Unplugged ICP....no start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jleedog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unplugged ICP....no start

If your van doesn't start with the ICP unplugged -- is that a sign of a good ICP?

I just replaced the ICP (OEM) in my 1996 e350. The old ICP started up great while it was unplugged. The new ICP won't start up at all unplugged. Is that a sign of a good ICP or is there something wrong with the new part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:44 PM

Un plugged ICP would not be the reason for a no start. You may have introduced some air in the rail when you changed it out, which may account for the no start problem. Others that are smarter than me will chime in soon with more help.
Texkenusmc likes this.

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:46 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
How is the pigtail that plugs into the ICP sensor? You may have shorted it out or otherwise damaged it when you changed the sensor. A partial short (high resistance) may be sending a false signal to the PCM, causing it to tell the IPR to dump pressure.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

The pigtail is in good shape, I've been careful not to damage it. Could the issue be the IPR?

Last edited by van.diesel; 08-08-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Was (is) there oil in the connector. That could affect the signal as well. Try shooting some contact cleaner in there if there's oil. But with the ICP disconnected, it CAN'T be the ICP at fault. jleedog's comment about air in the system is valid. But even with air, it should eventually start with enough cranking.
It's possible the IPR is the issue. Is the tin nut holding the coil on tight?

Does it start and run good with everything plugged in? If so, I wouldn't mess with it.

Other than a no-start with ICP unplugged, what issue are you having?

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

The connector is clean, no trace of oil. The tin nut is solid on there. It runs great when the ICP is plugged in. The biggest issue I've been having is the van sputters without going into idle -- only on hot starts. I have to rev the engine 3 times to 3500 rpms to get it going. After that, it idles pretty consistently.

On cold starts the van starts right up. Every now and again I'll lose compression on the road. That lasts a few minutes before returning back to normal. I replaced the CPS and ICP, both OEM. Oddly, the van started up with very little sputtering with the original ICP after I greased the connector with dielectric grease.

I had someone tell me it could be the crankshaft sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in