'2011 F450 p/u with 69,000 miles just LOCKED UP - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By diesel_dawg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have not been on here since my 99 7.3 days, but have owned every power stroke engine since.

Up until this last Sunday I always bragged about how damn reliable this 6.7 had been since I bought it new on a trade in of my 2008 F350 srw 6.4.

SHE HAS LET ME DOWN. No more bragging rights can pour out now. I am obviously out of my factory warranty in time and some mileage. All I can now say is.....u should have bought the damn extended warranty. I thought this thing was bulletproof. Never any mods, all stock, regular synthetic oil changes.

Cruising the highway with the wife and kids, headed to an Orchard Supply Hardware store, going out of business sale.....going about 70 it started doing a couple 3mph fast slow downs, so I started getting over to the slow lane. On the way over, it started a slight knocking under acceleration and deceleration mostly. It got louder as I pulled off the freeway to the shoulder. Didnt even get it in park before it suddenly died.

Let it sit for a few minutes while I take a look under the hood and underneath the truck. Nothing obvious. Fluids were at proper levels.

Try to crank it over, the batteries strained and wouldn't budge the engine, no crank. First thing I thought was, damn it, my alternator died out or maybe my batteries finally let go after 7 years. Guessing that maybe low voltage could cause a injector misfire issue and cause the knocking. Had a buddy bring me batteries and installed them on the side of the freeway.

Go to start it, and all the lights dim as the new batteries struggled to barely turn the engine over but not start it. Tried again and it barely cranked over but started with one hell of a knocking accompanied by a shrill grinding.

At this point, I knew what was up, and had it towed to a dealer close by.

Didnt get a diagnosis email today, but did get an estimate for a long block and labor.....$22,000.

No brain surgeon here, but only 69,000 miles.....no way this engine should be dead. I've done my homework, and have found that more than a few early 2011 first gen 6.7 had some major catastrophic failures.

QUESTION. Anyone know if theres any leverage with FOMOCO on them having extended warranties relating to the faulty glow plugs, valves cracking, or crank bearings spinning..? I'm assuming my issue is gonna be related to one of these items.

This just sucks. Help heal my pain here with any advice. I know I may just have to suck it up and tear it down and buy a new engine or trade the truck in.

DAN

99 1/2 F350 Crew Cab LB. GTP38R BB Turbo, BTS trans. Cowl Hood, ORT winch bumper, Warn 15000 lb, PIAA lights, SUV harness, ARB lockers front and rear. Currie air compressor. Hypermax; 5" exhaust, 3 1/2 downpipe, taper core intercooler. Tymar type intake. DI; 6 pos. chip, essex fuel system, regulated return, "Mini Me" injectors. AMSOIL Synthetic oil throughout & Dual Bypass. A-Pillar gauges. 8" EDGE lift, Weld rims, 39.5/16.50/16.5 PITBULL Rockers. FOX shocks. Side and front windows tinted. Valentine-One radar detector. Clarion DVD in dash, Hifonics ZUES and OLYMPUS amps pushing 1800 watts, 4-10" and 2 sets ADS separates F&R.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by diesel_dawg; 11-09-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:36 PM

Dan,

Sorry for the headache! Don't know anything about help from FoMoCo, but doesnt hurt to ask? Sadly, its too bad you didn't come visit the site more often. Its a pretty well known issue for the early 6.7L engines manufactured prior to 3/2011 that had the faulty exhaust valves. I had one of those, and traded out of it at 100K miles into my 2016 for that very reason. With that said, there are many still going strong too.

That aside, you might look for a 6.7L from a wreck?

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
SOLD:2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Sterling Gray Metallic
SOLD:2005 F350 XLT 4x4 FX4 SRW SC SB 6.0 PSD/TS Med. Wedgewood Blue, Dual Alternators, Tow Command, Bypass Coolant filtration.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 05:32 PM

Sorry to hear this Dan. True, some early 2011's had catastrophic failures, but few being the key word. But when you're the unlucky winner, few is a relative term. Mine also is an early build and I had to mentally prepare myself for a worst case scenario but at 175,000 miles, if it blows up tomorrow I'll just chalk it up to a high mileage failure and go the used engine route. They can be had for $6000.00 and up depending on mileage plus whatever the cost of labor. Still the strongest diesel I've ever driven so I'm not going to knock it. Good luck with the decisions you have to make and keep us posted on the progress.

