'2016 mpg at 36k miles? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'2016 mpg at 36k miles?

Background on the truck:
2016 crew cab 6.7, auto, 4 x 4, 3.55 rear end.
Getting to work (Highway/city) on the mileage gauge, I am seeing an average of about 14 mpg. On the highway average I usually don’t see more than 16 mpg.
On the forums I’m seeing people saying that they’re getting 20mpg + on the highway. What gives?
Do I need a reflash of the ECM or what am I doing wrong?

SOLD: 99 F250 Lariat, PSD(XLE4), CC, SB, Woodland green, 4X4, WD chip, A pillar & gauges, Ranch Hand bumper replacements, Black diamond tool box, Husky floor liners, Jackit level kit, Rancho 9000's, Rancho 5404 steering stabilizer, BFG 285's AT,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOW: 2016 F250 XLT, 4X4, Value Package, FX4 package. All stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 07:35 PM

I am in the Houston area as well and "in town" I usually average about 17.9, but it can drop to 15.x depending on traffic. I have managed 23.2 on the open road, but there are lots of variables that can affect MPG. My guess is that you are not doing anything wrong nor is anything wrong with the truck. If you are driving in town most of the time, then I would opine that your regens are happening more often and those definitely impact MPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 Tuxedo Black F-250 Platinum (FX4)

Currently running Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 (CJ-4) oil and CQ Blue 84151 (Clarcor) oil filter

All Stock except for a few accessories:
- Rhino Spray-In Bedliner
- Ford Splashguard/Mudflaps
- Husky Rear Wheelwell Liners
- Bull Ring retractable tie downs
- Leer 700 Bed Cap
- Mag-Hytec Rear Axle Cover
- Mag-Hytec Front Axle Cover
- OEM Rear Sway Bar
- All interior & exterior LEDs including bed
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

I would be very happy with numbers like yours. How is your trucks build specs compare to mine?

SOLD: 99 F250 Lariat, PSD(XLE4), CC, SB, Woodland green, 4X4, WD chip, A pillar & gauges, Ranch Hand bumper replacements, Black diamond tool box, Husky floor liners, Jackit level kit, Rancho 9000's, Rancho 5404 steering stabilizer, BFG 285's AT,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 PM

I have a 2016 crew cab long box with 32,000 miles on it. My truck has 3:31 gears and 18 inch tires. I get about 17 1/2 miles per gallon at a little over 70 mph on the freeways. I get about 14-15 on city and country driving . I get 11 miles per gallon pulling a 31 foot 5th wheel and 12 to 13 pulling the four horse trailer. My 2016 gets 1 to 2 miles per gallon less than the 2011 I had.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 09:29 PM

My 2011 CC Dually with 3:73 gears gets a best of 17 and a half mpg on the highway at 70 mph and 14-15 in town. My old 97 7.3 got 20.7 mpg with 4:11 gears at 55 mpg, about 17 at 65 mph. I'm not complaining, but I too wonder how some of these trucks are supposedly getting 18-20 mpg driving 80 mph while I'm using the cruise control and staying under 2000 rpm. The power this thing makes offsets the mediocre mileage but I don't understand why we're not all averaging about the same mileage.

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 PM

I have gotten just over 19 mpg in daily driving for mine (2011). But it's not my daily driver anymore. I'm getting around 17 mpg. I can't say anything for "city" driving, as I don't really do any. I just take my overall average.

I would say you are maybe a little on the low side, but nothing to get overly exited (or upset) about. As was said above, there's just too many variables to say whether there's anything wrong with your truck, or it's just your driving style.

Ed...KF5INW
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Hatin' the payments, but lovin' the truck!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capp35 View Post
I would be very happy with numbers like yours. How is your trucks build specs compare to mine?
I think they are close or maybe even the same--I have the "short" bed version with 4x4 and 3.55 gears.

