Battery Drain - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:44 AM

My Photos: (8)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good chance your trailer plug is always hot. See if you are getting 12 Volts to the plug when the key is off. Buddy had a trailer that kept draining the battery because he had a inverter that was hooked to the fridge. Look for a extra wire coming of the positive side of either battery and trace it out. Relay could be stuck closed (I have not seen that, but could happen I guess). I had a 99 F350 that did not come with the factory relay plug/ harness. The previous owner just ran a hot wire from battery to trailer plug.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Location: midwest, Tecumseh, MI, Standish Pond and River Raisin
My Photos: (2)
Following along with your suggestions on my ‘99 F250 7.3 trying to determine current drain.
Both batteries disconnected, Fluke set to 300mA scale. Connect meter across + terminal of battery to battery cable. Meter OL. Pull fuse #8 in power distribution box then drain shows 299 mA. The owners guide shows that fuse as Diesel alternator.
?? Where to now.

'99 7.3L SD F250 4X4 manual 6 speed - original.

"We got a lot of stupid politician's in this country" C.S.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:53 PM

Location: midwest, Tecumseh, MI, Standish Pond and River Raisin
My Photos: (2)
Well the more I work on this truck . The more bad numbers I get so you can probably disregard my previous message above. Here’s a picture of the meter. Bulk lead to cable+ and red to + post.
Readings: .79 mA and when I pull fuse #6 in PDB it reads .38mA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAF2C35E-BCA6-416F-B399-72DB600F14B7_1544816872357.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	126160  

'99 7.3L SD F250 4X4 manual 6 speed - original.

"We got a lot of stupid politician's in this country" C.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:15 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd73man44 View Post
Well the more I work on this truck . The more bad numbers I get so you can probably disregard my previous message above. Here’s a picture of the meter. Bulk lead to cable+ and red to + post.
Readings: .79 mA and when I pull fuse #6 in PDB it reads .38mA

Your meter in the picture is set to amps and is displaying 790mA. 50mA on your meter will read 0.050 in the 10 amp scale.

Also, be sure that you are waiting the requisite 40 minutes after shutting down the truck and breaking any connections to the battery. Not all modules shut down immediately and most notably the battery saver feature in the GEM module / Central Junction Box in your 2000 Excursion. For some perspective note that "generally" a module will draw ~10mA and an incandescent bulb such as a glove box light may draw ~1A. It is also possible (read that as I have discovered this several times over the years) that a harness concern where water has leeched into a poorly sealed splice or a chafed wire that has dirt and moisture at the point where the circuit insulation is worn off CAN create a parasitic drain as these example can leech power.

Lastly, if you suspect a drain is coming from the alternator, the proper way to discern that is to disconnect both the battery cable and the harness connector on the alternator and retest.

!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 12-15-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in