What's the Condition of Your Spare Tire? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's the Condition of Your Spare Tire?

Does your vehicle have a Spare Tire?

In the event that your vehicle does have a spare assembly, whether it be full size or a compact, do you know the condition?

Like other tires, a spare tire can be impacted from exposure to UV, from heat, and other conditions. To avoid having spare tire troubles, check out our write-up linked below and if you're in need of a replacement spare or an entire spare assembly, shoot us a PM and we'll make sure you're taken care of!

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:10 PM

A related, and perhaps more important question is: if you need the spare can you actually get the miserable SOB out of its storage location? Last summer I had a flat on my F250 while towing a gooseneck trailer on a gravel road. I had jacks, a good spare and no hope of getting the tire out from its location under the truck bed. It turned out I needed that stupid little gadget with the funny shape on the end that Ford uses to prevent spare tire theft, not that stealing spare tires is a huge issue out here in the hinterlands. I so rarely lower the spare that I didn't realize what I was doing wrong. Eventually I lost patience, phoned a buddy and had him pick up my cordless grinder, every spare battery he could find and a couple of cutting discs. Eventually I managed to cut the tire loose.

The point being that - in addition to checking the condition of your spare - you should check to ensure that you can actually remove it from storage in order to use it.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
A related, and perhaps more important question is: if you need the spare can you actually get the miserable SOB out of its storage location? Last summer I had a flat on my F250 while towing a gooseneck trailer on a gravel road. I had jacks, a good spare and no hope of getting the tire out from its location under the truck bed. It turned out I needed that stupid little gadget with the funny shape on the end that Ford uses to prevent spare tire theft, not that stealing spare tires is a huge issue out here in the hinterlands. I so rarely lower the spare that I didn't realize what I was doing wrong. Eventually I lost patience, phoned a buddy and had him pick up my cordless grinder, every spare battery he could find and a couple of cutting discs. Eventually I managed to cut the tire loose.

The point being that - in addition to checking the condition of your spare - you should check to ensure that you can actually remove it from storage in order to use it.
Very good point, Bob - it's important to know where all the necessary tools are located and that they are present in the vehicle.

I ran into a similar situation (sorta) when I first met my now wife. She had a flat and didn't know how to change it so she phone me for help. I wasn't familiar with how to release the spare from under her vehicle and of course there was no manual in the vehicle to reference. Luckily being in the industry I've had experience with similar cars and found where the terminal was after a short while to crank down the spare.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in