7.3 Transplanted to 5.4/6.8 Rust Free Body? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 7.3 Transplanted to 5.4/6.8 Rust Free Body?

Sadly my Ex is now to the point where I need to make a decision. I need to either repair my Ex or find a rust free 5.4/6.8 body and migrate my 7.3 drivetrain to the rust free body. Talking with some other folks it appears there may be a concern regarding other aspects of such a transplant. Wiring harnesses are one concern. Or maybe even the only concern? Suspension and drivetrain modifications not withstanding.

Has anyone attempted this feat or have any input into why this would not work?

I know the under hood wiring harness will need to go with the engine. Will the under dash fuseblock and wires need to go? Will the fuel lines need to be added/replaced?

Thanks

2001 Excursion XLT 7.3L 2x4 205K
DPTuner, Air Springs, F-350 rear springs, 5R100 TC, John Woods engine/trans spacer, RedHead steering gearbox, Hellwig rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks

2010 Jayco Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Of course, it can be done. Given enough time and money, I can transplant ANY engine into ANY vehicle.

Off the top of my head, you'll need to replace the transmission since no gas engine trans will bolt to a 7.3L. You will need to underhood wiring, probably the under dash, too. You will need the instrument cluster, the fuel system, the PCM, and do something about the front suspension. At least the springs and shocks will have to change, I don't know about the rest of the parts. The 7.3L is a lot heavier than either gas engine.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Hi Mark, Thanks for your response. This would be done by me in my time. So yeah, it will take a decent amount. I was planning to use my complete drive train, PCM, wiring harnesses, suspension, etc. I was really wondering if there was any 'gotchas'. Or just a few tips from someone who has done it? Just trying to come up with pros and cons I guess. But maybe the biggest con is just my time.

2001 Excursion XLT 7.3L 2x4 205K
DPTuner, Air Springs, F-350 rear springs, 5R100 TC, John Woods engine/trans spacer, RedHead steering gearbox, Hellwig rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks

2010 Jayco Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Garage
Would be far easier to find a 7.3 truck with a bad engine to swap it into.

02 F350 Lariet CCLB 4wd Dually 7.3 6sp M. 122,000 miles, Manual hubs and transfer case.
Stock as of yet. So far have bought
4" MBRA turbo back with muffler
GTP 38R BB turbo and WWII wheel and high flow housing, Non EBV pedestal, Adrenaline HPOP.
New IH up-pipes, Aluminum intake plenums, 203* Therm with aluminum housing, Boost relief valve, all new boots, FPRx and HPRx. Coolant and Trans Filter kits. Max AC Assist control Valve. 8 gauges,
Boost,Pyro,Fuel,HPOP,LPOP pressure. Water,Oil and Trans Temp. Need tunes and injectors yet.
03 26' CM 4 Horse trailer and 25' GN flat bed.

06 F-350 Lariet CCSB SRW 4wd Auto 6.0 78,000
miles. Atlas 80 with Ed's lifetime, Blue spring, MBRP 4" turbo back with muffler, Bully Dog for monitoring. So far no problems.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Hauler View Post
Would be far easier to find a 7.3 truck with a bad engine to swap it into.
I plan to do a swap just like this. I do have an '02 7.3 that is mechanically excellent and '03 6.8 Ex that has a great body and a dead engine.

Finding a 7.3 Excursion in good shape is not easy. They are very expensive when I see them come up for sale and usually have enough mods to scare me anyway.

I have an 6.0 '03 to drive while doing the body swap. And since I have two complete vehicles I should have l the parts.

I wish I could find more information other than people who have not done it saying not to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in