Battery cable - positive side - terminal broke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery cable - positive side - terminal broke

I was replacing both batteries in my 04 excursion (6.0) this afternoon> The positive terminal on the passenger side was badly corroded and when I tried to lift it off the battery the positive cable coming from the driver side that is crimped into the terminal just snapped off. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out a fix, but the back end of the terminal connector is also a crimped connection to another positive lead and no wiggle room to work on this.

Anyone else have this happen? is it just break down and buy the whole assembly - or is there an easier fix?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3310038.JPG
Views:	4349
Size:	549.6 KB
ID:	92354  

2000 F350 4x4 Crew, 3.5" lift, Rancho 9000 and 35"BFG.

2004 X 4x4, leather, 4" lift, MX6 and 35" Grapplers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:34 AM

This photo album shows how to repair it correctly under $15:

This is another option:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:05 PM

I recently redid my battery cables with new terminals using NOCO TZKIT3 Lead-Free Military Grade Zinc Battery Terminal Kit.

The kit was $9. I have about another $40 in new terminal lugs and 00-AWG welding cable between the batteries now. Best part is, you don't have to take the terminals off the battery when servicing things.

2000 Excursion 7.3L Diesel 4x4, BTS Tranny, AFE intake,Stage1 Single Shot Injectors , GTP38R turbo, EBV delete, 6 position TS chip, Adrenaline HPOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you need it now and can't wait a week for shipping to occur just go down to your local NAPA parts store and pick up a cable assembly.

Done.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Called a good diesel guy in town (worked for Ford for 20+ years) and he said WHY pay the $300 for the ford harness when you can go to the battery guy in town and he'll rebuild your cables in an hour.

I did. And DONE - all for $46.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4010037_1.JPG
Views:	10858
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	92442  

2000 F350 4x4 Crew, 3.5" lift, Rancho 9000 and 35"BFG.

2004 X 4x4, leather, 4" lift, MX6 and 35" Grapplers.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4LCM View Post
Called a good diesel guy in town (worked for Ford for 20+ years) and he said WHY pay the $300 for the ford harness when you can go to the battery guy in town and he'll rebuild your cables in an hour.

I did. And DONE - all for $46.
I wish my town had a "battery guy" that worked that cheap.

Heck, I am not even sure my town has a guy who will do that work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
...WHY pay the $300 for the ford harness when you can...
...click the Amazon link I posted?
Quote:
...And DONE - all for $46.
The cables are pretty, but that battery terminal is garbage, and there's nothing to protect all that bare copper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
I am not even sure my town has a guy who will do that work.
Then become him.

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcastle View Post
I recently redid my battery cables with new terminals using NOCO TZKIT3 Lead-Free Military Grade Zinc Battery Terminal Kit.

The kit was $9. I have about another $40 in new terminal lugs and 00-AWG welding cable between the batteries now. Best part is, you don't have to take the terminals off the battery when servicing things.
I realize this is an old post but I'm dealing with corroded terminals on my 2005 Excursion and have been planning to upgrade my alternator so it makes sense to upsize the battery cables as well.

Can you post a photo of your batteries with your current cable setup that you described in the post from last year?
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 03:31 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon134 View Post
I realize this is an old post but I'm dealing with corroded terminals on my 2005 Excursion and have been planning to upgrade my alternator so it makes sense to upsize the battery cables as well.
There's no need to upsize the battery cables for a higher amp alternator, just the cable between the junction at the battery cables and the alternator. The battery cables are already sized for starting current, which is WAY more than any alternator you put on will put out. Unless the battery cables are corroded or otherwise deteriorated, there's no need to change them out.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Quote:
There's no need to upsize the battery cables for a higher amp alternator, just the cable between the junction at the battery cables and the alternator. The battery cables are already sized for starting current, which is WAY more than any alternator you put on will put out. Unless the battery cables are corroded or otherwise deteriorated, there's no need to change them out.
Thanks for the reply. Yep, my cable terminal on the drivers side battery is falling apart. I'm having a tough time finding a replacement terminal end for it so I figured this would be the time to just upgrade the entire cable assembly.

Based on your comment, I don't need to.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 03:20 PM

2000 Excursion 7.3L Diesel 4x4, BTS Tranny, AFE intake,Stage1 Single Shot Injectors , GTP38R turbo, EBV delete, 6 position TS chip, Adrenaline HPOP
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 03:41 PM

KCastle,
You appear to be missing one green felt ;-)

So are the cables original and only the terminals new? Or did he build the entire length new?

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 03:51 PM

That looks like a great setup. I'd like to just replace the terminal ends and reuse the current cable but assume I'd have to purchase a hydraulic assisted crimper to ensure a good connection.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:26 PM

My Photos: (7)
I see nothing wrong with the “bare copper” ends. Just replaced six 6V batteries in a motorhome 5 years old. A touch of spray and a minute of 150 grit paper and they look like they will go another 5 years at least.

Only reason the batteries were replaced was the owner never checked the water and boiled them dry.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:28 PM

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
That looks like a great setup. I'd like to just replace the terminal ends and reuse the current cable but assume I'd have to purchase a hydraulic assisted crimper to ensure a good connection.
I made my own cables last year. There is a tool that you can use a small sledge hammer with. I use it a lot at work when we add a second battery in an RV.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in