Dead truck - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dead truck

Coming home the other night truck starts sputtering like it's not getting fuel. I'm about a mile from the gas station,tank is a just under a 1/4 full. Tried to make it but it just died. Towed it home ,started looking at it fuel bowl empty and fuel pump runs . Put a hose from back of pump into 5 gallons of diesel and cycled the key about 5 times and sucked nothing to the bowl. Figured pump was done, installed new pump on truck cycled key 5 or 6 times and pump runs but doesn't fill fuel bowl. I'm thinking the foot rotted off in the tank ,or am I missing something. I haven't tried putting the new pump in the 5 gallons of diesel but figured it should of been able to suck it through the lines. I filled the fuel bowl hoping for it to start but it just cranks and doesn't give any puffs of smoke from the exhaust. Let me know your thoughts.

2002 Excursion limited 4x4 v-code springs,Bilstein shocks,Red Head steering box,Sct X-3 with DP-Tunes,Glow shift Gauges, Hellwig rear sway bar,Firestone air bags on the rear,Silverline Stainless 4" exhaust (SOLD)

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Qc 4x4
[email protected] filter,Silverline 4" exhaust,Autometer gauges,Smarty,Raptor 150 (Sold)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 Firestone airbags ,190 amp alternator ,mbrp 4" exhaust( My old Silverline sounded better) Dp Tuner F5 chip,Glowshift gauges ,Kenwood double din /nav radio,Ford AIS intake

2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie STOCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:25 PM

BlueOx1, is it possible you have any type of debris in tank clogging the pickup? Or possibly a blocked vent tube in the back preventing air from getting in?

2001 Excursion XLT 7.3L 2x4 205K
DPTuner, Air Springs, F-350 rear springs, 5R100 TC, John Woods engine/trans spacer, RedHead steering gearbox, Hellwig rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks

2010 Jayco Eagle
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:35 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Maybe you need to prime the new pump. They won't pump air all that well. Try putting a shop vac with the hose connected to blow air over the tank filler and pressurize the tank a bit when you turn the key on.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

I got it started filled the filter as far as I could and cycled the key about 10 times and tried cranking it off and on for about a hour and got it to start. I think the pick up rotted off the tank though and I will probably drop the tank in the next week or so. Unfortunately my other vehicle was down for a a air conditioning compressor,condenser. So my family got to see the joys of riding around in my 08 e350 work van. Thanks for the ideas, On a side note is it just the intank housing you replace or do you order the filter sock and prescreen separately from the intank housing?

2002 Excursion limited 4x4 v-code springs,Bilstein shocks,Red Head steering box,Sct X-3 with DP-Tunes,Glow shift Gauges, Hellwig rear sway bar,Firestone air bags on the rear,Silverline Stainless 4" exhaust (SOLD)

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Qc 4x4
[email protected] filter,Silverline 4" exhaust,Autometer gauges,Smarty,Raptor 150 (Sold)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 Firestone airbags ,190 amp alternator ,mbrp 4" exhaust( My old Silverline sounded better) Dp Tuner F5 chip,Glowshift gauges ,Kenwood double din /nav radio,Ford AIS intake

2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie STOCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in