Just did V-codes in front, trying to decide if I really need B's in back? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
mws

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just did V-codes in front, trying to decide if I really need B's in back?

Have 32" tires.

Installed part # 2C3Z 5310 HA in front. Did get about 1.5" of lift over my dead Ex D code springs, but I imagine this just put the Excursion back to normal? It's about 39" to top of the wheel cutout in front and about 40-41" in back. The stock swaybar now looks level.

Also installed the Hellwig sway bar in back....before I did anything. That made a huge difference in straight-line stability and I gave it a workout driving it to Sacramento one very windy day, going up Hwy 80 thru Benecia. Northern Californians know that area as basically permanently gusty. The trees are all slanted in one direction. The Ex was solid as a rock, and easy to drive straight.

Installed Bilstien
Front: BE5-2818
Rear: BE5-6209

My question is this: The Ex had Sachs shocks in front and Edelbrock shocks in the rear and used to transfer every stinking bump on the road. Now, with the V codes up front, the rear sway and the Bilstiens all around, with my stock rear springs, it's very smooth. Sucks up smaller bumps and rough edges very well. I even drove about 40mph on a local dirt road. It was surprisingly nice.

If I plan to never tow, and mostly will use it for long road trips and once a year to Death Valley and Joshua Tree (long, open gravel roads at 40-55mph), do I "need" to install the rear B codes? (modified, of course).

I have a nice, matched used set of B codes from a truck that had about 90K on it. I am curious to know if they will raise the back up much more, and if the ride will be any harsher. I'd rather not have to raise the truck with a front lift.

Right now, it seems the Bilstiens are the major contributor to the smoother ride.

2001 7.3L PSD Excursion Limited. 3.73 Final Drive. As of Feb, 2012, 163K miles and going strong.
-Diamond-Eye AL Steel 4" turbo-back
-Ford AIS intake
-Tony Wildman 6-position chip
-Tall guys take note: I installed later model F250-350 seats with adjustable headrests. Makes all the difference.

2003 BMW 760Li (the V12)

1999 Ford F250 V10 SD extended cab, 8' bed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

former 300zx repair and modification shop owner. Nissan 300zx expert to the rest of the world, relative PSD newbie in this one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mws; 06-17-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
mws

pics of the install job, question for front V-code guys

Question for guys with V codes in front. Once the truck is on the ground, notice how the spring is close to being flat. Yes I torqued all the spring and shock bolts on the ground. Is that how yours look as well?

I guess I was expecting the spring to arch a bit more downward, like my F250, but that does have 3-leaf springs in front, not 2-leaf. The Excursion with the V codes in front (stock rears) has a good stance. About 1" lower in front, right now.

ExcursionSuspension - mwsmith's Photos

2001 7.3L PSD Excursion Limited. 3.73 Final Drive. As of Feb, 2012, 163K miles and going strong.
-Ford AIS intake
-Tall guys take note: I installed later model F250-350 seats with adjustable headrests. Makes all the difference.

2003 BMW 760Li (the V12)

former 300zx repair and modification shop owner. Nissan 300zx expert to the rest of the world, relative PSD newbie in this one.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Hey MWSmith-
I'm looking to do the V springs soon also. I had the same question about needing the B's in rear... What part of Northern Calif are you from? I'm in the East Bay. I see you have a nice mechanics 'lift'!! Did you do this at home or at your shop? Would you rent 'lift/shop' time??

BTW I have a 2002 7.3 cream/brown Limited Excursion, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 PM

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You need the modded B's for the best ride and towing..will net 2" lift..
Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Hey Cary-
What do you suggest if I DON'T want a lift? I want to stay at 'stock' height.. Not even 2 inch lift...
Old 06-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Yes! And make sure to work with CaryT! He knows it. If you don't want a lift, do the B's and then replace the factory block with a 1" aftermarket one. But I think with V's up front you need the stock blocks in the rear. That's what I had before going to 35's and I felt it was level to nose high. The B's fix so many handling issues...but to fix everything, go B's and traction bars. Have fun! The Ex is the best SUV ever made but it will make you work for it! Labor of love!

