The Diesel Stop banner

Steering Stabilizers

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 · (Edited)
This topic is being discussed on the 2011-2016 forum but I am interested in the general concensus.

I have now had three different stabilizers on my trucks: original Motorcraft (F81A-3E651-DA), the NAPA (SC-2961) and Bilstein (24-158848). They are all gas-charged.

The Motorcraft and NAPA are neutral and the pushrod does not automatically extend and provides equal resistance to force in both directions.
The Bilstein functions like a shock...the pressure pushed the rod outward at all times. When the Bilstein is mounted this outward pressure exerts a slight pressure which moves the steering to the left when mounted on the passenger side. Its a subtle pressure but turning the wheel to the left is slightly easier than to the right. In other words, when your tires hit an object that wants to deflect the wheels left, then the Bilstein actually assists this undesirable effect rather than abate it.

I wrote Bilstein about this and asked if these were designed for dual opposing positions.
The response is below:

Thanks for contacting us about our products. Our steering stabilizer part number 24-158848 is the correct part for your F250. This is a stock style replacement stabilizer for your truck. It is not designed to be used in pairs.

Most shocks we produce for trucks and SUV’s are a mono tube and this is the same for our stabilizers. A mono tube shock/stabilizer has to have a bit of gas force pressure for it to function correctly. If our stabilizer is causing it to pull but the factory Motorcraft unit does not you may want to look into a warranty return. Warranty returns go back through our distributors. "

Technical Sales and Warranty Support Expert

thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc

I may go back to a genuine Motorcraft Steering Stabilizer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Arctic, assuming all steering components (steering box, ball joints, pitman arm, drag link) are in good condition and there is no excessive play in the steering wheel is there a way to determine if the stabilizer is still good without removing it?
The reason I ask, I was reading a post about going to dual stabilizers when a couple people had said they removed their single stabilizer with no negative effects to the steering.

#3 ·
The only purpose of a "steering stabilizer" (another misnomer) is to prevent the steering wheel from breaking your wrists when a front tire hits a large obstacle (mainly off-road). If you don't expect to drive where that could happen, you don't need a stabilizer.

They're commonly MISused to mask steering, suspension, & alignment problems; and for decoration.

If the stabilizer has so much pressure to one side that it induces a pull on a vehicle that tracks straight without the stabilizer, the stabilizer is oversized &/or defective.

#4 · (Edited)
BigHorn,

I think its the same as a bad shock, sometimes a visual inspection may show leaking oil or cracked tube but other times it may not be evident until you can depress the piston by hand and feelits action (which should be possible by removal of the single bolt which attaches to the bracket at centerline).

I do notice a more firm feeling in the steering with the stabilizer mounted. Particularly on winding mountain roads and when roadways have a rough surface or potholes that can “grab the steering wheel”.

#5 ·
Good info in the above posts- thanks. Seems that our roads are all pot holes anymore and rough RR tracks. I will disconnect the rod end and see what condition it’s in.

#10 · (Edited)
From the driving I have done in the Land of Lincoln, I think a Steering Stabilizer-Damper-Dampener-Shock would be helpful.

I think they are beneficial over RR track crossings, potholes, manhole covers above/below grade of pavement, hitting rocks from rockslides, gravel roads and a common issue in AK of tire ruts in pavement caused by guys keeping studded tires on year round and also AK Springtime icepack as it starts to lose chunks at breakup!

#6 ·
I seemed to go through the stabilizers on a yearly basis. I replaced it with a Bilstein and will never go back. I have noticed no tendency to steer to the left, nor easier turning in one direction.

Just my $0.02

I run Bilstien shocks on my 67 Mustang. They are so much better than anything out there.

#7 ·
Good to hear.

The pull to left seems less after a few hundred miles.

#8 ·
Actually they are steering Dampers. They dampen the shocks coming through the tires into the steering gear box. Not a necessity, but they do help in keeping hard jolts from wearing down the steering components. They should have equal pressure in both directions though, so seems a bit odd that it is pressurized.

If you do warranty it, good luck getting anything back. I had a pair of Bilstien 5100 on an F150 that failed the bounce test, so I had to ship them back on my dime and I have yet to see the replacements, and it has been almost a year now.

#9 · (Edited)
“Answer:
A steering stabilizer is the exact same thing as a steering damper or steering dampener, they are two different ways of describing the same part.”

They dampen shocks and they stabilize the steering during vibrations (oscillations). Maybe its a regional thing but out here there is no single correct terminology.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.