Ruptured front to back brake line in 172 wb, pre-bent line not available? suggestions? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ruptured front to back brake line in 172 wb, pre-bent line not available? suggestions?

I called FORD to get a new brake line and apparently the line is not a serviceable part. It sounds like you have to bend a new line. Then I also hear that you can get them on ebay, pre-bent. How is everyone handling replacing the section of brake line that is in the frame rail that goes from the front to the back? Thanks.

2002 F-250, PSD 6-speed, CC, short bed, 4X4, Toreador Red w/ Silver accent, A.R.E mx cap, Weld Super Single II and 33s in the summer, x-springs, F-350 blocks and badges, AIC, proflaps, ITP intank mod, AirDog with 3 micron filter, isspro guages and TTM, scangauge, husky liners, alarm, xm stereo,stull 5399-p grille, centramatics, ccv mod, AIS Air Filter, Southbend CON O, Detroit Truetrac LSD, coolant filter, 203 stat with billet housing, blackcloud intake heater plug/boost fitting, reese titan hitch, fabcraft PTO cover/temp sender port, prodigy brake controller, ITP Boost Annihalator, oilguard bypass filter, Mag-Hytec rear dif, bilsteins, hellwig rear stabilizer bar, ATS housing, non-ebpv pedistal and exhaust flange, magnaflow 3.5dp exhaust, ITP reg return, turbomaster wastegate controller, and ceramic coated bellowed up pipes, PHP 50t and 80p, currently 127,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:17 AM

My Photos: (0)
I've never had one rust out, but I rinse the underside every time I get it muddy.

If you don't want to bend one yourself (which is pretty easy), buy a prebent one from whoever will sell you one. But it will probably still take some bending to make it fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 09:58 PM

Quality line

Most people in New England experiance this. I assume the place where the line popped that you are talking about is between the frame and fuel tank, which is usually where it happens. If you get under there and look, most likely that area will be filled with pine needles, leaves or mouse house gatherings. All of those things are great at retaining moisture and salt and those are good at rotting brake lines.

Get yourself some GOOD brake line. I bought a roll of line that is a copper/stainless steel alloy. When you snake it through that section between the tank and frame make sure to put a healthy amount of electrical tape on the end of the line so no crap gets in it. Also, before you snake the new line there make sure to blow out that area as best as you can with shop air. I spliced my line back to original line that is sort of on top of the frame in the front drivers side wheel well. Make sure to spray some rustoleum over the coupling/original line.

Do not use regular steel line or the line that has a plastic coating, otherwise you will be replacing or patching that line again in not too long.

2001 7.3L PSD F-350 4x4 XL Crewcab Longbed SRW: Superchips Flaspaq (economy tune), Airaid Intake system 400-422, FS2500, 3 gauge A-pillar pod with ISSPro boost, trans and pyro gauges, 4" AFE turbo back no-muffler aluminized exhaust, Tuff Country front leveling kit, 2" front lift shackles (from ebay), 265/75/R16 Toyo OpenCountry A/T's, CrossTread Industries Renegade XT ladder rack w/camper shell kit, Hawk cab height cap, Federal Signal strobes (in the corners), 2006 Fisher MM2 plow with Intensifier lights, ART cryo treated and sloted front rotors with performance pads. Coming soon: CCV mod

2001 7.3L PSD F-350 2WD DRW Standard Cab. 12' rackbody with power split liftgate.

Clicky sound and truck won't start/hard start? NAPA GPR110

Last edited by Kilo_G; 08-20-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 02:02 AM

In line tube can make you one.
Just be warned, lately I've seen people have crappie experience with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 08:57 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
I called FORD to get a new brake line and apparently the line is not a serviceable part. It sounds like you have to bend a new line. Then I also hear that you can get them on ebay, pre-bent. How is everyone handling replacing the section of brake line that is in the frame rail that goes from the front to the back? Thanks.

Common occurrence here in NJ and I have re-plumbed many brake system over the years. As mentioned use straight brake line stock from any auto parts dealer. They come in different lengths, pre-flared with the fittings but the length is never the "right size" and at some point you will likely need to cut and flare the tubing. You can also purchase brake line in a bulk roll. You WILL need a tubing cutter, a double flare kit and preferably a tubing bender but gentle bends can be done by hand if you are careful. Many Fords use bubble flares in certain places but I do not think you will run into that on your truck if my memory serves me right. - Good Luck!

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 08-21-2016 at 08:59 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
They come in different lengths, pre-flared with the fittings but the length is never the "right size" and at some point you will likely need to cut and flare the tubing.
A better option is to just "use up" the unneeded length in S-bends, leaving the original flares intact.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 05:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
A better option is to just "use up" the unneeded length in S-bends, leaving the original flares intact.
I once saw a truck where someone had literally wrapped the brake line around the left axle tube a number of times to make the connection using the similar thought process. Either way, not the best idea as the extra line can allow for vibration resulting in chafing or fatigue which can lead to a failure. I suppose as a temporary measure this might be acceptable if you intend to find a repair shop (once the vehicle is derivable again) that can make the brake line the correct length and flare it and then secure it...

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 06:05 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Copper nickle bulk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 02:11 AM

Quote:
...wrapped the brake line around the left axle tube a number of times... ...the extra line can allow for vibration resulting in chafing...
Anything can be done wrong. That doesn't mean the idea is bad, or that it's difficult to do right. It's far easier to get a bad flare than a bad S-bend, so I still recommend the bends. And I'm not talking about using a line that's 3' longer than needed.
Quote:
...or fatigue...
The bends will necessarily REDUCE the strain on the tubing. That's why Ford does it on some vehicles. Note the spiral near the center of this diagram:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in