Odd tire problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Odd tire problem

Hey guys, I got my Contis replaced under the recal, 5 new ones, same Brand, size and model.

Inflated them per door sticker, running empty all 4 rolled over to the extent it looked like I was rubbing a curb (but not on the outermost part, closer to the tread) of course the fronts were much worse. Truck drove dangerous, like 4 flat tires

Ford dealer is stumped, we checked pressure with multiple gauges at 65 psi, I even bought a new Snap-on gauge to triple verify LOL

Today, I bumped them up to max inflation pressure 80 psi just for an experiment, and the truck doesn't drive too bad, but of course they are a little rough riding now.

They are getting me a set of Michelin LTX M/S to replace them, but has anyone seen anything like this? It was all 4 which is odd.

I don't trust these tires of course now, if I have to run 80 psi empty, what happens when I am at 19K GCWR and have to take a corner? Not to mention almost 1000 miles at running at 65 PSI working the crap out of the sidewalls.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this

- 2013 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, Tow Package, 6.7, 3.55s
- 2008 XLT Crew Cab 4x4, Tow Command, Camper Special, Monroe Gas-magnums A GOOD OLD FRIEND OFF TO A NEW OWNER
- 2002 F250 S/C 4x4 PSD, 4 inch turbo back, zoodad, pre-pump and tank mods, QLJ5/PMT1 Tipton Econotune, Sonnax/Tricumulator, ISSPRO under cubby mount gauges, Prodigy controller, 3.5 inch rear blocks, KYB Monomax Shocks...GONE BUT MISSED
- 1971 F100 Ranger XLT shortbed 4x4, 445 FE, hotrod resto
- 1970 Fastback Mustang, SEFI 489 cid FE, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch, ported KC alum heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 11:58 AM

My Photos: (0)
could have been a defect in them to begin with. I always run mine at max psi...I have coopers right now.

Max psi for me because I am always towing or hauling.

08F250 CC 6.4 PSD
Banks 6 gun/ram air
40' Stoneridge 5th wheel, coming in at 15.4K.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I think they had to be defective, same brand, size, model, nothing different. The ones that came off, at times I would run at 60-65 if completely empty and they handled like a dream.

These rolled over like a flat tire, after putting 25 miles on them or so with high pressure, I "think" I may see something in the sidewall, hard to tell, because now I am watching closer. These almost have to be junk

Michelins are inbound, unfortunately they only found 3, one is on backorder and they are searching everywhere for the 4th.

On my 2002 Michelin LTX M/S changed the personality of the truck compared to Firestones, I hope its equally dramatic over this crappy set of Contis

- 2008 XLT Crew Cab 4x4, Tow Command, Camper Special, Monroe Gas-magnums A GOOD OLD FRIEND OFF TO A NEW OWNER
- 2002 F250 S/C 4x4 PSD, 4 inch turbo back, zoodad, pre-pump and tank mods, QLJ5/PMT1 Tipton Econotune, Sonnax/Tricumulator, ISSPRO under cubby mount gauges, Prodigy controller, 3.5 inch rear blocks, KYB Monomax Shocks...GONE BUT MISSED
- 1970 Fastback Mustang, SEFI 489 cid FE, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch, ported KC alum heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Well after a backorder on Michelin LTX MS2s, I should have my new tires this weekend or early next week.

Running empty at 80 psi still lets these new Contis roll over and run on the sidewall, although not nearly as much as running 65 psi, but still I don't dare go anywhere that can build heat or load the truck.

Can't wait to get them, I am expecting a dramatic difference, more to come.

The did cost me a little out of pocket, but seeing as the warrantied Contis were free, overall, I am still happy with the dealer

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 AM

My Photos: (0)
thanks for the update. I am sure in the long run it will be so much better.

08F250 CC 6.4 PSD
Banks 6 gun/ram air
40' Stoneridge 5th wheel, coming in at 15.4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in