TPMS issue - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TPMS issue

I just had new tires installed, and I have the low tire pressure warning. I installed a Kenwood HU that has vehicle information, and shows the tire pressures. It appears that when they reinstalled the tires, they got the right rear mixed with the left front. My left front shows the pressure of the right rear and right rear, the left front.

Is this because they are matched to each wheel and can't retrain themselves like on the 2015+ TPMS? Do I need to have them retrained every time I do a tire rotation?

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 06:58 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Most of the 2015+ trucks don't automatically relearn and need to be done manually.

Go back to the tire shop, they should have a tool to do it

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
Most of the 2015+ trucks don't automatically relearn and need to be done manually.

Go back to the tire shop, they should have a tool to do it

Might not for the Superduty until 2017, but 2015 and up F150 TPMS auto learn within 15 miles of driving. I have two sets of wheels for my F150 and can swap them back and forth and they never need to be trained, and report the correct air pressures too.

Sold due to neglect
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:33 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a 2016 Explorer and you need the tool or need to do it manually

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:40 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACD2 View Post
Might not for the Superduty until 2017, but 2015 and up F150 TPMS auto learn within 15 miles of driving. I have two sets of wheels for my F150 and can swap them back and forth and they never need to be trained, and report the correct air pressures too.

Huh. Imagine that! You must have a magical F150 because there are no Ford Motor Company vehicles with automatic sensor detection. Tire sensor LOCATION calibration can only be done manually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
Huh. Imagine that! You must have a magical F150 because there are no Ford Motor Company vehicles with automatic sensor detection. Tire sensor LOCATION calibration can only be done manually.

I guess both my 2016 and my 2018 have it. All I have to do to swap between my two sets of wheels is put them on and drive. When I got the second set of wheels I had new Motorcraft sensors installed,

and the dealer said they wouldn't program for them using the reset procedure. I drove it without them being reset and by the time I got home they were registered and reporting the correct air pressures.

Come Spring time, I swapped back to the original wheels and tires, and again, just drove without needing to reset them, with the correct air pressures showing up on the dash.

I have done several tire rotations myself and they always reported the correct air pressures, and never had any issues swapping between summer and winter wheels on either of the trucks.

Looks like the Ford Fusion 2017-2019 also has it.

Type of Relearn procedures:

• Manual, two types, standard ignition, and push-button start
  • Bonus OBD relearn procedure coverage as an option on the VT56, requires OBD module
  • Auto relearn

Auto relearn procedure:

• Confirm TPMS sensors are properly installed
  • Adjust tire pressures to placard value
  • Drive vehicle for up to 20 minutes above 15 mph or until TPMS light is off.

https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/arti...n-ford-fusion/

Sold due to neglect
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:24 PM

My Photos: (16)
No hijack intended, but I have a TPMS issue and rather than start a new thread, hope than I can get an answer here. I have a 2012 F350 6.7 diesel with the 'low pressure warning' TPMS. Anyway, I guess that's what it's called. I want real time pressure monitoring and want to know if I can have aftermarket TPMS valve stem sensors installed, replacing the OEM. I have TST Truck TPMS on my fifth wheel and can easily add the truck to the display. Is this swap possible without creating problems in the truck's computer system?

2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins and Bilstein Steering Stableizer, AirLift Air Bags with onboard compressor, BedLocker electric bed cover, Hellwig 1 1/4 inch rear anti-sway bar, 2017 G37 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission kit, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front 2 inch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, dash mount AutoMeter C2 fuel pressure gauge, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, Air Dog fuel filtration system, Hutch mod, header wrapped and high temperature painted Bellowed Up-Pipes.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
No hijack intended, but I have a TPMS issue and rather than start a new thread, hope than I can get an answer here. I have a 2012 F350 6.7 diesel with the 'low pressure warning' TPMS. Anyway, I guess that's what it's called. I want real time pressure monitoring and want to know if I can have aftermarket TPMS valve stem sensors installed, replacing the OEM. I have TST Truck TPMS on my fifth wheel and can easily add the truck to the display. Is this swap possible without creating problems in the truck's computer system?

You should be able to add the pressure cap transmitters. Look for ones that are a different frequency to what is on the truck. I believe the ones on the truck now are 315 Mhz. Tireminder makes a 433Mhz to Bluetooth kit that can monitor the RV and truck at the same time.

Sold due to neglect
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 04:35 PM

Thanks AC; yes, I know about the external screw on’s, but they’re basically a PITA. I’d prefer to have the internals with stainless steel stems.

2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins and Bilstein Steering Stableizer, AirLift Air Bags with onboard compressor, BedLocker electric bed cover, Hellwig 1 1/4 inch rear anti-sway bar, 2017 G37 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission kit, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front 2 inch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, dash mount AutoMeter C2 fuel pressure gauge, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, Air Dog fuel filtration system, Hutch mod, header wrapped and high temperature painted Bellowed Up-Pipes.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Well, you could do like I did and replace the head unit with a Kenwood Navigation with Maestro idatalink. It has vehicle information screen that shows the tire pressures. It also has gauges and track data. If you were ever curious what the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are, it will record them for you.

Best part, the stock speakers never sounded so good!

Sold due to neglect
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:19 AM

No, don’t wanna do that; I upgraded all speakers when I stripped the interior and insulated all walls and doors. The OEM HU works fine for me. I’m still waiting for an answer on about replacing the OEM TPMS sensors with aftermarket. Another thing about screw on’s, TST does not recommend using those with rubber valve stems, and according to Discount Tire, the rubber stems cannot be replaced with steel.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:10 PM

Can no one offer any input on swapping out OEM sensors for aftermarket?

Last edited by clev; 11-08-2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in