'97 E350 with 7.3L. What kinda MPGs can I expect? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'97 E350 with 7.3L. What kinda MPGs can I expect?

I'm looking at a '97 e350 with diesel and automatic. I have a '93 f250 with 7.3 idi and I get consistent 18 mpg for the ten years I've owned it, so that's why I was excited to see this van for sale. But when I did some research, Google and another forum, I'm hearing some people getting 8mpg, some getting (few) 15mpg. What could I expect in real world? Most of my driving is 55 and 65 mph highway as I commute 35 miles each way to work. I always thought these things got 18 to 21 mpg. Can I just turn down the pump to get better mileage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:28 PM

My Photos: (8)
You will see lots of venders with stuff to improve MPG (programing, intake, exhaust) but I have not see it play out in real life. A Big square box is one of the best air brakes you could ever have, so if you want mpg I would look for one with the highest rear axle gearing you can find and drive slow. My 99 F350 CC lost 1 MPG for every 5 MPH over 60 PMH.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is no pump to turn down.

Like Denny said higher gears will get better mileage. It will also depend on how much weight you have in it driving back and forth. I am not sure what the vans came with as far as gearing. The trucks had 3:55 and 4:10's with the 3:55 getting the better mileage.

8 mpg sounds low but I would say around 15 would be close to right during the winter if the area you live in has winterized fuel. But I wouldn't expect much more than 18-20 at best.

Also like Denney said don't believe the mileage claims that all the aftermarket folks claim. If they worked like they said you could get 30mpg by just adding a magnet.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I never heard of a diesel getting such bad mileage. I always hear guys bragging about getting 20~mpg in a pickup and barely a little less pulling a huge trailer.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:48 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is just what they are doing.................bragging.

When it comes down to it the diesels get better mileage than a gas vehicle but not that much more. The place where a diesel shines is in the towing department but even then don't expect much more than 15mpg if towing.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:03 AM

I have a '97 PSD Van since new. It has 187k miles, 3:55 Rear and standard tires. I had a 4' x 8" x 3/16ths steel plate installed with six D-rings to tie down stuff right after I got it (makes a huge difference in how it rides and much quieter). On the highway I get about 17 - 18 mpg @ 70 - 80 mph and @ 60 - 65 I get around 22-23 mph. It is flatlander mileage here east of the Appalachians and the vast majority of my miles are Northern Carroll County to St. Mary's County or Ocean City MD. The higher you get it off the ground, the lower the mileage, just ask the guys with jacked-up F-series and oversized tires. If you were to 'Slam It' I'll bet you could pick up an additional 1 - 3 mpgs.

1997 Cargo Van. 7.3 PSD - 185k miles. Stancor GPR, IH Waterpump w/ Filter.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 07:59 PM

My Photos: (7)
I thought I left a reply but maybe it was removed, OR I'm getting senile. I think a chip helps the vans a bit because we are de-tuned from factory with less output, IIRC someone said approx 100 hp less than the trucks. The hard part is to baby it when it's so darn fun to stand on the pedal, chipped.
When I pull a box trailer like the one below, whether empty or full it kills my mileage. I might get 12mpg if I'm lucky. It must be the air dumping in from back of van & catching trailer. The trailer is slightly higher than van & has the flat front, & I can see the front skin on it buffering, when going down highway. I wish it had the "V" front, & wonder if they make a difference.
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...SVENT4.jpg&f=1

1999 E350 7.3psd , XLT , 15 pass/ext , purchased 6/6/05 w/255k on odo, 8/05 added BTM/straight pipe,5/06 BTS,1"shimmed front coil springs,Michelin XPS 235/85 16 R.,FredGroeske2"rear wheel spacers,1-1/2" rear sway bar,AIC,3 A-pillar guages, Tekonsha envoy,coolant filter,4 pos dp-tuner,In-tank mod & harpooned,dahl-100 prepumpfilter,Scan-guage,Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in