Fuel Pressure gauge install - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pressure gauge install

Hello,

Has anyone installed a fuel pressure gauge post filter on the fuel bowl? I have a 98 E350 7.3 with frame mounted fuel pump (early 99' engine) and I'm about to install an isspro FPG and ordered a 90degree adapter (for the sending unit) so I can try to clear the glow plug relay but it appears the 90 degree adapter pointing upright will get in the way of the fuel drain lever. Should I try to use a straight adapter instead, any thoughts or solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:55 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have the straight adapter. No clearance issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response RT! Yeah it looks like the straight adapter is the easiest option and incase removal is ever necessary it appears I won't have to remove the fuel bowl. Only issue is it puts the connector real close to the air intake y pipe but it should work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

I think I have located where the dimmer wire for the fuel pressure gauge should go, the light blue and red wire from the instrument panel dimmer switch but I am wondering what would be a good location for the hot wire to go, any suggestions? Does it matter what amperage rating the circuit I tap into needs to be? The ISSPRO gauge comes with a 1 amp inline fuse and they recommend not going any higher or damage could occur to the gauge.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 08:57 AM

My Photos: (7)
Luce73, ever get it finished? I thinking of doing the same. You work thru doghouse or from front?

1999 E350 7.3psd , XLT , 15 pass/ext , purchased 6/6/05 w/255k on odo, 8/05 added BTM/straight pipe,5/06 BTS,1"shimmed front coil springs,Michelin XPS 235/85 16 R.,FredGroeske2"rear wheel spacers,1-1/2" rear sway bar,AIC,3 A-pillar guages, Tekonsha envoy,coolant filter,4 pos dp-tuner,In-tank mod & harpooned,dahl-100 prepumpfilter,Scan-guage,Bilstein shocks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Hey Bork, Yeah it turned out great! I had much of the peripheral engine components off cause I was doing other things as well. I believe the alternator, stand and belt was removed and of course the air filter housing. I also did a fuel bowl rebuild so it looks like I installed the straight adapter and sending unit post filter while the bowl was off from the front then routed the wires via a plastic corrugated protector from NAPA along the wiring harness below the wipers then fed it through an existing hole near the steering shaft which came out near the gas pedal, then sent the gauge wires up the steering column to were I mounted the gauge. for the hot wire I got a fuse piggyback adapter from the parts store.

Only question I had afterwards was that my pressure post filter is steady at around 55psi and when I was testing pressure with a fuel pressure gauge I rented from the parts store pre filter it read 60-65psi which is what I thought was normal. Does anyone know what it should be post filter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190302_1708546.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	128060  

Name:	IMG_20190302_1709252.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	128062  

Name:	IMG_20190218_1906414.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	128064  

Name:	IMG_20190302_1710043.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	128066  

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 03:21 PM
RT

It should be 60 psi with the factory spring. As your filter starts to get dirty, you'll see a greater drop with heavy acceleration, but with a clean filter mine only drops a few psi with the pedal on the floor.

I missed a question earlier about where to get voltage under the dash. DieselManor has some great write-ups for all these gauge installations.

DieselManor - Installation Sheets

Specifically - 3-Gauge Install Pictures for the power wire.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:27 PM

My Photos: (7)
Luce73 thanks, very helpful. I cringe the thought of removing that bowl. IIRC I removed the alt also when I had to change out drain valve, which I did from front. Hope I can do it the same way for sender. 55 is close to normal , but how much drop when you stand on pedal, under load?

1999 E350 7.3psd , XLT , 15 pass/ext , purchased 6/6/05 w/255k on odo, 8/05 added BTM/straight pipe,5/06 BTS,1"shimmed front coil springs,Michelin XPS 235/85 16 R.,FredGroeske2"rear wheel spacers,1-1/2" rear sway bar,AIC,3 A-pillar guages, Tekonsha envoy,coolant filter,4 pos dp-tuner,In-tank mod & harpooned,dahl-100 prepumpfilter,Scan-guage,Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in