The Diesel Stop banner

Spectra tank users

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  van_350sd 
#1 ·
I was curious, how the metal holds up in the North? (salted roads) I see the seam, where the two halves are welded together, is bent upward a tad, and could possibly hold water.

#3 ·
Toooo late already in. Good to seeya back. My pickup foot was entirely busted off & just my SS tube was sucking up what ever. Glad I had a pre-pump filter. Also wasn't sure if harpoon was necessary on these tanks. I shortened vent tube anyhow.

#4 ·
Update: my Dahl100 prepump filter is showing restriction on my vacuum gauge. changed the dahl filter & was loaded with the silver crud! RRRRrrrrrrrrr! After new filter in, retested & vacuum gauge still high, so my tank pickup must be loaded up. I contacted Spectra & they stated they have no coatings and I must have gotten crud from an outside source. I'll let you all know when I drop tank. stay tuned.

#5 ·
Just removed as much fuel as possible, & was prepping to drop tank & remembered to double check my vacuum gauge before I do anything & sure enough the needle stayed up at approx 10lbs., even after opening suction line to see if gauge drops.(still stuck) I tapped a little on gauge but no difference. I then popped open rubber seal on top of oil filled gauge and needle dropped. poured fuel back in tank & started engine, & showed approx 2# of vacuum. Shut off engine & needle returned to peg/pin at 0. I'm happy not to drop tank!

#7 ·
Great idea to look for the low-hanging fruit before climbing high up into that Tree of Repairs!

So, do you think the needle was stuck because it was jammed with the same silver stuff as you found in the filter? Or perhaps the needle was stuck because it got jammed up due to the high 10-inches-of-vacuum reading?

I've read somewhere that on some 7.3s, a fuel light in the dash comes on when suction reaches 7 inches of vacuum. Did yours come on?

#6 ·
Hey Van Brothers,

I'm still alive and my van is still like brand new. Best engine ever. I bought a new Spectra fuel tank for 113.00 on Amazon one day I noticed the low price and jumped. I bought it because of the low price and knew one day I may need it. I also have the 27 gallon Transferflow tank that fits between the rear end and the spare tire with the Trax II Electronic system. It pumps the fuel from the Aux tank to the 35 gal main tank by the built-in computer. So I have a 65 gallon system topped off. Transferflow stopped making these 27 gal tanks in Dec 2001, so I got very lucky finding one. If you have an extended van they will still make one for you if you ask. I will get you the Instruction sheet # 367 from transferflow 8 page pdf instructions and UL it to a server for pdf and give you the link. Transferflow can look up the system by giving them the #367 install sheet number. ( November 28, 2001 is the date on the pdf. ) I love the tank because they made a notch in the top corner where the exhaust pipe goes. The 4" Magnaflow exhaust pipe fits in the spot where the tank is notched with great clearance. I wrapped my entire exhaust with the 2" Thermo-Tec heat tape and it removed all of the DRONE sound and makes the interior of the van more quiet. I still get the sound out the end of the pipe. The heat tape also protects the heat from the tail pipe so close to the Aux fuel tank. If you have a drone sound that gives you a headache, wrap your entire exhaust from the turbo to the tip including the round Magnaflow muffler. When you get the Transferflow 27 Gal. Aft Axle Aux fuel tank system, it comes with a dual fuel cap fill (side by side) fill necks in the same location as the stock fill up door spot. So picture a 55 gallon drum and two 5 gallon containers of fuel, Diesel is 7.1 lbs. per gallon times 65 gallons is 461.5 lbs., almost 1/4 ton just for the fuel.

So glad you got your new fuel tank straightened out. I'm sure my stock 35 gal tank will be needing to be replaced soon. The transferflow tank will last forever.

My next big job is replacing the wiring harness for the battery system, and a isolator for 3 battery system. did anyone install a battery isolator in the van?

Our vans are almost 20 years old now. I love the 7.3L.

Ah, I also have some old school CPS units if you need the best one ever made. I get 18 MPG and 20 w/light foot.

B est,

#8 ·
Van 350 SD glad to see your still doing well!
MichaelP I did have CES light tickling on when hard accelerating or hill climbing, but would go off about 15 seconds later. I dont know how to tell if it was oil , boost or fuel. So I thought I'd check fuel filter & gauge 1st, since the easiest. The gauge was stuck because there was pressure or vacuum in the oil filled housing. It comes with a little rubber plug on top that you are supposed to cut off tiny nipple. I did not want to vent since gauge is almost horizontal & would leak & figured when it gets wet/splashed it might suck in moisture, when cooling down. Tee is installed before pump with a barbed brass tee. IIRC the factory lines were abandoned & I used some HD fuel line with hose clamps. The buzz way back when was, that it was believed that the OE line connectors were good for pressure, but would cause air to enter into system under vacuum. If you search you'll probably find a ton of reading. Here is one I found quickly https://www.thedieselstop.com/archives/ubbthreads/73EandD/forums.thedieselstop.com/archives/showflat.php-Cat=&Number=595977&page=103&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=10&vc=1.htm

Reactions: MichaelPatrick
#9 ·
Thanks for the insight of how your gauge works, Bork. I've also installed a suction gauge on my system, but it's a Stewart Warner model that is not oil filled. So, I don't have the potential for residual suction in the gauge keeping the needle up.

The flickering dashboard light you experienced sure sounds like the OEM vacuum switch I've got on my '96. It's there to warn of dangerously high vacuum on the suction side caused by something restricting the fuel supply from the tank. But I'm not sure you have that vacuum sensing device on your van.

And what's up with the silver crud in the Spectra tank? The description sure sounds like the OEM tanks' lining coming apart, but I believe Spectra when they claim they have no such lining to come apart. So, either it's something else from the tank (which nobody else has reported?) or you just happened to get some fuel contaminated with silver stuff from the fueling station.

Let us know if you continue to have this problem. It's a mystery.

#10 ·
When I go to install my new Spectra tank I will use 3M undercoat on the outside and rinse out the inside with some type of cleaner, I will call Spectra first.

The other nice thing is I called Mag Hytec and they shipped me new O-rings for my Trans and rear end covers. I told them I'm doing a filter change in the trans and it would be nice to use new O-Rings. Great customer Service. They have never leaked. The rear end cover allows you to drain the rear end with the plug and fill it up through the top without removing the cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.