Currently running Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 (CJ-4) oil and CQ Blue 84151 (Clarcor) oil filter

- Leer 700 Bed Cap
- OEM Rear Sway Bar
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

My odometer is 50miles under the 36k mark. I took my truck in this morning for a leaky battery before the warranty was up.
I asked them to check for codes while it was there. I did though have an emissions warning light about six months ago, drained the fuel separator and it went away after two key cycles and never came back.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD View Post
Quote:
I think they are close or maybe even the same--I have the "short" bed version with 4x4 and 3.55 gears.
Just curious also, what size tires are you running and avg air pressure? Any mods, such as air cleaner, etc?
Trying to figure out some of the variables.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Just curious also, what size tires are you running and avg air pressure? Any mods, such as air cleaner, etc?
Trying to figure out some of the variables.
I am running the stock 20" Michelins (which I despise--3 out of 4 have been replaced due to defects) with 65PSI in each one. No modifications, but I am running a NAPA Gold air filter instead of the OEM MC because the NAPA (which is a rebranded WIX) traps more silicon than the MC does. I do use Diesel Kleen, Howe's, or Stanadyne in every tank for water control.

- Leer 700 Bed Cap
- OEM Rear Sway Bar
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:55 AM

My Photos: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
I'm not complaining, but I too wonder how some of these trucks are supposedly getting 18-20 mpg driving 80 mph while I'm using the cruise control and staying under 2000 rpm. The power this thing makes offsets the mediocre mileage but I don't understand why we're not all averaging about the same mileage.
My late father-in-law used to say, “There’ve been more lies told about sex and fuel mileage than anything else”. 😆 I’m certainly not accusing anyone here of being less than forthcoming with the truth. I just thought it was funny.
Anyway, I wouldn’t really expect our trucks to be anywhere close in fuel mileage. Driving style & habits account for most of the variation as well as things like tire pressure, load, terrain, modifications & other factors. Cruise control is not the friend of fuel mileage. The only thing it will do is hold a constant set speed. Your mileage would be better if you held constant pressure on the throttle, allowed the truck to slow down going uphill & regain the speed going back downhill (traffic permitting).
Just as a point of reference, my 4 door 4X4 dually with 3.73 gears gets 15 - 16 mpg solo (using the driver info display). I consider 15 mpg to be adaquate & 17 mpg to be really good. Towing the 16,400 pound 5th wheel in my sig, I can depend on 9 mpg & Im really happier if I just don’t look at the mpg when towing. ☺️ I’ve often wondered if 4.10 or 4.30 gears would yield better mileage towing this heavy 5er. The truck tows great & I’ve had no problems.
To make a long story unbearable, I don’t think there is anything wrong with your truck. Just drive it & enjoy the ride!

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpetko View Post
My late father-in-law used to say, “There’ve been more lies told about sex and fuel mileage than anything else”. 😆

This is SO spot on! Especially regarding the fuel mileage. Who cares about sex . . .?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I picked up my truck yesterday, and got a new battery under warranty. While it was there they checked and found no codes. They also did what they call a multi point diesel inspection and everything was fine.
The dealer also told me to make sure my Regen was completely before turning the truck off. That it would try tokeep doing it every time the truck was started, until it was complete and this would affect mileage greatly.
How do you know when it has finished? My truck will have the red/orange pop up saying that it has been initiated but turns off after about a minute. Supposedly it takes 30 minutes? Five days a week I never drive over 30 to 40 minutes at a time.
Thanks

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD View Post
I do use Diesel Kleen, Howe's, or Stanadyne in every tank for water control.
Willing to give one of these a try.
Looking at pricing, Diesel Kleen and Howe’s are the most economical, but the Howes adds ant-gel which is not needed here.
Which would just be good for water and possible fuel mileage increases? I see the DK also has cetane booster, not sure about Howe’s.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 02:19 PM

My Photos: (10)
One thing not mentioned in this thread is the fuel. I have seen a significant difference in fuel economy with the quality of the fuel you run. This is true with diesel and gasoline. That said I get around 12 -13 with mine with my average use which sees a combination of stop and go, a little highway and towing. Empty truck with no trailer and strictly highway driving will get right at 20.
HeavyAssault likes this.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in