'2011 Body control module recall - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'2011 Body control module recall

I have a 2011 F-350. The truck has been great except for the body control module. This part caused a fire on an F-150 on the production line in the Dearborn plant on November 16,2010. The fire was caused by a faulty control module (bcm). The recall# is 10s14. The recall is limited to a 3 week window of production. My truck was in production 2 months prior to the Dearborn fire. The recall window is from November 3, 2010 to November 20, 2010 even though a second truck caught fire on December 5, 2010 for the same reason.
If any one has had an issue with the body control module on any 2011 F-150/250/350/450/550 and any 2011 Edge and 2011 Lincoln MKX, please respond to this post as Ford may need to expand the recall to include others that have had issues with bcm.
My symptoms were as follows;
1) Clicking noise coming from the passenger side floor area, fuse box panel;
2) Windows would stop working intermittently
3) Compass would go blank intermittently
4) Rearview camera would not work intermittently
5) truck would not start intermittently
6) Touching any connector on the bcm would cause to the problem to come and go
Replacing the bcm requires the dealer to reprogram the bcm with special software, it can not be done by the owner. Dealers should know about this issue rather than use it as an excuse to spend hours trying to figure it out at a cost of $100 per hour. I found the problem in 10 minutes with a google search and put my finger right on it.
The bcm is now on back order and very hard to find. I did mange to get one and had it installed and the problem did go away.
Reply if this has happened to you,
Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:11 AM

My Photos: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcroof1 View Post
This part caused a fire on an F-150 on the production line in the Dearborn plant on November 16,2010. The fire was caused by a faulty control module (bcm).
Steven
I thought all the F series trucks were built in Kentucky. Where did this info come from?

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:31 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
If your truck / and BCM were NOT included in the Field Service Action 10S17 then the concerns and causes listed in the program do not affect you. The problem with the modules was identified as contamination of the main circuit board which occurred during a well defined production period. While some of the malfunctions listed are similar to what you experienced the cause is not related to the FSA.

Your own investigation and diagnosis suggests a physical failure of an internal circuit board, loose connector, open in a wire or more likely a connection problem. This could be caused by poor pin fit in a power or ground pins, a fuse and so on. Sometimes these concerns are repaired by simply disconnecting harness connectors, inspecting the pins then reinstalling them and reseating the connectors. Imagine if that was actually your problem instead of buying that expensive module?

As for calling this an "excuse" for dealers to charge you do diagnose your truck you are so wrong. Excuse? Really? Personally, I would insist on some time to check the concern and at the very least validate your findings before installing an expensive module in your truck. All that would be needed is to run a few on-board tests and perform a visual/physical inspection of the module and connections based on your findings. Sounds like the concern was very easy to replicate and demonstrate...
Lightning546 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1011 View Post
I thought all the F series trucks were built in Kentucky. Where did this info come from?
The parts come from a supplier and are provided to three different assembly plants, one of which was the Super Duty assembly plant in Kentucky.

Diesel Mentor Directory

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 11:27 PM

The only weird problem I've had on my F350 was last summer in Texas while moving my daughter from Corpus to Dallas. Twice after we had stopped and restart the truck would go into reverse when drive was selected. Truck was built In the fall of 2010 delivered in Dec 2010.
Chuck

2011 F350 KingRanch LB SRW Golden Bronze Metallic CC FX4 3.31 Elocker Tailgate step.

2008 F250 Kingranch SB FX4 trade in
2005 F250 Kingranch SB FX4 trade in
2002 F150 Kingranch 4x4 trade in
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

to ford doctor

you sir are mistaken;
  1. first of all the fsa is 10s14 not 10s17 (typo I suspect)((but I could be wrong));
  2. the fsa was too narrow to catch all of the contaminated boards as I now have one to prove that fact;
  3. the "well defined period." you speak of was when a "new hire" failed to clean the soldering machine. Great escape goat, but did the operator before him make the same mistake? Could be, just saying.
  4. You even state " Your own investigation and diagnosis suggests a physical failure of an internal circuit board,". This statement supports my theory that I have a contaminated circuit board as described in the too narrow fsa. Any other cause was eliminated as EVERY connector on the bcm was causing an internal short.
  5. Imagine if the fsa was too narrow and many Ford owners had this problem.
  6. The part lists for $175. Far less than the $300 the dealer charged me to throw darts at a dart board and suggest I spend another $400 to replace a different module.
  7. I did tell the service writer what the problem was. I showed him what was happening. He gave me all the excuses that you just did. Well it could be this, or that or this and that. I said, "no it is the bcm", check it and replace it if needed. I gave them 2 hours to do just that. They called me later that day and said they could not figure it out after 3 hours of diagnosis. Three hours, really! It took me ten minutes and goggle search to find it. BECAUSE THE FSA WAS TOO NARROW, the tech was baffled and went on a wild goose chase looking every where but the obvious.
  8. There is no test I know of and correct me if I am wrong, that will detect a short in a circuit board when the short is intermittent.
  9. A visual and physical inspection is all that is needed, but as I have said, the problem is intermittent and sometimes is hard to present. Other times it does it by itself.
So tell, could the problem be that the fsa was too narrow.