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:22 PM

Welcome to the club Dan. You could have copied my story almost word for word. Read my story here...https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...d-good-651657/

I really feel for you. I will say, the new 2019 is a dream to drive. But I am still highly disappointed and pretty down about my old truck. It just shouldn't have happened.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

Ed...KF5INW
2011 6.7L PSD XLT - Dead and gone
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Still too new!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE. SERVICE REPORT ATTACHED

2 dead cylinders and 4 with low compression. Hmmmm.

They did not open it up, so I am assuming they did compression check through the glow plug holes. Wonder if they found any broken off. If they did, it certainly was not in the report.

Ugggg, I should have kept up on my old faithful diesel stop reading...... I honestly wanted to trade this truck in for months for a crew cab utility DRW F350. It is a part of my service business anyways, and was reallistically only used as a grocery getter or an occasional trailer puller anyways.

All those years of synthetic oil changes for nothing....my heart hurts. Guessing even amsoil would not have saved this thing from early model year shi**y design flaws.

Now the question is......utility F350 or get a F150 since I am mostly the boss man of my business now, and dont really need a big heavy duty truck for a daily driver.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181109-044917_Yahoo Mail_1541767907244.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	535.6 KB
ID:	125944  

aclasshog likes this.

DAN

99 1/2 F350 Crew Cab LB. GTP38R BB Turbo, BTS trans. Cowl Hood, ORT winch bumper, Warn 15000 lb, PIAA lights, SUV harness, ARB lockers front and rear. Currie air compressor. Hypermax; 5" exhaust, 3 1/2 downpipe, taper core intercooler. Tymar type intake. DI; 6 pos. chip, essex fuel system, regulated return, "Mini Me" injectors. AMSOIL Synthetic oil throughout & Dual Bypass. A-Pillar gauges. 8" EDGE lift, Weld rims, 39.5/16.50/16.5 PITBULL Rockers. FOX shocks. Side and front windows tinted. Valentine-One radar detector. Clarion DVD in dash, Hifonics ZUES and OLYMPUS amps pushing 1800 watts, 4-10" and 2 sets ADS separates F&R.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by diesel_dawg; 11-09-2018 at 08:02 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:10 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Hey- at least they adjusted your tire pressure. You can sleep better knowing that has been done. Iíd get a gas F150 for your needs.spend some of the $10k motor up charge on creature comforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Hey- at least they adjusted your tire pressure. You can sleep better knowing that has been done. I’d get a gas F150 for your needs.spend some of the $10k motor up charge on creature comforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
🤣🤣🤣. Tires are good..... Motors fu**ed. It will push down the road just fine.

DAN

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_dawg View Post
UPDATE. SERVICE REPORT ATTACHED

2 dead cylinders and 4 with low compression. Hmmmm.

They did not open it up, so I am assuming they did compression check through the glow plug holes. Wonder if they found any broken off. If they did, it certainly was not in the report.

Ugggg, I should have kept up on my old faithful diesel stop reading...... I honestly wanted to trade this truck in for months for a crew cab utility DRW F350. It is a part of my service business anyways, and was reallistically only used as a grocery getter or an occasional trailer puller anyways.

All those years of synthetic oil changes for nothing....my heart hurts. Guessing even amsoil would not have saved this thing from early model year shi**y design flaws.

Now the question is......utility F350 or get a F150 since I am mostly the boss man of my business now, and dont really need a big heavy duty truck for a daily driver.....
Boy...again, sounds like you carbon copied my diagnosis. It sounds like the only difference is, my engine made it to 78,000 before it went.

Ed...KF5INW
2011 6.7L PSD XLT - Dead and gone
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Still too new!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:09 AM

I have a 2011 F250, but with flat oil dipstick, meaning late build engine/truck. My truck has 76k miles now. Tow our RV fiver. Because of this got another term of Ford Protect ESP plan to cover drivetrain. Intend to keep truck a bit longer, I own it, not the bank. Our RV fiver co-own by me n bank. So...

Had a friend who had 2011 F350, and his engine blew. Dealer said pre heat heater tip burned off, Caused BIG engine failure. Had the round oil dipstick, so early build engine. Thereís more to this, his story, and desperate situation (full timing w RV, truck n trailer broke away from wrecker, extensive damage to both) truck n trailer both totaled. Then he dumped the F350, got Ram dually. And new trailer.

Tough way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in