'14 F450 6.7 new to me truck, first oil change & No Start condition - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By wpetko
  • 1 Post By larrgh
  • 1 Post By larrgh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'14 F450 6.7 new to me truck, first oil change & No Start condition

Last week I took my 2014 F-450 6.7 Crew cab Stake bed truck into a local Ford dealer for an oil change. This truck has 80k miles on it currently, and I bought it with 78k miles on it. So far it has been good with no issues. I have a couple questions with the oil change.

The dealer invoice shows they filled it with Motorcraft 10W30 oil. The driver info center said on the dash it was time for an oil change. The oil looked very black on the dipstick. Prior to having this oil change done, I called around to a few shops and some said only use synthetic oil, while others said semi-synthetic or dino oil is acceptable.

Is this Motorcraft 10W30 synthetic or dino oil?

Is this the correct oil for the 6.7?

When I got the truck home from the dealer, I pulled the dipstick again to make sure the oil was filled to the correct level, which it was. What had me raise an eyebrow was how black the "new" oil already was. Is it normal for new oil to turn black pretty much instantly? The drive home was 5-7 miles and it was a hot day, if that matters.

On to the No Start condition, which happened the very next day after I had the truck at the dealer for the oil change. Out of the blue, it had never done this previously in the 3 months I've owned it, the truck would not start. I had a "Starting System Fault" message on the dash, driver info center display. I see in searching the web that this is not an uncommon thing. After about an hour, the problem went away and has not returned, but it had me bugged out that one of us is going to be stranded with a no start at some random place. This No Start happened at my office, so I was able to contend with it. After the No Start cleared on it's own, I had a CEL on the dash. I plugged in and found 3 codes:

U0140 Lost communication with BCM
P1635 Mfg control aux inputs/outputs

P2610 Ecm/pcm internal engine timer off

These all seem to point to loss of communtion with the Body Control Module.

Is there any surefire fix to avoid this in the future?

Is there any coincidence with this happening and the oil change being completed the day prior?

Thank you in advance for all advice. Sorry this post went long, just trying to condense my posting here to 1 thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:13 AM

My Photos: (17)
Wow! ‘Sorry about your problems. I can’t help you with your no start problem. There are some very knowledgeable folks here that I’m sure will be glad to help. I CAN tell you that black engine oil, even new oil, is fairly common in Diesel engines. A big part of that is the detergents that keep impurities suspended in the oil instead of allowing the gunk to build up on the engine’s internals. If you are still concerned about the black oil you can send a sample to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. That should put your engine oil fears to rest.
Good luck with your starting problem. Please let us know how this works out for you.
mattt likes this.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. I've had a few other Ford diesels, 6.0's, in the past and I hadn't seen them 'black' the oil this quickly which is why I asked. I did previously notice that the 6.0 would 'black' the oil within 100-200 miles, but not within 5-10 miles. Thank you for the info confirming this is normal. I was seriously starting to wonder if the dealer changed the filter, but forgot to drain the oil and add new.

Anyone know if the Motorcraft 10W30 is the correct oil to use for this truck and if it is synthetic or dino oil?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:01 PM

10w30 is dino. If they put the diesel oil it, it will be ok.

I run 5w40 full synthetic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 Ford Oil weights 1.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	127708  

mattt likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Larry. Yes it is the Diesel 10W30 that was used. Thank you for the chart, which is what I was hoping for. If I had the manual that came with the truck, I would have looked it up in the owners manual, but since I bought this truck used from Ryder Truck, the owners manual is MIA. Looking for one of those too.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Check eBay, you might can find one reasonable and in good condition. You can also download a PDF version here...

https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsands...owner-manuals/

or

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/sign-in.html
mattt likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Larry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in