Look, I know that fsa's and recalls cost Ford and their suppliers money, and that is why expanding a recall is something Ford does not to do, but, it is obvious to me and anyone else with a good understanding of the facts that Ford needs to do just that.

I feel inclined to send the part to the NHSTA and let them decide.

Regards

Steven

PS; Anyone who wants can reach me at [email protected]
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcroof1 View Post
you sir are mistaken;

Umm, no. I am not.

Just because you THINK that your truck should have been covered under a recall does not mean that it should have - nor does that mean that the cause of the failure of your BCM was in fact the very same cause indicated as the reason for the recall. That was the point of my post. And you, not knowing what the actual problem/contamination of the circuit board is or how to identify it with regard to the recall, are hardly qualified to make that determination and for the record, neither am I.

However, if your impression is that Ford had determined the production run of the affected modules incorrectly then I certainly encourage you to submit a report to NTSHA. Doing so certainly can't hurt. If you believe that your theory on this is correct then I wish you luck on your .

I can't determine whether you are just pissed that you had to fix your truck and have a bone to pick with Ford, hate or distrust dealerships or simply wish to debate me on this topic. I am not interested in engaging a pissing contest over this. I apologize Sir for wasting your time.

Diesel Mentor Directory

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:11 AM

I have a 2011 f150 and I'm having issues with my bcm right now. I have after market tail lights and the passenger rear blinker and brake light stopped working but the running light still worked. I'm also not reading the right blinker or brake light in the trailer harness. After taking it to the dealership, they said its the after market tail light that shorted out and caused the bcm to go out. Is this common for after market tail lights or is it just the bcm going out?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:46 AM

Simply the BCM has over current protection and can shut down a circuit that might cause damage to the rest of the BCM. This protection can act in two ways, it can shut down the circuit to the fault is corrected and the dealer can reset it or the damage is too extreme that it can’t be reset. The dealer can read two codes and most likely in your case they read a code that says that it can’t be reset.

So in all reality the adding of aftermarket loads to the BCM can cause the BCM to go out, you adding aftermarket lights will put the burden of proof on yourself but still the dealership has the last say. As for is it common for the F150’s BCM you might want to post that question on a F150 Forum.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:37 PM

Garage
There is no code that says it can't be reset. Correcting the condition, performing a self test and clearing the code generated by the fault should return the circuit to operation. On many of Ford trucks the BCM can be configured for operation with different/LED lamps which is common with upfitted bodies.

Diesel Mentor Directory

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the information ford doctor.
Question?

Is that for the BCM and not the SJB?

SJB -
Pinpoint Test A: DTCs B106E, B106F

- DTC B106E (Solid State Driver Disabled Due To Short Circuit) - sets when the SJB has disabled a circuit due to a repetitive fault causing a circuit
overload. A corresponding DTC for the circuit in question will also set.

- DTC B106F (Module Disabled Due to External Fault) - sets when one or more output functions are permanently disabled due to a repetitive circuit
overload fault. DTC B106F will be set with DTC B1342. When DTC B106F is present, a new SJB must be installed after the fault condition has
been corrected.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:50 AM

I always love the old narrow band of affected parts line. Reminds me of the old cruise switch debacle. It started with a few then exploded into millions. Then we got the rig job fix instead of replacing the switch.

2000 F350 DRW 7.3
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:36 AM

I have the exact same problem with my 2011 F-250. Did you ever figure out how to fix the problem?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

yes it was the BCM. I found one and had a Ford tech come to my shop to do the install. The BCM has to programmed to match all the trucks info. He only charged me $100 dollars to come to my shop. Took him less than a hour to do. Truck has been fine.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 08:22 AM

The only problems I ever had with my 2011 F-250 was after it got struck by lightning as it fried everything electronic. Every module in the truck including the PCM & ECM had to be replaced, it took 80 days in the shop because of Fords screwed up rules. Ford prohibits the dealer from ordering more than one module at a time (for a specific vehicle), only after each module is replaced and the diagnostic test fails again are they allowed to order the next module. This might be because they are non returnable for refund parts.

2016 F-350 SD Crew Cab, 4x4, FX4, 6.7L, 3:73 gears, dually, Black w/Caribou, King Ranch, bed liner, rain guards, bug shield, HID 6K Hi-Lo headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in