The Diesel Stop banner

‘97 Extended cab e350 with a 5th wheel

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  mdshaw 
#1 ·
We found this in California & the vin sticker says Unfinished vehicle. Started as an ambulance chassis I think but it got an extended cab, aluminum bed & service boxes.
I just added a 5th wheel hitch to it. Was surprised to see the frame rails drilled for the hitch. Must share the rails with the f350.
Runs great but needs a power increase so... moved the batteries to the box, installed a diy 6637 air intake, Mark F. efuel system, 4” diamond eye exhaust, 2 stage 8 gallon water/methanol injection. Currently waiting on 180/80 injectors from Rosewood & upgraded CNC fabrication hpop. Also installing a Melling lpop & new water pump & gp’s.
Brian Jelich (JeliBuilt Performance) will be doing the tunes on the Hydra tuner.
Also converting the ebpv to an exhaust brake, air bags & a diy Viair w/small tank compressor.
The extended cab area was just an empty fiberglass box so added carpet & a Suburban seat back there.
Looking forward to some long distance towing.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a 1994 E350-Cargo Van. 7.3 IDI - N/A. I like the mod of putting the batteries into the bed (storage boxes) and air filter reroute mod.

Id like to learn more about your other mods and what your future plans will be with this unique vehicle.

Lets keep in touch.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
97 Extended cab e350 with a 5th wheel

I just got the PHP tuner with tunes from JelliBuilt. Will be putting it in this weekend. Removed the 3 gauge pod & installed a 4 gauge pod to house the tuner controller instead of the little controller. Since I had the radiator out to do the water pump, lpop & CNC hpop, I went ahead & got an aluminum radiator & a Fluid damper, new coolant hoses & serpentine belt. The hoses had Ford p/n’s & 97 date codes. I was surprised they were original. A friend that’s into building airbag systems gave me a new Viair 480c so I installed it along with a little tank for an onboard 150psi compressor/tank system for tires & the rear helper bags.
The Rosewood 180/80’s are on the way back so might be running next Monday.
Then taking the transmission to a shop in Eugene Oregon to a couple of guys that are the west coast experts on E4OD’s. Together they have rebuilt over 1500 of them. Also a Rev Max TC is on the way.
Also installed a True Cool 4590 transmission cooler.

Attachments

#7 ·
I took the transmission over to Geezer Garage in Eugene. It’s much stronger than new now. Also added a RevMax torque converter.
With the new PHP tuner, Brian Jelich tunes, the 180/80 injectors, hpop, lpop & water/methanol injection it’s hard to believe it’s the same van. It is very fast.
Looks better now too with the new wheels.
Also added some 7.3 emblems.

Attachments

#9 ·
Looks nice! Any pictures of the interior?

#10 · (Edited)
I am enjoying your posts, MDShaw, and the pics too.

Your van is really unique, and I bet, now that all the major mods are in the rearview, its probably really a fast and fun ride.

The PSD emblems you choose, are really a nice touch. And, all the powertrain mods are my brand of crazy goodness. I really find its originality refreshing.

It must be nice to be able to have a short van front end for seeing easily over the hood along with the versatility of a pickup bed, on top of the aluminum service body storage bed with all the exterior access doors, and a 5th wheel hitch, making your rig, very versatile. Visually, it all comes together well, and yet, sets it apart.

I'll admit it. I have certifiable "Van Lust".

Now call me diesel crazed but, I am imagining a single or dual chrome exhaust stacks, in the bed, sticking up, slash cut, just above the cab extension.

Your van looks pretty bad azz right now, but that would make your Vantruck, a traffic stopper.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

#11 ·
The wheels are Alcoa copies, got them on eBay.
I’ve been playing around with Torque Pro on a Fire 8 tablet. It’s really cool that you can display anything going on in the PCM & make custom pid’s - like to display on a gauge Boost pressure - Exhaust back pressure. I haven’t got that one working yet though.
Here are interior pics. The Suburban seat in the back with side tables I made.
Still need to fix the headliner.
The oil dipstick had a slight drip so I attempted to fix it with the Riffraff kit. Now it has a big leak. Will take it apart, clean it up
& use Right Stuff.
Used the Hot Street tune by JeliTuned & wow ? hard to believe it’s the same van.

Attachments

#12 ·
97 Extended cab e350 with a 5th wheel

Found something else to make the van better on the freeway. Installing a DNe2 overdrive. This will give it a .568 final drive & really help with the freeway noise by getting the rpms down to @2000 at 75mph.
Not expecting much improvement in mpg from what I’ve read about them. Got this one from a company that rebuilt it as far as the seals & bearings. When I bench tested it the motor would hardly shift it & the started smoking. Found a new motor for it a Four Seasons 35521. Shifts great now. The new driveshaft should be done Monday. Also will use a Dakota Digital 8k ppm to Chevy speedo adapter to get a good vss signal & using a momentary marine trim switch & 2 relays to switch from direct to overdrive.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.