help identifying a part - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help identifying a part

Hey guys I'm a new member to the forum. I have a 2004 Excursion 6.0 Powerstroke. I replaced the passenger side battery and was wondering what attaches to the two screw clips located on the right side of the battery (when looking from the front of the truck). From all the pictures I've seen on the internet, it looks like the coolant tank attaches there on gas models. Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to being a member of the EX community.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3666.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	127130  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3667.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	127132  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 AM

It's more expensive to make a battery tray for every vehicle than to make one that fits many. So Ford just orders one from that supplier, and ships it to all the assembly lines.

If it bothers you, remove the U-nuts. They might be handy to have a spares later on, and removing them will protect them from battery acid leaks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Steve. I appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:54 AM

These are for attaching a heat shield that will protect your battery from the heat of the engine and make it last longer.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:50 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
If it were a 7.3L that would be where the coolant reservoir attaches. There are two bolts into the passenger side battery tray and another up on the radiator support. Maybe those on your battery tray are just holdovers from the earlier trucks with the 7.3L.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:30 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Yes, the coolant degas bottle was attached there on 5.4L and 6.8L gas engine applications... and as mentioned, that is where the degas bottle for 7.3L applications was bolted in.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWarkentin View Post
These are for attaching a heat shield that will protect your battery from the heat of the engine and make it last longer.
Don,

Any chance you would have a picture of the heat shield you speak of? Iíve seen the cheap cloth/foam ones but nothing that would attach there on the passenger side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in