Offset & Backspace - How Do They Relate? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick4x4 View Post
I think the Terra Grappler will fit the bill. The price is right!!! That's a neat size too. It will likely look pretty good on the 18x8.5" rims.

Getting to my cabin includes 5 miles of slick snowpacked roads followed by 1/4 mile of sometimes up to 12" of new snow (sometimes settled). The BFG AT has done a great job, but the Toyo AT's on my work truck do very well too. The Terra seems a lot like the Toyo AT's. Does it have the winter (mountain snowflake) rating?
Toyo owns Nitto and the two companies share tire technology so that's why the Terra Grappler and Open Country A/T are so similar. Just like the Trail Grappler is similar to the Open Country M/T.

The Terra Grappler, like the Open Country A/T, does not carry the mountain snow flake symbol. It does however still perform well in winter conditions.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM

i have an 03 f350 cc 4x4 i want to get 17" rims from disc tire, can i get them with the same back spacing as the stock 16" rims. i want to also get the nitto dura grap tires in the 285/75/17

03 f-350 cc 7.3 4x4 edge evolution, afe intake 4 in turbo back exhaust
97 f-350 cc 4x4 sc tuner, dieselsite electric fuel conv.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 AM

My Photos: (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
... What offset/inset should I get to keep the inside edge of the rim the same distance from the suspension as the stock wheels? ...
This is the wrong question to be asking for a steer axle.
When changing wheel/tire width, the new offset should be calculated to keep the center of the tire in the same place, to avoid changing the scrub radius.

Scrub radius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-
Douglas Campbell, P.E.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
- Never did get around to converting it to french-fry oil, which is why I originally stumbled upon this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firman View Post
i have an 03 f350 cc 4x4 i want to get 17" rims from disc tire, can i get them with the same back spacing as the stock 16" rims. i want to also get the nitto dura grap tires in the 285/75/17
Your OE 16x7 wheels have 4.25" of backspace.

The 17x8.5 ET -12 Falken ORC 909 has 4.25" of backspace. The rest of the models we offer for your application have 4.5" of backspace.

Give us a call at 1.888.459.4080 and anyone of our sales agents would be happy to help you select the best model for your needs.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM

My Photos: (9)
F250 2006 Up.

I currently have 17.5 X 17's on my 2006. At some point in the near future I'll be looking at tires. There are 18's [tires & wheels] which are takeoffs available, but like some of the other folks I don't know for sure if they will work ok on my truck. I have no suspension upgrades. The spare shows: 1LS, 5 o 32213. The "o" is small. 17 X 17 1/2J.

2005 - F-350, PSD, LWB, FX4, KR, Oxford White/Arizona Beige -- Bausch & Loam Sunglasses
My Photos -
SOLD - 2001, F-350, PSD Lariet, Oxford White, CC, LWB, DRW; [color = red]Maghytec Transmission Pan and Differiential Cover[/color]; Autometer Bezel; [color = blue] SPA Boost/EGT, Transmission and Differiential gauges[/color]; Ford Bug Shield; WeatherTech Rain Guard; Pioneer 6 disc changer; Ford Rubber mats; Cobra 29WXNWST CB Radio; Cobra CA 77 Power microphone; Husky Molded Flaps and floor mats. [color = green]Banks Power Pack[/color]. J&J Stainless Steel Running Boards. J&J Victory tail gate. Bilstein shocks. [color = red] 2003 heated TT Mirrors - with rear window defogger switch. [color = red ] C-Betr Mirrors. NMC2. .[color:"red"]SoCAPS Member[/color] [color = green] SoCaps Founding Member [/color]
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Ruble View Post
I currently have 17.5 X 17's on my 2006. At some point in the near future I'll be looking at tires. There are 18's [tires & wheels] which are takeoffs available, but like some of the other folks I don't know for sure if they will work ok on my truck. I have no suspension upgrades. The spare shows: 1LS, 5 o 32213. The "o" is small. 17 X 17 1/2J.
What year and model truck are the takeoff wheels from? We would be happy to see if they work on your application.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 11:43 AM

