OBS PSD Rear Brake Service - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post OBS PSD Rear Brake Service

Getting ready to do the brakes on my 97' F-250 HD 4x4. I have done disk brakes before so the front will be easy however the rear are drums. The only drums I have ever done were on an ATV.

Does anyone have a parts list and procedure/guide? Any tips and tricks are appreciated.

From what reading I have done I know that the rear brakes are self adjusting (when you back up), and can be manually adjusted via the star wheel hole on the back of the hub plate. Can I just loosen this up when I put on new brakes and then reverse the truck to get them back in adjustment??

1997 F250 Heavy Duty 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab, SRW, Automatic E40D
BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Stainless Exhaust
Tymar Air Intake
TS Six Position Chip (stock,High Idle, +50, +75, +100, +120)
Tymar HPX line in hand but no installed yet
285/75r16 BFG All-Terrain KO2
ARE LSII Custom Color Tonneau bed cover
Color match Rhino spray in bed liner
------------------------------------------
Better To Be Tried By 12 Than Carried By 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:01 PM

The self adjusting does not work.
YouTube the job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 01:36 PM

This shows how it's assembled, but take your own pics before you start, and during the job.

The key to making everything work right is CLEANING and lubricating (yes, inside the brakes). Avoid breathing the dust & vapors, but use whatever it takes: compressed air, wire brushes, aerosol brake cleaner, toothbrushes, solvent tank, sandblaster, wirewheel... Keep taking pics (or just set up your phone to video you), but disassemble EVERYTHING & clean all the crap out. Then apply the proper grease to every point of metal-to-metal contact, but NOT so that it can work its way to the friction surfaces:

If you shop around, and order them in-advance, you can probably get MotorCraft shoes & drums (and pads & rotors) for about the same as cheap aftermarket brakes; substantially less than aftermarket gimmick brakes (frozen drilled ceramic...). When it's clean, lubed, & assembled correctly, the autoadjuster works.

But you should NOT rely on it for INITIAL adjustment. For the autoadjuster to work, the shoes must contact the drum with some force, and that doesn't always happen with new shoes (particularly if the drums are old). So either make the initial adjustment by trial-&-error (repeatedly expand the shoes & install the drum until it doesn't fit, then back off the adjustment), or buy the tool to make the initial adjustment:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in