Still Confused About Shocks - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Andyandtherman
  • 1 Post By yan7gin
  • 1 Post By Andyandtherman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Still Confused About Shocks

I'm looking to smooth out my street ride as much as possible (smooth is a relative term with my truck, I realize) and am thinking Bilsteins or Fox, but have no clue which models. Are the nitrogen charged shocks that much better? With Fox, they're referring to dual speed compression, etc, etc. I don't want to dump a bunch of cash for something that Sorry for dumb questions, but I literally am clueless about shocks. I took my measurements since the truck is lifted, etc, but would greatly appreciate a little guidance.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

1995 F350 XLT Regency Conversion 4X4, 7.3L Powerstroke. 38" Nitto Mud Grapplers. 6" Suspension Lift, Front Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5125s, Sulastic Rear Shackle Kit, Superchips Programmer, Intake Kit, Down Pipe, Free Flowing Exhaust, Etc.

0-60 in 20 minutes flat!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not a shock guru by any means, but I do love my Bilstein 5100 series shocks. They were a noticeable difference on my truck. I have heard good things about the Fox shocks too, but they were not widely known when I did my shock replacement. They are quite a bit more $ than the Bilsteins too.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:14 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage
I'm running the bilstein 5100 front and 5125 rear for my truck with 37 tire and love them.

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Why would you run 5100 up front and the 5125 in the rear? Is it a smoother ride that way as opposed to just buying 4 of either?

I also saw BILSTEIN B8 5165 on a suspension website. It has a separate canister beside the shock. Is that better for a smoother street ride?
NickKent likes this.

1995 F350 XLT Regency Conversion 4X4, 7.3L Powerstroke. 38" Nitto Mud Grapplers. 6" Suspension Lift, Front Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5125s, Sulastic Rear Shackle Kit, Superchips Programmer, Intake Kit, Down Pipe, Free Flowing Exhaust, Etc.

Last edited by Andyandtherman; 02-01-2017 at 07:19 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Garage
Because of the length. 5100 wouldn't fit so they give me 5125 (universal) with the same valving as the 5100

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ArcticDriver likes this.

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Ahhh. I'm going to go the same route you did. Where did you get them?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:55 PM

My Photos: (1)
On my 02 CC LB ( it is not yet loaded in my sig )
I just did an Icon front spring kit 6" and OUO rear traction block kit in the rear ( kept the stock stock springs )
I did Rancho 9000XL shocks and am very pleased. The truck rides awesome ! Better than stock .

I have had the same Rancho 9000 XL on my F550 in my sig for 5 years now. I really am fond of the adjustable settings. My next move would be the Fox adjustable also. I tow a lot and own a construction business, so the adjustable settings is nice .

I will ad that I did purchase Fox Performance steering stabilizers for both those trucks.

Mongus rigs;
1992 F-Superduty Dump truck 7.3 - Luk SMF 5spd 5:13 rears-Ricksons 19.5 wheels & tires-Banks get kits.
This is my work hoarse !

2000 F550 - Crew cab -Custom Hood
Harley Flamed Fenders & Doors.
4x4-7.3 - South Bend 6spd 4:88 rears. Loaded ! Volant intake
Hog Performance 4" SS exhaust
Banks wheel, turbine, exhaust brake-Ceramic coated
AFE Blade Runner Spyder
Strickley Diesel Return Fuel & Banjo Bolts
IH up pipes - ceramic coated
Powder coated everything.
Brake Performance-slotted & dimpled rotors with performance pads
DP Tuner 80 Tow
Coolant filter system
Evens Coolant
203 thermostat
Bullet Liner coated Dana 60 front end

2008 F-350 Harley Davidson Crew cab - long bed - 6.4 - Banks-Six gun-Air intake-IQ-Dual Exhaust

2004 Pace American 28' x 9' x 8' enclosed work trailer. 18k GVW. Tri axle - loaded

Custom Built Roll -Off dump trailer. 17yard box. Double dual axles. 20k GVW.

Fully decked 2003 Anni Fat Boy.
Rare "Reaper Tins"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyandtherman View Post
Ahhh. I'm going to go the same route you did. Where did you get them?

I called bilstein and ask them their thought, they had me taken a couple measurements and give me the part number of what to order.

I think i ordered them through summits racing

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

F350 2002 7.3

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I'll be doing just that. Thanks a lot for your time and help!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yan7gin View Post
I'm running the bilstein 5100 front and 5125 rear for my truck with 37 tire and love them.
So I called Bilestein and they said they don't have any shocks that are the length I need compressed or extended. They would fall short by 1/2" in extension, and 1" in compression. He did say that they have reservoir shocks that are for primarily off road applications that are at the lengths I need for mine. He said they may ride better as they cushion more on the bumps. I realize they cost nearly double, but is he correct in what he told me, or what I understood him to tell me?? It seems that could be a good option for maximum ride comfort??
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I installed the 5125s all around and what a difference! Thanks for all the help guys!
ArcticDriver likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in