'2014 F250 6.7L Sporadically Will Not Start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cletus9000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'2014 F250 6.7L Sporadically Will Not Start

Hi, hoping to get some advice on my truck not starting. It's a 2014 6.7 with around 17,500 miles on it. Twice in the past month the truck has refused to turn over and flashed a bunch of error messages at me. First time had it towed to the dealer and it started right up (of course) once it got there. They fiddled with some things but apparently did not fix the underlying issue as the same thing happened last week, but this time instead of in front of the house it was 100+ miles from home and with a 10,000 lb boat hitched to it. Almost had to have the whole mess towed, but it eventually fired up after trying for 30+ minutes to get it to start. It did did flash a bunch of errors at me the entire ride back, but thankfully the trailer brakes still functioned... Clearly the truck cannot be relied upon, especially since I often trailer heavy loads to remote locations. I believe it is moisture related since both times this has happened it was either raining or had recently rained. I am dropping it off again to the dealer this evening, but would love to have some things for them to look into specifically to get this fixed since they could not do much the last time around.

FWIW, I get a very similar set of errors as this gentleman:

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus9000 View Post
Hi, hoping to get some advice on my truck not starting. It's a 2014 6.7 with around 17,500 miles on it. Twice in the past month the truck has refused to turn over and flashed a bunch of error messages at me...
Welcome to the forum, cletus9000; have you heard any news from the dealership this morning? If you'd like, I can escalate this up to your regional customer service manager. To get the ball rolling, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Crystal, thanks I will give you my info in a PM. The dealer still has the truck and are digging around. They were going to try to get it wet and see if they could replicate the error, but of course it was below freezing yesterday. They have informed the regional Ford service-type person of the issue in hopes of finding a solution. PM forthcoming.

Thanks,

Reed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:02 PM

I think this is a common problem. Here is a copy of something I posted twice for two different people who were having this issue. For both of them, it did also turn out to be the pin on the CAN network in a plug just above the parking brake...

I also experienced the Starting System Failure. When I turned the key to on, I noticed the glow plug indicator light was not on which I thought strange. All else appeared normal. I turned the key to crank the engine and absolutely nothing happened - not even a click. I shut it off, then tried again. Everything was the same, except this time when I released the key from the crank position, a series of messages rotated through the LCD display - "Low Oil Pressure", "High Engine Temp", "Advance Trak Service Needed", "Starting System Failure", then a picture of an open-end wrench. This series kept repeating. I tried over and over with the same results. Long story short. Had it towed to the dealer. They found a bunch or really strange codes were stored, and changed some parts. Truck ran fine and I got it back. Two days later, same issue again. After having it towed to my dealer and after tireless work, the shop manager found a 'private' network between the Advance Trak processor and the Passive Restraint Controller wiring harness had a resistance (measured with an ohm meter) of .3 ohms, but when he wiggled the connector just above the parking brake, it went up to 100 ohms. It seems that the only information sent over this is data from the yaw sensor, which the Advance Trak processor apparently shares with the Passive Restraint controller. They added two wires in parallel with the existing wires and have soldered the connectors to rule out the crimping. There now is no variability in the impedance of the network, as it stays at .3 ohms (even when wiggled). They put the truck back together, then test drove it and it ran fine. Following this, Ford engineering contacted the mechanic after he sent an update on what he found. They advised him that if you skip over the next pin in the connector, the next two pins are one of the primary high-speed networks (yes, the CAN). They advised him to also parallel those two wires and solder them. They say that connection could have caused my issue of Starting System Failure. I have had no further issues. Common problem with this particular harness? Just a thought.

Ray
2013 6.7 PS SuperCrew
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 08:40 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Crystal, thanks I will give you my info in a PM. The dealer still has the truck and are digging around. They were going to try to get it wet and see if they could replicate the error, but of course it was below freezing yesterday. They have informed the regional Ford service-type person of the issue in hopes of finding a solution. PM forthcoming.

Thanks,

Reed
You're welcome, Reed! I got your PM and sent over a reply. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help out.

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. Talked to the service dept at the dealer today. They believe it's a connection issue as well and pulled and reconnected all of them, so hopefully that will fix the problem. The tech thinks one was not connected properly, which I hope is the case and the solution to the issue. They're going to run it through the car wash now to get it wet to see if there's any moisture related malfunctions. Fingers crossed...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Bringing this back up to the top. Had to have the truck towed to the dealer again last Thursday. I was incredibly fortunate that the starting issue happened in front of my house and not 700 miles into rural Canada, which was where I was the last time I had to start the vehicle. The dealer hustled last time around to track down the problem (they basically went through every connection) and the vehicle had been working well for six months until this week. Now that it's doing this again, I am seriously considering selling it. Fairly well unacceptable that I can put $50K into a brand new vehicle and have a critical and persistent issue like this. Hoping the good folks at Ford can make this right. Otherwise it's probably on to a competitor, oh and throwing away a bunch of money in more taxes, dealer profit, etc.
Checkerboard likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:21 PM

My 2014 F-250 6.7 Won't Start, lots of Dash Warnings

Well, it happened to me today for the first time. My 2014 F-250 6.7 King Ranch with 22,000 miles started right up... I drove to our mailbox, set the parking brake and put it in park with the engine running. I got back into the truck, and hell's bells, I was blitzed with ominous warnings on the dash: Low Oil Pressure; Engine Overheating; Service AccuTrac (I think that's what it was called).

Since it was still running, I put it in drive and went down the street, thinking it might clear all the warnings once underway again. After two blocks, everything was still warning on the dash, so I stopped and shut her down. I then turned the key to re-start the engine, but it will not crank at all. The dash lights up, radio works, etc. but there are all the warning icons lit up.

I am waiting for AAA to tow the car to Sonora Ford where I bought it 2.5 years ago. Thank God it's still under warranty.

To have a very youthful vehicle "strand me" (albeit close to my home) is a real confidence breaker for me. I have read the many posts from others here with similar problems... who've made multiple trips to the dealer but still experience intermittent malfunctions. Chafed wires, E-brake issues, computer replacements, CAN bus swaps, harnesses.... these are serious dealer-only problems that I had not planned on confronting when I shelled out over $60k for the King Ranch.

I sure hope they diagnose it right the first time...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post

Quote:
Crystal, thanks I will give you my info in a PM. The dealers still has the truck and are digging around. They were going to try to get it wet and see if they could replicate the error, but of course it was below freezing yesterday. They have informed the regional Ford service-type person of the issue in hopes of finding a solution. PM forthcoming.

Thanks,

Reed
You're welcome, Reed! I got your PM and sent over a reply. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help out.

Crystal
Crystal,
I have my truck at the dealer right know with this exact issue. They are trying to figure it out as well. I am 99.9% positive that it is the wiring harness on the pcm. I left me stranded in the middle of now where and I had to wiggle the pcm harness to get the truck to start. Pm sent
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:58 PM

Sad to say, Ford service/Crystal, does not monitor this forum on DieselStop nor any other Forums now. Your only resort is to contract the regional service rep.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in