Fixing Ex Rust & Body Mounts - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Fixing Ex Rust & Body Mounts

So I'm preparing to get the rust taken care of on my 01 Ex and wondering what others have done for quality replacement parts? In talking to my local dealer and have found a number of pieces that are NLA. I've found this site by Mill Supply who manufacture a few parts. But what have you guys done about the bottom of the doors or around the wheel well arches in the rear?

IIRC, there was one gentleman on the forum here who repaired his rocker panels by bonding them back on but I can't seem to find his thread yet. Thinking of going that route.

Regarding the doors, I'd rather not replace the entire door with a used door because my truck has an anti-theft serial number marked on each body panel/door. I haven't taken it to a shop for an estimate yet to see what the cost difference is between replacing and painting an entire door or repairing the rust on the bottom but am planning to do so in a few weeks after I replace the ball joints and tie-rods, etc..

I'm contemplating repairing the rocker panels myself as I have some skills. But I am far from being a professional body man and if the rocker panels aren't perfect when I'm done with them they don't show much anyway. I'm a little OCD so I would be hard on myself if they are not close to perfect.

I have to replace the body mounts too. Has anyone successfully attempted replacement of these without a lift?

And while I'm under there I've thought about media blasting the entire bottom so I can treat it with POR-15. As I understand it the best POR-15 application requires a bare metal surface. Is that correct?

This truck has lasted 18 years. I'd like to prepare it for another 18-20 years.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

2001 Excursion XLT 7.3L 2x4 205K
DPTuner, Air Springs, F-350 rear springs, 5R100 TC, John Woods engine/trans spacer, RedHead steering gearbox, Hellwig rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks

2010 Jayco Eagle

Last edited by absolutezero273c; 03-30-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:49 AM

I went and checked on getting my 02 excursion fixed (inner and outer rockers replaced) I was told the issue you run into on the excursion is where it ties into the body after the rear doors. 3 reputable shops looked at it and turned it down . They said it could just turn into a nightmare getting into it. We ended up just buying another one and swapping most parts over, The 02 was equipped better than my 01 and after having the bench in the 2nd row now I prefer the captains chairs for 2nd row. If you can do it yourself that's great just doesn't seem to be alot of people want to do the rust repair on these vehicles.

2002 Excursion limited 4x4 v-code springs,Bilstein shocks,Red Head steering box,Sct X-3 with DP-Tunes,Glow shift Gauges, Hellwig rear sway bar,Firestone air bags on the rear,Silverline Stainless 4" exhaust (SOLD)

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Qc 4x4
[email protected] filter,Silverline 4" exhaust,Autometer gauges,Smarty,Raptor 150 (Sold)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 Firestone airbags ,190 amp alternator ,mbrp 4" exhaust( My old Silverline sounded better) Dp Tuner F5 chip,Glowshift gauges ,Kenwood double din /nav radio,Ford AIS intake

2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie STOCK
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BlueOx1, I'll have to take it in for a few estimates and see what the shops say before I make any decisions as to whether or not I'm going to tackle it. I don't believe mine is rusted up to behind the rear doors. I'll have to check.

2001 Excursion XLT 7.3L 2x4 205K
DPTuner, Air Springs, F-350 rear springs, 5R100 TC, John Woods engine/trans spacer, RedHead steering gearbox, Hellwig rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks

2010 Jayco Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:53 PM

It's the rockers that will get you, Good luck with it. I don't want to see any of them rust away.

2002 Excursion limited 4x4 v-code springs,Bilstein shocks,Red Head steering box,Sct X-3 with DP-Tunes,Glow shift Gauges, Hellwig rear sway bar,Firestone air bags on the rear,Silverline Stainless 4" exhaust (SOLD)

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Qc 4x4
[email protected] filter,Silverline 4" exhaust,Autometer gauges,Smarty,Raptor 150 (Sold)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 Firestone airbags ,190 amp alternator ,mbrp 4" exhaust( My old Silverline sounded better) Dp Tuner F5 chip,Glowshift gauges ,Kenwood double din /nav radio,Ford AIS intake

2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie STOCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in