2005 Excursion EB 6.0L
35" MT ATZ's, Dana 60 frt, 4.30 gears, ARB's, 18" 2004 KR wheels, Dyna-trac ProSteer Ball Joints, 2" PMF spring hangers, V/B-Code springs, PMF Traction Blocks, PowerSlot Cryos, CTPerformance valved Bilsteins-dual frts/single rears, ProComp wFox dual steering stabs, Icon adj track bar, 2008 TT Power Fold/Ext mirrors, 1000 Watts of "stealth" Boston Acoustics power, BA drivers, JL Audio SL13.5 Sub, Rockford 360.2 digital sound processor, SecondSkin Audio DampPro and LuxLinerPro sounddeading, F650 2-hole dash with custom switch panel and integrated CB, Painless Performance 20 circut aux fuse panel and relays, 4x2 rear glass gas struts(they really do help!), Kussman bumper mounted block heater plug, Prodigy P3 brake controller, DC Power XP270 AMP alternator, ISSPro Performax gauges, DieselSite Coolant Filter, blue spring upgrade, 4" Silverline, SCT, ARPs, EGRx, DPC Triple, PowerMax, Optimas, Atomic LED cab lights
Old 06-26-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
mws

Made my decision, did the B code mod, but a bit differently

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCJohnston View Post
Yes! And make sure to work with CaryT! He knows it. If you don't want a lift, do the B's and then replace the factory block with a 1" aftermarket one. But I think with V's up front you need the stock blocks in the rear. That's what I had before going to 35's and I felt it was level to nose high. The B's fix so many handling issues...but to fix everything, go B's and traction bars. Have fun! The Ex is the best SUV ever made but it will make you work for it! Labor of love!

check this link for how I did my B code mod. I did not add as much extra height over the stock G codes in the back, but I am at least 2" higher in back than front. The 1" block you mention is a great idea as well. Still might do it. Nice suggestion.

ExcursionBcode - mwsmith's Photos

-Ford AIS intake

2003 BMW 760Li (the V12)

Old 06-26-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_opala_man View Post
Hey Cary-
What do you suggest if I DON'T want a lift? I want to stay at 'stock' height.. Not even 2 inch lift...
I'm in the same boat, still trying to decide.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
mws

Got a few PMs and my front ride height is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws View Post
Question for guys with V codes in front. Once the truck is on the ground, notice how the spring is close to being flat. Yes I torqued all the spring and shock bolts on the ground. Is that how yours look as well?

I guess I was expecting the spring to arch a bit more downward, like my F250, but that does have 3-leaf springs in front, not 2-leaf. The Excursion with the V codes in front (stock rears) has a good stance. About 1" lower in front, right now.

ExcursionSuspension - mwsmith's Photos
Cary T. and also, Stewart from Ford Trucks Enthusiasts looked at my link and the front V codes look correct when the truck's weight is on them.

-Ford AIS intake

2003 BMW 760Li (the V12)

Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 AM

mws, nice job. I forgot to mention I too eliminated the b-code overload....but I also didn't reuse the factory slapper leaf. You could remove that and drop down a little more. The b-codes are strong enough to moderate the wrap issues that the slapper was trying to do on the stock setup but the best way to eliminate is to also go to traction bars. Also, the stock ex aluminum spacers soften the ride a little with almost no loss in capacity, so if it feels a little to stiff, swap them back in.

