The Diesel Stop banner

'2016 6.7L F250 Oil Leak

24K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new to the forum. I was led here trying to search what happened to my truck.

We have a small family business with a bunch of ford trucks, three 7.3's two with over 450K miles. One is a stick shift F250, all original with 485K. An '02 F750, '00 F650, '85 F600.

Enough backstory... I picked up my F250XLT 4X4 with the 6.7 in January, it's a work truck. I have 27K miles on so far using Rotella T6 for all the oil changes. I was towing my gooseneck with a load of seed on it when the oil light came on idling up to a stop light. I coasted to the shoulder and shut it down. I was waiting on AAA for the tow so I checked the oil level, it was at the bottom mark. The undercarriage from the front sway bar back was covered in oil.

This happened on Thursday. They tore into it yesterday, and will let me know Monday. My brother-in-law has a 6.7 with 200K on it, so I think they are good trucks. But for now I'm banging gears in the old stick shift 7.3 (we've dubbed it "the classic").

I'll post the news when I get it.

Nick

See less See more
#4 ·
Snapped a crank and threw a rod or clunk of it thru the block.
These low mass class cranks are not working out well.
Glad it happened to you under warranty. Maybe you will have better luck this go around.
Hopefully the tow truck driver cared about our environment and used Sta Dry to pick up as much oil as he could. Those spills are horrible.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know how it pans out.

The engine broke out of the front timing cover, so the only oil lost was when it was running. It was at the low mark on the dipstick when I checked it after shutting down. We have a '13 F250 6.7L with 205,000 on it with no problems, so I hope the new motor follows suit.

Nick

#10 ·
I only look at the 6.7 forum about once a month, but even at that frequency I've seen around 25 threads of engine replacement. I can't think of one thread on engine replacement on an old 6.9 or 7.3 diesel despite them being 20-30yrs old. Is there anything on this engine that is servicable whithout entire replacement? If the water pump goes bad, $24,000 for an entire engine? Ford must love this concept. Chevy Vega or Ford Pinto engine reliability in this day and age.

#11 ·
Well, it turns out the oil pump came apart and I'm getting a new long block. I have been without the truck for 16 days now in my busy season.

I have a case number with Ford because the dealer is being a pain. The tech told me he fired the truck up and pulled it into the bay after I shut it down on the road due to no oil pressure. He then said it seized up on him. I'm not taking the truck back until everything in the oil flow is new after all of the trash is in the oil system.

#12 · (Edited)
Ford will not put in a new turbo, however they offered a 5yr 75,0000 ESP warranty. I countered with 8 year 150,000 because I'll put 75K on it in less than 3 years. We'll see what they come back with.

I'm just annoyed because that nice reliable feeling about having a new vehicle is gone.

Nick

#14 ·
#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.