HELP WITH WHEEL AND TIRE FIT

Guys I am looking at the KMC XD strike wheel in chrome for a 2013 F250 super duty, Crew cab With the snow plow prep kit!
The wheel the shop is telling me will fit is
XD strike 20x10 8/170
-24 mm of set and tire size is 305/55/20 mickey thompson
I told him I do not want to trim or any of that, I am concerened that they may not fit? Help
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Rahn View Post
XD strike 20x10 8/170
I told him I do not want to trim or any of that, I am concerened that they may not fit? Help
Since you're dealing with a retail shop, the answer is easy. Have them guarantee that the tire/wheel combo will fit with no rubbing. Then have them test-fit one wheel/tire to a front hub. With the new tire/wheel installed do a lock to lock figure 8 in the parking lot. If there's no rubbing, you've bought yourself a set of tires and wheels. If there is rubbing, the cost is on the shop, and you can try a smaller combo.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Rahn View Post
Guys I am looking at the KMC XD strike wheel in chrome for a 2013 F250 super duty, Crew cab With the snow plow prep kit!
XD strike 20x10 8/170
A 10" wide wheel with a -24mm offset is on the aggressive side and is mainly used on lifted applications. Chances are you'll have some tire rub. Compared to where the factory wheels sit now, the 20x10 ET-24 will sit about 3.5" further out towards the fender, not including the tire. The 20x9 +18 Strike would be the better choice.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:22 PM

Resurrecting an old thread. I just did the V/B code mod on my 2001 Excursion 4x4. The stock wheels look a little small. I would like to go from stock size to 285/70/18. What spec rim will I need (18x7 vs 18x8), and is there still one in production. Or do I have to scour the country for the 2004 King Ranch rims?

Thanks
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

LT285/70R18 is a pretty rare size. Give us a call if we can help you with your fitment, your salesman will be happy to talk to you about what you are trying to achieve and he may be able to make some additional tire size recommendations.

As for wheels, here's a link to 18" wheels that are approved for your vehicle and will fit the LT285/70R18E size.

Wheel Products - Discount Tire Direct

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
LT285/70R18 is a pretty rare size.
There are at least two available, but expensive at around $400 each:
Toyo Open Country M/T Mud-Terrain 285/70R18

And Discount Tire Direct carries at least one brand for a similar high price:
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 285/70R18

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 09:46 PM

My Photos: (9)
Oh boy! I'm so lost. I can't get a straight answer no matter who I talk to.
I wanted the Moto Metal 951 wheels forever... Every truck I owned. Never happens. Now for my 2013 F350, Im told they don't make ones to fit my stock truck with 18" wheels due to offset/ backset... Who knows.
What in the world do I need in terms of backset or offset to stay stock without rubbing? I'm planning on the stock rubber size as well.
Thanks,
Totally Confused.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:19 PM

I realize this is an old thread.

I want to replace my stock dually aluminum wheels with stock steel rims.

I keep having problems with balancing and rim dents/ some leaks.

My truck is a work truck/ daily driver.

Steel rims cost less than aluminum and my aluminum rims look like crap.

DO I NEED SPACERS FOR FRONT AND REAR to make up for the thinner steel wheels?

Any other problems PROS/CONS to consider ?

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 260,000 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter, bellowed up pipes, rebuilt oil cooler, billet dip stick adapter, HD glow plug relay

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead george View Post
I realize this is an old thread.

I want to replace my stock dually aluminum wheels with stock steel rims.

I keep having problems with balancing and rim dents/ some leaks.

My truck is a work truck/ daily driver.

Steel rims cost less than aluminum and my aluminum rims look like crap.

DO I NEED SPACERS FOR FRONT AND REAR to make up for the thinner steel wheels?

Any other problems PROS/CONS to consider ?
Thank you for the post, panhead george.

What year F350 are the steel dually wheels off of? As long as the dimensions are correct (width, offset ETC.) spacers will not be needed.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in