Turbo Swap - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (16)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Swap

I replaced the turbo on my 2012 6.7 with a 2017 turbo and now I have the 2012 laying in my garage with only ~56k miles; still new by most accounts. My 99 E-350, 7.3 has 150k miles on it. Is there any way to adapt the 2012 turbo to fit a 7.3? If you're going to post 'no', please give a reason. Also, besides here, where is a good place to advertise parts like this turbo for sale?

2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins and Bilstein Steering Stableizer, AirLift Air Bags with onboard compressor, BedLocker electric bed cover, Hellwig 1 1/4 inch rear anti-sway bar, 2017 G37 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission kit, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front 2 inch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, dash mount AutoMeter C2 fuel pressure gauge, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, Air Dog fuel filtration system, Hutch mod, header wrapped and high temperature painted Bellowed Up-Pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 PM

My Photos: (0)
Anything is possible, but it is probably not worth it.

- You will have no way to control the "veins" in the variable geometry turbo
-There is no kit for what you want to do, so everything will need to be fabricated from scratch, including a new doghouse.
-You will need a full dyno session as the turbo is obviously very different in every way from the GTP38

Honestly, if you want better performance, it would be must cheaper and easier to add a billet compressor wheel and call it a day.

BTW, The BD-billet wheel with the full 8 extended blades performs much better than the 4x4 blade type wheels you see in the wicked wheel and riffraff for the Van turbos because of the 1.15 exhaust housing. I had purchase both, and noticed the wicked wheel performed a bit worse than the stock wheel, but the BD wheel increased my boost about 20% overall.

2001 Ford E350 7.3 Extended Cargo Van

BTS Transmission, PHP Minotaur package, 4" exhaust/downpipe, FRX, AIH delete, Fuel bowl mod, Hypermax Boost/Pyro gauge, sloted Frozen Rotors, 4.10 rear w. LS, 350-1200SD front coil springs, Stiff Bilsteins shocks.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (16)
Thank you, Xphobe, but I’m not concerned about more power. If I max my boost now, the CIL comes on and egt’s exceed 1200 real quick, and I have to wait for everything to cool down. I’m looking at the swap as strictly upgrade maintenance. At 150k, the van will be needing a new turbo before long.

2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins and Bilstein Steering Stableizer, AirLift Air Bags with onboard compressor, BedLocker electric bed cover, Hellwig 1 1/4 inch rear anti-sway bar, 2017 G37 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission kit, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front 2 inch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, dash mount AutoMeter C2 fuel pressure gauge, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, Air Dog fuel filtration system, Hutch mod, header wrapped and high temperature painted Bellowed Up-Pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM

My Photos: (0)
I have already rebuilt my turbo for $150 (kit) at about 130k miles, not including the cost of the billet wheel. It wasn't worn out by any means, but one day the turbo sounded a little different and I was worried. It turned out one small section of the thrust bearing was scored, like something solid went threw it. I did use the OEM rebuild kit, not the aftermarket brass 360* thrust bearing kit, so I cannot give any feed back on that. My EGTs did drop a little over 100* due to the billet wheel and I am personally satisfied with just that.

I honestly think you will have a very hard time trying to figure out how you are going to get your Variable-geometry turbo to work. You will need some type of stand-alone electronic control for it, not to mention all the fabrication to physically fit a standard rotation turbo into a system designed for a reverse-rotation turbo.

2001 Ford E350 7.3 Extended Cargo Van

BTS Transmission, PHP Minotaur package, 4" exhaust/downpipe, FRX, AIH delete, Fuel bowl mod, Hypermax Boost/Pyro gauge, sloted Frozen Rotors, 4.10 rear w. LS, 350-1200SD front coil springs, Stiff Bilsteins shocks.

Last edited by Xphobe; 05-23-2019 at 09:22 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:52 AM

My Photos: (7)
Cleve, my van has approx 450k on odo now, and I bought it with 250k on it. I dont even worry about it at all. I do however let it cool down before shutting off engine for a few minutes, watching EGTs. A good friend of mine specializes in turbo rebuilds of all kinds & told me that cooling it down is a good preventative . His dad is a turbo engineer. His name is Charlie, https://www.evergreenturbo.com/
You if you want, mention "Hammer" told you.

1999 E350 7.3psd , XLT , 15 pass/ext , purchased 6/6/05 w/255k on odo, 8/05 added BTM/straight pipe,5/06 BTS,1"shimmed front coil springs,Michelin XPS 235/85 16 R.,FredGroeske2"rear wheel spacers,1-1/2" rear sway bar,AIC,3 A-pillar guages, Tekonsha envoy,coolant filter,4 pos dp-tuner,In-tank mod & harpooned,dahl-100 prepumpfilter,Scan-guage,Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in