Lube points, driveshaft & suspension - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lube points, driveshaft & suspension

So I am planning to lube my 2000 F250 Powerstroke and I see the 4 zerks on the Steering Linkage but I do not see any on the driveshaft, Am I missing anyplace I ought to be greasing?

I note that the maintenance schedule says to check the suspension and driveshaft every 15,000 miles (as well as the exhaust system and heat shields). Dumb questions I know but what are your checking for and how do you do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:40 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

It depends on what parts have been replaced as it was common for Ford to use “Lifetime” greased u-joints, etc.. Part of the reasoning is that owners would neglect to grease and parts would wear prematurely or they would over-grease and it would attract abrasive materials and even blow out rubber boots. The grease they used in these applications is a superior quality and there should be no need to drill and install zerks although that might be beneficial in severe duty environments.

4x4 front axles will quite possibly have zerks at upper & lower ball joints.

One other place that may require grease is the Driveshaft Center Support Bearing (aka carrier bearing).

Also research greasing the spline of the rear driveshaft. This requires a special type of grease recommended by Ford. This service is also a good opportunity to replace driveshaft u-joints IF they feel worn or notchy while disassembled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

An additional lube point are the brake caliper slide pins and these need a silicone based grease such as Syl-Glide.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 07-18-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLPanther View Post
...I see the 4 zerks on the Steering Linkage but I do not see any on the driveshaft, Am I missing anyplace I ought to be greasing?
Ford has been eliminating grease points & fittings since the early 80s because the contamination added by adding grease usually causes more wear than would occur in a sealed or greaseless part. So there should be nearly no grease fittings on a 2000 truck. That there are any suggests to me that those are replacement parts.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLPanther View Post
...check the suspension and driveshaft every 15,000 miles (as well as the exhaust system and heat shields). Dumb questions I know but what are your checking for and how do you do that?
For everything, always start with a basic visual inspection. Even someone who knows & cares nothing about vehicle maintenance can still tell when metal is torn, cracking, rusting, wearing, or mangled; so just look around. If you start doing it when the vehicle is new, you can certainly spot changes, even if you don't know what you're looking at. Yours isn't, but if you're not sure, just post good pics and someone can tell you if it's normal or not.

These captions describe some things to look for:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

For more, buy the Haynes for your truck, and read it cover-to-cover at least once:

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 07-18-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in