2016 f350 def level gauge - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2016 f350 def level gauge

So I've brought my truck in 5 different time with the def gauge on the cluster panel. To three different ford shops. When I bought the truck in Jan of 2016 you could check the def by the cluster and it would say full then once it came off full it would say def OK until it reaches half then would tell half. Once it got below half it would read below half. Then once it was close to empty it would start with 500 miles to empty. The dealers would say no codes are found in the cpu. Now when it gets to half tank it tells me 500 miles to empty I put def in and it only take 2gallons. So the last dealer keep it 5 days and said they replaced the injector and that is related to the levels. I check the cluster and it just said def OK and the tank is full. It's under warranty for a little bit longer but it $100 every time it goes in for this. Does anybody have a working cluster that can see if the read out reads the 5 different full,ok,half,under half,500miles to empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:46 AM

My Photos: (17)
I’ve never run mine down to the “500 miles to empty” notice so I can’t really give you the info you’re looking for. I do know that when it says ”half full” that it’s not down to 1/2 yet because a 2.5 gallon jug will overflow the tank. It seems that these level indications aren’t very accurate. A friend of mine has a Ram that has a DEF level gauge on the dash that seems to work pretty well. I wish that Ford would take this hint. As much as these trucks cost it would be a nice feature.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:35 AM

While I tend to agree with you, DEF is becoming less and less of an issue. Especially since more and more stations sell it right at the pump, I don't care if it takes 1 gallon or 4....the only time I buy the DEF in the jug is when we do a cross-country trip pulling the 5th wheel just to have along. I too wish the gauge was more accurate, but its also not something I feel like i need to watch so closely.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
SOLD:2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Sterling Gray Metallic
SOLD:2005 F350 XLT 4x4 FX4 SRW SC SB 6.0 PSD/TS Med. Wedgewood Blue, Dual Alternators, Tow Command, Bypass Coolant filtration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:56 AM

If you will acquire one of the Ford DEF nozzles PM-27-N, you will not experience as many spills or over fills as you do with a jug and the spout that comes with the jug. The Ford nozzle will screw onto most any jug. It snaps into the DEF fill port and stops the filling of the DEF tank when it is full. Cost is approx $6 at most dealers.

The DEF sensors are similar in design to the level sensors for the RV tanks. There are 4 rods. One rod is ground/circuit return, another rod is for Full, the other tow rods have to do with level less half full and level is in the 500 mile to empty range. There is no level indicator similar to the fuel tank that is constantly varying the resistance to indicate tank level.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:30 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozeman1961 View Post
So I've brought my truck in 5 different time with the def gauge on the cluster panel. To three different ford shops. When I bought the truck in Jan of 2016 you could check the def by the cluster and it would say full then once it came off full it would say def OK until it reaches half then would tell half. Once it got below half it would read below half. Then once it was close to empty it would start with 500 miles to empty. The dealers would say no codes are found in the cpu. Now when it gets to half tank it tells me 500 miles to empty I put def in and it only take 2gallons. So the last dealer keep it 5 days and said they replaced the injector and that is related to the levels. I check the cluster and it just said def OK and the tank is full. It's under warranty for a little bit longer but it $100 every time it goes in for this. Does anybody have a working cluster that can see if the read out reads the 5 different full,ok,half,under half,500miles to empty.

The dosing injector has nothing to do with the level indication or the distance to empty calculation. Why were you charged a $100 deductible? Is your truck out of the basic warranty? If there are no circuit issues related to the level indication the answer is most likely over time your cluster has lost it's ability to correctly calculate the DTE. This could be due to changes in vehicle usage or driving habits and partial tank refills or refills done with mid sensor readings or faults in the ABS or network faults that could cause missing or incorrect data that is shared between modules. This is what I have come to believe and I can't seem to get a straight answer form anyone at Ford. There is a function in the Ford IDS scan tool to reset the data tables in the cluster which usually corrects this condition. It is also recommended that the PCM calibration be up to date. The procedure is called "SCR Refill Activation." After the technician checks for and repairs any relevant codes, ensures the PCM is up to date, the DEF tank is filled and the procedure on the scan tool initiated. If this has not been performed I recommend that you ask to have it done and re-evaluate the concern.

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Once I got the truck back from Ford I made sure it was full now I'm just waiting to the half light/empty comes on and go back to ford. The tech that was working on it he said he reset the pcm. It was just that I get to were the tank tells it's 500 to empty and it only take 2gal to fill it up. At empty it should be 5gal. Who to get ford tech to understand that the calibration is off.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes the basic warranty is out and it's on the extra warranty. It just seems that there waiting for that to go to get more money for full price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in