The Diesel Stop banner

2000 7.3 Powerstroke Excursion Sat for 7 years

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  mmsafd 
#1 ·
Hello! I recently purchased a 2000 7.3 Powerstroke Excursion that previously had sat for 7 years due to an fuel issue (quarter fix?) according to the previous owner, I have put a lot of work into it but am still running against some issues I need help with.
To start, we drained all of the fluids (diesel, power steering, oil, transmission, etc.) and so far we have replaced the fuel injectors and harnesses, fuel pump, hard & flex fuel lines, all filters, fuel sender, radiator, new batteries. With all new fluids and this work, when we turn it over it is just idling, it will accelerate until i move it into gear and then it will only idle. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
UPDATE: After researching the rough idle, we replaced the ICP sensor, which was definitely a problem. The idle has improved, but it will not go faster than 35 mph. I can pin the gas to the ground and it will not go faster than 35, and it struggles to get there. I have a professional mechanic friend who is going to come plug his computer in to give me more details.

#3 · (Edited)
Codes will be useful.

You mentioned mph but not RPMs. What are your RPMs doing when you accelerate?

BTW, you mentioned Power Steering Fluid but hust a reminder these trucks take ATF in the PS system.

#4 ·
Check your IPR tin nut. If the solenoid isn’t firmly in place, you won’t have full range of RPM. Fuel pressure could also be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thank you for responding! I'll apologize now for the long post but want to make sure you have all the info:
So we did not know that the PS system took ATF vs regular ps fluid. We vacuumed out the ps fluid and replaced with ATF.

Now we believe it may be in "limp mode" Which explains the rough idle and it struggling to accelerate. When in park the RPMs will go up, but when in drive the RPMs don't move.

We also ran a check and these were the following codes:
P1280 - which we replaced ICP sensor so we aren't sure why that's coming up,
P0603 - PCM failing, so we've looking into replacing the PCM now but have been told by a mechanic friend to try a few other sensors before replacing the PCM
P1316 - Injector Driver - so we replaced the Glow Plug Relay which removed that code,
and P1247 - Turbo Boost, so we replaced the MAP sensor and CPS sensor.
We ran the codes again and some were gone and had new ones: P1000 OBD Systems, still P0603 for the PCM and P0683 Glow Plug Control.

Anyone know what P1000 code is referring too?

We have ordered a IAT sensor and the Glow Plug module to replace as well but isn't here yet. This thing had a mountain of issues, nonstop work for five days hoping to get her running good and out of limp mode. Ill continue to update. Thank you!!

#7 ·
Some of this stuff could be just the PCM./ If the PCM isn't reading things correctly than it will set a code. Before you buy another thing do some tests on these sensors before you buy a part you may not need. Sometimes you can get a code but something down the line caused the code and not the sensor itself. I hope your guy know this stuff.

#8 ·
Another Update: After replacing the IAT sensor and Glow Plug module, it was still in limp mode. After more research, we decided to replace to IDM and the engine sounds great!! with no continued hard idle as well as being able to go above the 35 mph with plenty of power. We are still receiving the two codes mentioned above : P1000 & P0603, which we will look into more, but are extremely happy we can drive it now.
Also to clarify, even though it may not have been essential to the engine running to replace all that we did, we didn't hesitate to do so because we have plans to travel the country full time pulling a camper in this vehicle, & will not have the capability, money, tools, workshop, etc. to do the repairs on the road, and we are doing them all ourselves without paying any professional mechanics.

#10 ·
P1000 is simply Ford's way of saying OBD tests are not complete. You'll get that code every time you clear codes until the engine runs long enough for some of the on board monitors to run.

#11 ·
Congratulations on getting it running.

Keep us posted on your travels.

#12 ·
Thank you all! So after having it running for a few days we have noticed there is a lull between gears. After some research I believe it is a shift solenoid, but we aren't sure if we need to replace the whole solenoid pack/block or just a specific one. Or even if not necessary may just be best to replace the whole block while we have a workspace & tools. If anyone has any advice on that it would be appreciated, we're not sure what mileage these usually go out at, or if it was from the sitting. This Excursion has 147k miles.
Today, we replaced the breaks and rotors and noticed our vacuum line to our 4x4 solenoid is completely deteriorated as well as the rubber to our axel, so we'll be replacing those and checking the rest to see what kindof shape they are in.
Even with all the work we've done thus far, this is one beast of a vehicle and we love it! Thanks everyone!

#13 ·
Maybe good to start a new thread with a subject title specific to the A/T.

#15 ·
Not sure if it could be related but I had an issue with my accelerator pedal being bad. It caused the engine not to come off idle and if it did it shifted weird. No check engine light when it happened. Replaced the pedal assembly and it drive SO much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.