4" but am getting old and tired of lifting things in the back) and felt a big different in aro characteristics and fuel millage. I brought new rear blocks and put the rake back in and got some MPG and areo back. In any new truck 2010 and up I would always keep the factory rake it, it is there for a reason.

OK before I get a bunch of comments on how a lift changes these things anyway. I have run lifts on all my trucks and have done several jeeps and a Samari for rock crawling so I know it changes fuel MPG and handling, and added big tires. These are not the handling changes I am referring to. These are not NASCAR's but the areo does help the truck going down the road and helps with MPG. I lost 2 MPG with my initial leveling kit and 33" tires. I gained 1 mpg back when I put the rake back in. I drive 84 mikes round trip every day to work so I did some testing before and after my changes driving same routes and speeds.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:08 AM

Texas Wolf - that could explain my loss of MPG's when I leveled my '02 back in the day! I didn't think the Aero characteristics would change that much! But I just went with slightly oversized tires and a level and lost a solid 2PMG, which was more than a 10% loss! I just figured it was just that the truck was sticking more into the air now and that it was the price to pay for a leveled/lifted truck. But if you lift and retain the factory rake, you don't lose as much...

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_man View Post
Texas Wolf - that could explain my loss of MPG's when I leveled my '02 back in the day! I didn't think the Aero characteristics would change that much! But I just went with slightly over sized tires and a level and lost a solid 2PMG, which was more than a 10% loss! I just figured it was just that the truck was sticking more into the air now and that it was the price to pay for a leveled/lifted truck. But if you lift and retain the factory rake, you don't lose as much...
Jesus man, Well we dont buy trucks for the gas mileage LOL, and when you lift and put over sizer tires on we can expect mileage to tank. But I did find with my 2 last trucks 04 & 13 that when I put the rake back in I gained MPG, but that was just my experience. now my 03 6.0 diesel I got 14 mpg no matter what I did to it.

I like the the look of a truck with a rake rather than level plus the two kits I got put the front about 1" higher than the back which I hated. They when you put a trailer on like some of these Chevy's I see where the front is about a 12" higher that the back look tarible. Not sure if they are going t other baja look or what.

I will keep the rake in my truck when I lift it. If I find I tow more that I thought or heavier I may go with air bags like several people have suggested on here.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:19 PM

Im having a set of wheels built for my dually, but have used Carli Suspension in the past, recently their "unchained" suspension with King EBP Shocks and everything else on my Ram.

Im only looking to level the dually, but their level kit is new springs up front and Im opting for the Fox external res 2.5" shocks over the kings this time, as Im towing more and off-road less.

The Carli Back Country is I think what its called.

2017 F350 6.7 Platinum CCLB DRW
2012 F250 6.7 Lariat Ultimate CCSB FX4
2012 F150 Ecoboost FX4 CCSB FX4
2011 F250 6.7 Lariat Ult CCSB FX4 (sold)
2009 F250 6.4 KR CCSB 4x4 FX4 (sold)
2011 Raptor 6.2 Crew SVT (sold at 9,000)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

let us know how it goes. I also would like to change to Fox.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 02:04 PM

I have enough trouble getting stuff in and out of the bed with the factory height - can't imagine a lift. You gonna put a set of stairs on the rear bumper?

2017 F350 ECLB, 6.7L, Lariat, FX4, 3.55 E-Locker, Camper Package, Ruby Red/Magnetic, Black Leather
1978 F250 Flatbed, 351M V8, Custom, 4x4, Green
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 02:11 PM

I got my wheels the other day, Comfoser 3000 in 37x13.5' on 20' Fuel Couplers. They stick out a bit, will put flares on also. I think I'm going BDS 4" with radius arms. Will post pics when it's all on and done. and yes I'm going to need a ladder haha. Just got an 8" drop hitch for the trailer and boat.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:00 PM

never heard of the Comforser, but they look like a good tire! Wonder how they will perform in terms of wear, noise, and balance?

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfan4life View Post
I got my wheels the other day, Comfoser 3000 in 37x13.5' on 20' Fuel Couplers. They stick out a bit, will put flares on also. I think I'm going BDS 4" with radius arms. Will post pics when it's all on and done. and yes I'm going to need a ladder haha. Just got an 8" drop hitch for the trailer and boat.
Cooper MAxx won't run nothing else after I ran 33 on my F150. Awesome tire with long life and almost no road noise.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 11:32 PM

Yes the Coopers are great, I've had a pair. I've had BFG, Cooper, Pro Comp, Toyo and several Goodyear Duratracks. These Comforsers look a lot like Toyo MT but they are Chinese. A few guys I know have been loving them. It seems no matter what I run I burn through em in a year. These are a bit cheaper but I'll try em out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in