2012 6.7L Mechanic replaced turbo, now won't start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Stroking it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 2012 6.7L Mechanic replaced turbo, now won't start

Hello Everyone,

Hoping for some guidance from the panel of experts. I recently purchased a 2012 F250 with the 6.7l, it has 168000 miles. Noticed a squeal under the hood at 1500 rpm's. It would only squeal at 1500, then quit. It ran perfect, other that a temporary squeal when passing by 1500 rpm's. Brought it to a local diesel shop for inspection/repair. They decided it needed a new turbo. They installed the new turbo, however now it will not start. Apparently it has low fuel pressure, but they do not know why. They have chased lots of different codes, still will not start. I am not an expert. It ran fine before a wrench touched it. They have had it for over 2 weeks. Very frustrating, any suggestions would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:21 PM

Maybe they should tow it to the dealer and pay the bill. It could be many different things. Could be a wire not connected or a blown fuse. Maybe a loose fuel line. Did they show you the old turbo and show you where the squeal was coming from? Sorry you are having trouble but for my money I only trust my ford dealer because they are trained on the new 6.7
HeavyAssault and ford_doctor like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyjon View Post
Hello Everyone,

Hoping for some guidance from the panel of experts. I recently purchased a 2012 F250 with the 6.7l, it has 168000 miles. Noticed a squeal under the hood at 1500 rpm's. It would only squeal at 1500, then quit. It ran perfect, other that a temporary squeal when passing by 1500 rpm's. Brought it to a local diesel shop for inspection/repair. They decided it needed a new turbo. They installed the new turbo, however now it will not start. Apparently it has low fuel pressure, but they do not know why. They have chased lots of different codes, still will not start. I am not an expert. It ran fine before a wrench touched it. They have had it for over 2 weeks. Very frustrating, any suggestions would be welcome.
well im not a diesel tech but just general knowledge there is definitely a fuel line not tightened or maybe a sensor messed up.... does the mechanic you brought it to have a ford ids scanner???

brokeboyplatinum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:33 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Well I am a mechanic... in fact I am a Ford technician but that is a different discussion for another time. Replacing a 6.7L PSD turbocharger does not require messing with any fuel lines other than removing the fuel filter and it's mount. Do you happen to know HOW they know it's a fuel pressure concern and whether this is a low pressure supply problem or high pressure fuel rail pressure not building? If they can't answer that question I second dragging it to a dealer. I see a few of these every year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:38 PM

Was it a legit bad turbo that created the squeal? I can't think of a single thing that would squeal at exactly 1500 RPM with the turbo since the spool speed can vary a lot at that speed. Was it the wastegate activating? Sounds to me they broke something when replacing the turbo and can't figure out just what they broke.

I know I'm not familiar with the 6.7 turbo, but the 7.3 I had was simple, turbo, wastegate, and not much else, what is different on the 6.7 that could possibly squeal?

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB

Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904
'99 F350 CC LWB DRW

Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in