Where to buy rear AC blend door? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to buy rear AC blend door?

All right you google geniuses, where do I get a rear AC blend door? Or does anybody have a P/N or what Ford calls it?

2003 E350 EXT 7.3L PSD, Bought September 2008 @76,000mi.
DP Tuner F5
Bilstein HD Shocks
Centramatic Wheel Balancers
Autometer Phantom Boost, Transmission Temp, and EGT gauges
Powertrax autolocking rear diff.
Scangauge II xgauge
Dahl 75 Pre-pump fuel filter/water separator
Modified Sinister Diesel fuel bowl delete and regulated return + post pump filtration.
Tow Mirrors
Spahl power remote door locks
Dieselsite Max AC Assist
Added cruise control
Sealed Beam to HID Headlight Conversion

Personal blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:58 PM

Installation of a new blend door (go search the archives) requires removing the rear unit and all of the problems that go with the procedure.

As you have discovered by now, the default is "heat". My solution was to drill a small hole in the case and prop the door open during the summer using a wooden dowel.

Yardbrew

America....love it or leave it

02 E350 PSD Cargo with windows/power/CC/3.55 LS/Prodigy/Reese WD & Dual Cam/....from Cochise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Van Color:Gray--Bumper Color:Gray--Wheel Color:Gray--Hubcaps:metallic--Tire Color:black--Grill Color:gray plastic
I pull a 1987 Wells Cargo Express Wagon (20 ft)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've currently got a self tapping screw holding the door to "cool". Not ideal but I guess it will do. Here in Albuquerque we get enough of all four seasons that it would be nice to have it work right, but not worth major surgery and $$ though.

DP Tuner F5
Bilstein HD Shocks
Scangauge II xgauge
Modified Sinister Diesel fuel bowl delete and regulated return + post pump filtration.
Tow Mirrors
Dieselsite Max AC Assist
Added cruise control

Personal blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 05:22 AM

I called F**d when mine failed and they looked it up...........I'm thinking it was over a hundred bucks for that little piece of plastic. When I got up off the floor, I asked the counter jockey to recheck and he affirmed the price. At that point, I decided to go look in a junkyard.

Yardbrew

America....love it or leave it

02 E350 PSD Cargo with windows/power/CC/3.55 LS/Prodigy/Reese WD & Dual Cam/....from Cochise

Van Color:Gray--Bumper Color:Gray--Wheel Color:Gray--Hubcaps:metallic--Tire Color:black--Grill Color:gray plastic
I pull a 1987 Wells Cargo Express Wagon (20 ft)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Found this this write up on the job. Sounds like with the right combination of words it can be done w/o disconnecting the unit. Probably just pull the door out and repair it. Can't be that difficult to repair the door. Maybe make a template of it and get rich selling sheet metal reproductions on the interwebs.

DP Tuner F5
Bilstein HD Shocks
Scangauge II xgauge
Tow Mirrors
Dieselsite Max AC Assist
Added cruise control

Personal blog
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 06:20 PM

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardbrew View Post
My solution was to drill a small hole in the case and prop the door open during the summer using a wooden dowel.

Yardbrew
Any chance you can provide a photo and dimensions of where you drilled this hole?

Regards,

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 92,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:52 PM

My Photos: (8)

Name: Rob.
Current:
2001 E350 EB HT PSD w/ a bunch of stuff.
Had three other E350s...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 10:54 AM

My Photos: (1)
I safety-wired the door position to "permanent AC", also disconnected & plugged the hot water lines going to the rear unit.
We get about 2 days of cold weather every year, and anyone sitting that far back can wear a jacket in the van those two days!

2000 E350, I ordered it from the factory, new. Dual A/C, XLT Super Duty trim, 3.55 limited slip, trailer tow class IV package, dual alternators,
speed control/tilt wheel, HD4R100 installed @203k miles, B&M cast pan,
Dahl 100 fuel filter, deleted stock fuel bowl drain valve (leaker),
replaced turbo pedestal w/ non-EBPV, deleted AIH. Bilstein shocks. Jensen VX7021 Navigation receiver, Garmin 65W dash cam
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 12:11 PM

After you get the old one out, it would probably take a few minutes with some tin snips, a drill, & a pop riveter to build a durable door out of some scrap Aluminum. Do you have an old license plate lying around?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 AM

My Photos: (80)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnofh1 View Post
I safety-wired the door position to "permanent AC", also disconnected & plugged the hot water lines going to the rear unit.
We get about 2 days of cold weather every year, and anyone sitting that far back can wear a jacket in the van those two days!

