1996 Fuel Tank OK? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1996 Fuel Tank OK?

I have a 1996 E-SuperDuty bus that I am changing from a 460 gas engine to a Cummins diesel engine. The bus has the large 55 gallon tank. I swapped a diesel tank module without the fuel pump in place of the original tank module. The tank was very clean inside with no flaking or damage to the black colored internal coating but all it has had is gasoline in it to this point. I have read about all of the problems with 1999 and later diesel fuel tanks. Should I be worried about the 1996 tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 04:34 PM

I believe that it will be fine. Anything that can stand up to gas with 10% corn liquor in it is fine for diesel.

2005 E350 Standard Cargo Van, 6.0 PSD, 4.10 L.S., Quigley 4X4 New on 11-18-05
(seems to manufacture oil...)
Warranty Turbo 7-07 22,000 miles, Warranty A/C compressor 10-07 25000 miles

2003 E350 Extended Cargo Van, 7.3 PSD, 3.55, Quigley 4X4 New on 2-1-04

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Transfer Flow 46 Gal*Delaminated*Replaced 8-06 UNDER WARRANTY
BTS Tranny 9-29-07 @55,000 miles, Aluminess Bumpers, Mile Marker 12,000 pound hydraulic winch

2001 F250 1-16-16 eBay purchase 73,646 miles

2000 F250 ...... just cuz people are dumping them for the fuel bill. Got mine on ebay for $8749 with 116K on the clock.
1-1-09 BTS Tranny, 500+ HP at the rear wheel
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:29 AM

Has there been any more reported problems with fuel tanks on Vans?
My 03 still show's no harmful effects or flakes
Anyone have anything too add?

2003, E-350, XLT, Chateau, 7-Pass. Club Wagan, 7.3L PSD, 3:55 LS Rear, SuperChips, Wix Air Filter, Fleetguard LF-9027 Bypass Oil filter, Sirius Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SuperCrewzer, AutoMeter (Pyro. Trans. Boost)Gauges, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, Sonnax valve & Tricululator springs, PML Alum. Tran's Oil Pan, Tru-Cool 4739 Tran's Cooler, ScanGuage Monitor, DAHL 100 Fuel Filter, "FilterMAG. "Last of the 7.3's".
USMC-(Ret).

No You Can't Always Get What You Want, But If You Try Sometimes You Just Might Find. YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:19 AM

My Photos: (7)
Mine is an early 99 & I just ordered a Spectra tank a few minutes ago. I used to have flakes, but took out tank & shook up tank with a bunch of abrasive steel, to strip out coating. But the other day for 2nd time, engine stumbled badly, as if the VC gasket was unplugged, & I had to pull over. Barely kept running, so I shut it off. Rethinking & pondering everything, since it happened about 2 months ago, on vacation. I noticed fuel gauge needle just above E, which should leave me with approx 5-7 gal. So since I carry a gal of fuel, in a jerry jug for mixing cetane boost & outboard oil mix, I decided to add, to see if running out of fuel. Yup, that's what happened. Ran good once air purged out, & slowly went to fill'er up. Apparently the little check valve thingy, must have fallen out of pick-up tube, in tank.(it sits higher up from pick-up strainer foot) So I figured if I must drop tank, to fix, I might as well replace tank. (I also have a small crack in top of tank, that is epoxied over)

1999 E350 7.3psd , XLT , 15 pass/ext , purchased 6/6/05 w/255k on odo, 8/05 added BTM/straight pipe,5/06 BTS,1"shimmed front coil springs,Michelin XPS 235/85 16 R.,FredGroeske2"rear wheel spacers,1-1/2" rear sway bar,AIC,3 A-pillar guages, Tekonsha envoy,coolant filter,4 pos dp-tuner,In-tank mod & harpooned,dahl-100 prepumpfilter,Scan-guage,Bilstein shocks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:29 AM

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anash13 View Post
Has there been any more reported problems with fuel tanks on Vans?
My 03 still show's no harmful effects or flakes
Anyone have anything too add?
I noticed you sig states dahl 100filter. Is it mounted between tank & frame fuel pump? If yes you will have plenty of warning & flakes wont get in pump & engine. But carry a spare filter element with you & be prepared to replace if it starts to occur. Do a quick little squirt from drain every fill up to check for water or flakes & you should be fine. Mine got so bad, the pick-up screen on foot clogged. I have a vacuum gauge in "T" on line between dahl & pump, to monitor any issues starting to occur.
Now I'm trying to figure out how to install a gauge for fuel pressure on engine, for monitoring.

1999 E350 7.3psd , XLT , 15 pass/ext , purchased 6/6/05 w/255k on odo, 8/05 added BTM/straight pipe,5/06 BTS,1"shimmed front coil springs,Michelin XPS 235/85 16 R.,FredGroeske2"rear wheel spacers,1-1/2" rear sway bar,AIC,3 A-pillar guages, Tekonsha envoy,coolant filter,4 pos dp-tuner,In-tank mod & harpooned,dahl-100 prepumpfilter,Scan-guage,Bilstein shocks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 07:24 AM

bork:
Your correct, I do have the DAHL filter mounted between the tank and fuel pump on the frame.
I check and drain the DAHL at every oil change, I have yet too see any flaking.
I have a feeling the issue most people are having with tank lining coming unglued is due to "Home Brewed Bio'Diesel", or some other fuel additive products.
I have been fortunate enough to have had access to "Brand Name" fuel, only additive I used was/is the anti-Gel product in the White Jug if and when I visit colder climates...Which is RARE!

2003, E-350, XLT, Chateau, 7-Pass. Club Wagan, 7.3L PSD, 3:55 LS Rear, SuperChips, Wix Air Filter, Fleetguard LF-9027 Bypass Oil filter, Sirius Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SuperCrewzer, AutoMeter (Pyro. Trans. Boost)Gauges, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, Sonnax valve & Tricululator springs, PML Alum. Tran's Oil Pan, Tru-Cool 4739 Tran's Cooler, ScanGuage Monitor, DAHL 100 Fuel Filter, "FilterMAG. "Last of the 7.3's".
USMC-(Ret).

No You Can't Always Get What You Want, But If You Try Sometimes You Just Might Find. YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 03:51 PM

Anyone with a e350 van with fuel tank issues here?
I need someones who has actually drained their tank in place to tell me how to do it. My 1994 E350 7.3 IDI has been sitting a long time (3+years) and I am trying to start it for the 1st time in a long time. I have a new fuel filter in place. The tank is full (35 gallons). I have a see thru food grade 55 gallon drum with top bung screw fill caps. I have a double diaphrgm air pump and compressor, and 3/8" hose. I tried to siphon out tank by going down fuel neck but, on midship tanks like mine, the fuel pump is inline withfiller neck and it is stopping my ability to put a hose into the tank to drain it. I thought, next, to remove the inlet or siphon line at the mechanical fuel pump and attach the diaphragm pump at this area and see if I have any accumulated condensation in the tank. That is is the main reason, I want to drain out old fuel. I want to see if, once fuel is out and into clear drum, it separates into water at the bottom, and fuel at the top, at which point I can skim off the diesel without water and reuse it, if there is any. I'm not convinced that their IS water but don't want to take a chance even though this is becoming a PITA. Any ideas or suggestions from you van owners with mid tank diesel vans that have actually drained your tank, IN PLACE? I am all ears? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in