Noise while braking - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noise while braking

Having trouble diagnosing a noise that occurs during medium effort braking. The noise is absent during light and heavy braking and is always present during moderate braking. It started about 3,000 miles ago and has gotten a little more noticeable recently. It's not a metal to metal sound. It sounds like a mud tire rumble or like I'm on a rumble strip. Tires are Micheline LTX M/S with 30,000 miles and have a lot of tread remaining. This is the second set that I've had and the first never made any noise for the life of the set. I've checked the brake pads and rotors twice. Pads are original, measure over .150" thick and look good as do the rotors. Front wheel bearings were cleaned and packed about 10,000 miles ago and still feel fine. Cannot detect any issues with swing bearing or U-joints. Differential lube is full and has 10,000 miles on it since it was changed. The noise only occurs during braking. I am about ready to service the brakes just to see if that cures the issue. I figure after 119,000 miles on the original pads, it can't hurt. Any ideas?

2001 F-250 XLT 4X2, 7.3L, 4R100, 158,000 miles
Cat ELC, ScanGauge II, SC 1705, Dahl fuel filter
Dieselsite transmission and coolant filters
Hawk LTS pads, Ford Severe Duty AIS, Isspro EV2 gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (7)
Sounds like pads or an issue caused by stuck slide pins.

Have you checked the inside pads as well?

119k is a good pull for pads - and definitely check the slide pins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Looking back at notes on my service log, the noise appeared about 5,000 miles ago. All brake pads inner and outer have minimum of .180" remaining. The truck has never seen heavy usage. I've towed light loads (under 4,000 lbs) for less than 30,000 miles. Rarely use heavy braking, usually coast up to stop signs and traffic lights. No off road use. Pins have been checked several times over the life of the truck, once since the noise started. Each time they pass inspection, no sticking, rust, corrosion, etc. observed. Rotors look good but I haven't measured runout. I'll be taking a deeper look into it as it's gradually getting worse. Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:25 AM

If I have 3/16 of an inch of pad left I'm ordering pads and rotors. It reminds me of rear brakes needing to be replaced. You'll feel a rumble in your backside instead of through the pedal. Not sure if it would be slide pins or warped rotors. I replace both when I replace the pads. It is not worth the trouble trying to reuse the pins, rubber boots, or having the rotors turned.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Followup

I replaced the brake pads and the noise went away. Went with Hawk LTS pads. I did not find any obvious cause for the noise. Caliper slide pins are in good condition. I cleaned and lubricated them, replaced the boots and caliper hardware. Turned the front rotors for light grooves. Probably didn't need it but...
I guess the noise will remain a mystery.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:19 PM

My Photos: (16)
Didn't see this originally, but as you now know it's the pads. At that thickness you were due for a pad change. Most of OE brake pads today use an underlayer for many reasons; bonding, noise reduction, thermal barrier, etc. Usually when this material starts to become the rubbing surface of the pads rather then friction material you can get all types of NVH.

>>>Turned the front rotors for light grooves.<<

We'll see you back in about 10k-15k miles for pulsation if it was with a bench lathe unless those LTS pads save the day.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager - Friction Products
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos Google - TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

The rotors had .002" runout before the work. Now have .005". It was done on a bench lathe. Maybe the LTS pads will save me. I'll check back with the results.

Last edited by Uncle Salty; 06-06-2013 at 07:47 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Are you saying that rotors shouldn't be turned and instead replaced? Thanks.

2013 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L
2003 F250 SC Lariat FX4 6L sold
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMTRVT View Post
>>>Turned the front rotors for light grooves.<<

We'll see you back in about 10k-15k miles for pulsation if it was with a bench lathe unless those LTS pads save the day.
The Hawk pads must have saved the day. !0,000 miles and no pulsating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in