2005 Excursion EB 6.0L
35" MT ATZ's, Dana 60 frt, 4.30 gears, ARB's, 18" 2004 KR wheels, Dyna-trac ProSteer Ball Joints, 2" PMF spring hangers, V/B-Code springs, PMF Traction Blocks, PowerSlot Cryos, CTPerformance valved Bilsteins-dual frts/single rears, ProComp wFox dual steering stabs, Icon adj track bar, 2008 TT Power Fold/Ext mirrors, 1000 Watts of "stealth" Boston Acoustics power, BA drivers, JL Audio SL13.5 Sub, Rockford 360.2 digital sound processor, SecondSkin Audio DampPro and LuxLinerPro sounddeading, F650 2-hole dash with custom switch panel and integrated CB, Painless Performance 20 circut aux fuse panel and relays, 4x2 rear glass gas struts(they really do help!), Kussman bumper mounted block heater plug, Prodigy P3 brake controller, DC Power XP270 AMP alternator, ISSPro Performax gauges, DieselSite Coolant Filter, blue spring upgrade, 4" Silverline, SCT, ARPs, EGRx, DPC Triple, PowerMax, Optimas, Atomic LED cab lights
Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 AM

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Do the B mod correctly or not at all...
If you don't want to get the 2" lift from the B mod remove the factory block.

B mod:
Take the two shortest leaves from the Excursion spring packs and add them to the B code spring packs between the shortest leaf and the bottom overload leaf or the B or F codes.
Remove the sheet metal spacers of the B codes and replace them with the 1/8" spacers from the Ex springs.
The centering bolt from the B codes, if they came from a set with the top overloadspring pack should be long enough to hold the modified B code spring packs together. If not a set of longer center bolts will be needed.

Use 2 large C clamps to both hold the spring packs together and for reasembly.
Use a long driff pin to aline the springs as you tighten the C clamps before you install the center pin. Do not use the center pin to align or to tighten the springs...use the driff pin and the C clamps!

You then need to install a 30mm SD rear sway bar F81Z-5A772-AA and properly valved Bilsteins.
I highly recommend the use of dual shocks in front for a Excursion.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
mws

I did everything you said, except two minor things

what do you find about how I did the job that will cause problems with my setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post

B mod:
Take the two shortest leaves from the Excursion spring packs and add them to the B code spring packs between the shortest leaf and the bottom overload leaf or the B or F codes.
Remove the sheet metal spacers of the B codes and replace them with the 1/8" spacers from the Ex springs.
The centering bolt from the B codes, if they came from a set with the top overloadspring pack should be long enough to hold the modified B code spring packs together. If not a set of longer center bolts will be needed.

Use 2 large C clamps to both hold the spring packs together and for reasembly.
Use a long driff pin to aline the springs as you tighten the C clamps before you install the center pin. Do not use the center pin to align or to tighten the springs...use the driff pin and the C clamps!

You then need to install a 30mm SD rear sway bar F81Z-5A772-AA and properly valved Bilsteins.
I highly recommend the use of dual shocks in front for a Excursion.

-Ford AIS intake

2003 BMW 760Li (the V12)

Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
mws

So I guess we all did it "wrong"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post

Not sure who Cary was quoting when he said this, but I guess it's "wrong" unless it's done his way, and only his way. No variations. No deletion of slapper leafs, no subtistution of slapper leafs, no substitution of spacer sheets, no use of 1" spacers. Not even sure what about my version he did not like....

But it's totally "not wrong" if you remove the 2" spacer block, which, by the way, has the bump stop arms on it, which is the one thing I would not want to lose.

-Ford AIS intake

2003 BMW 760Li (the V12)

Old 07-01-2012, 10:18 AM

So did the modified springs help out ,I'm still trying to decide if it's worth doing them.

2002 Excursion limited 4x4 v-code springs,Bilstein shocks,Red Head steering box,Sct X-3 with DP-Tunes,Glow shift Gauges, Hellwig rear sway bar,Firestone air bags on the rear,Silverline Stainless 4" exhaust (SOLD)

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Qc 4x4
[email protected] filter,Silverline 4" exhaust,Autometer gauges,Smarty,Raptor 150

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 Firestone airbags ,190 amp alternator ,mbrp 4" exhaust( My old Silverline sounded better) Dp Tuner F5 chip,Glowshift gauges ,Kenwood double din /nav radio,Ford AIS intake
Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 AM

Yes! Yes! And yes! I view this swap as mandatory. Cary's just confident...follow his instructions...add in your own twists for you own preferences. Cary's tried so many combos, hes found the best all around setup.

2005 Excursion EB 6.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in