What did you do to the Heater Lines? Did you remove the heater Core in the rear and plug the two Hoses that go to the heater core?

I also don't need heat in the rear, I need A/C year round.

2000 E350-Super Duty Ext. Mobile LivingRoom-7.3LPSD
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 08:01 PM

My Photos: (7)
My rear heater lines, under body, started to leak, so I unclipped lines , & ran a "U" joint to bypass the rear lines. I took off dog house & the quick disconnects are right there. But before messing with them, get new "O"rings and the little white plastic inserts. Mine broke, they get brittle. Advance auto parts has the entire quick disconnect, so I bought two & swapped out the guts. The U piece I had to fabricate out of copper plumbing parts. If you don't care for the quick disconnects, you cold just cut the hoses, & put a barbed coupling in the two & clamp. I pinched off the hoses, and lost very little coolant, while doing job.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bork View Post
My rear heater lines, under body, started to leak, so I unclipped lines , & ran a "U" joint to bypass the rear lines. I took off dog house & the quick disconnects are right there. But before messing with them, get new "O"rings and the little white plastic inserts. Mine broke, they get brittle. Advance auto parts has the entire quick disconnect, so I bought two & swapped out the guts. The U piece I had to fabricate out of copper plumbing parts. If you don't care for the quick disconnects, you cold just cut the hoses, & put a barbed coupling in the two & clamp. I pinched off the hoses, and lost very little coolant, while doing job.
hey man,

How about using the heater core Hot water shut off valve
like this just on the send to the rear core line?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 09:24 AM

That would work if you wanted to stop flow. But for a leak, I would need one of those valves on both sides of lines to prevent back flow. Also I'm not sure if stopping flow would change anything in engine flow/cooling, causing dead ends or dead spots. It would be nice to hear from a Ford engineer on this question, because in summer I choke off my front heater core, approx. 70-90% with a manual valve.

1999 E350 7.3psd , XLT , 15 pass/ext , purchased 6/6/05 w/255k on odo, 8/05 added BTM/straight pipe,5/06 BTS,1"shimmed front coil springs,Michelin XPS 235/85 16 R.,FredGroeske2"rear wheel spacers,1-1/2" rear sway bar,AIC,3 A-pillar guages, Tekonsha envoy,coolant filter,4 pos dp-tuner,In-tank mod & harpooned,dahl-100 prepumpfilter,Scan-guage,Bilstein shocks.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 09:33 AM

Do you have a photo of your U-Turn connection?

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 PM

I cant believe I forgot to take any pics. I just got a used smart phone & frequently forget! RRRRrrrrr, if I take dog house off again, I'll try to remember.
Here is a bypass u bend on ebay , mine is similar but with copper plumbing fittings soldered up &. I had to make thin little rings to solder on approx. 7/8" from end, for the plastic quick connects to lock on to.
"U" Bend Shaped Aluminum Pipe Fitting 5 8 for Heater Core Bypass w Hose Clamps | eBayand here is what the quick disconnect looks like,& what advance auto sells. There are two o-rings inside with a plastic separator ring in between O-rings & a plastic guide ring just inside white clip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-bend-shape...lWNDHv&vxp=mtr

1999 E350 7.3psd , XLT , 15 pass/ext , purchased 6/6/05 w/255k on odo, 8/05 added BTM/straight pipe,5/06 BTS,1"shimmed front coil springs,Michelin XPS 235/85 16 R.,FredGroeske2"rear wheel spacers,1-1/2" rear sway bar,AIC,3 A-pillar guages, Tekonsha envoy,coolant filter,4 pos dp-tuner,In-tank mod & harpooned,dahl-100 prepumpfilter,Scan-guage,Bilstein shocks.

Last edited by bork; 02-06-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in