Replacing brake pads in front on 350 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing brake pads in front on 350

Got the thing all torn apart to do ball joints. Good time to do pads. I have the entire caliper assembly off---can I put in pads without taking that apart? If not, should I install the assembly back to the knuckle before taking it apart for the pads?

2001 F-350 Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,4X4,Auto,7.3,2"lift,KYBs, 3.73, steel oil x-over, aFe Stage II Pro 7, AirCond mod, Fumoto, DP 60,80,100. AIH Delete, hi-lite/fog-lite on mod. CNC HPOP hoses. 360 degree illumination six light LED system for backup, fog and sides. Dead bird in grill. Part of finger in new ball joint nut. (really!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 06:42 PM

My Photos: (7)
I will try to help. You can replace pads in these trucks as long as you have 4 clips and 2 pad springs. They just fit into the caliper bracket. Go to POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics and Home of EDASŪ "Engine Damage Avoidance System" for Powerstroke Diesel Trucks to see a vid of replacing the pads in our trucks. I would at least have the rotor turned or (I never turn rotors) just replace the rotor. Brakes just work better when you replace the rotor too. Everything breaks in best this way.
As far as your knuckle problem, go to this web page: Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
This explains how to get down to the knuckle, and then it is a matter of removing ball joints and knocking the axle fork out to get to that seal. If you have to have it by the morning, you might think about putting it back together and doing this when you have a little more knowledge from someone and more time. I know when I am rushed, things just go wrong and take twice as long to do. Good luck to you and I hope I helped you.

2001 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3 4R100 3.73, BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA/KO, Motorcraft filters, Mile Marker manual hub locks w/ESOF (No hub "floating"), AIH delete, Rust-Oleum bed coating, Silverstar Ultra headlamps w/ clear headlight assemblies, 5,000K LED interior lamps; Moog greaseable u-joints, ball-joints, front hub assemblies; retractable bed hitch, original black CPS (BEST "mod" I have), Energy Suspension bushings, Red Heavy Duty ELC, Edge Evolution 15001 (for gauges), Walker BTM, Donaldson AIS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

That guzzles site helped with a lot of questions. One thing though---he says to use white grease inside the locking hubs. I only have Valvoline moly fortified all purpose bearing lube. I used that---hope it wont hurt anything. Thanks again

2001 F-350 Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,4X4,Auto,7.3,2"lift,KYBs, 3.73, steel oil x-over, aFe Stage II Pro 7, AirCond mod, Fumoto, DP 60,80,100. AIH Delete, hi-lite/fog-lite on mod. CNC HPOP hoses. 360 degree illumination six light LED system for backup, fog and sides. Dead bird in grill. Part of finger in new ball joint nut. (really!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:48 PM

My Photos: (7)
Just use that grease very light and you will be fine. Glad I could help you

2001 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3 4R100 3.73, BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA/KO, Motorcraft filters, Mile Marker manual hub locks w/ESOF (No hub "floating"), AIH delete, Rust-Oleum bed coating, Silverstar Ultra headlamps w/ clear headlight assemblies, 5,000K LED interior lamps; Moog greaseable u-joints, ball-joints, front hub assemblies; retractable bed hitch, original black CPS (BEST "mod" I have), Energy Suspension bushings, Red Heavy Duty ELC, Edge Evolution 15001 (for gauges), Walker BTM, Donaldson AIS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

I pretty much slopped it around. I saw a youtube video and the guy was using red grease---he practically filled the hub with grease.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in