Aftermarket Fuel Filtration - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aftermarket Fuel Filtration

I have seen aftermarket fuel filtration setups by Airdog, and Fass, but was wondering if there
was any way to place spin on filters in factory fuel application? I realize I would have to have a housing, or 2, and make fuel lines work between the tank and engine, but really am not a fan of the factory filtration, and they are expensive to change. Everyone knows clean fuel saves money long term, and was hoping to help by running a 5 micron primary and 1 micron secondary filter. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:31 AM

As the old saying goes....speed cost money, how fast do you want to go.....applies to your idea of a replacement fuel filtration setup. You can buy one or you can re-invent the wheel. Dieseltsite makes a plug and play model that goes in the fuel lines prior to the frame filter. This setup uses 2 micron Dahl filters. Cost is approx $700.

You can also buy a set of replacement fuel lines and fittings from them for approx $100.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

My thoughts werent so much as trying to reinvent the wheel, but merely adding something like this in line. (See attached Pic). Because I can purchase housing and filter for $55.00 on ebay instead of 700.00 from diesel vendors.
And couldnt you just plumb lines down to fit filter housing after bolting to frame? I just wonder if factory pumps would handle added filtration volume. Im not looking for HP gains as much as trying to protect fuel system.

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	116457  

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 05:41 PM

call dieselsite and ask them about the replacement lines.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:02 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
When replacing the OEM fuel system can run over $10k spending $700 is CHEAP insurance. Removing the OEM filters so you can use cheaper filters and housing that you don't know will specifically work doesn't sound reasonable.

If I were trying to sell you something this would be my suggestion: Look over the kit offered by H&S, look over the AirDog units. Then consider what you need to build your own. The lower OEM pump tends to be a tad picky about air in the system. If you add on a pump to your system that costs is added to your $55 filter. Not to mention the fittings.

It's not hard to build it, but you need to study up what hasn't worked in the past.

In the end....if someone had found a cheaper, better filtration fuel system that was easy to install I'd say we all would already be using it.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 06:42 PM

I put on the DieselSite secondary for peace of mind

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jwbboat likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 PM

Just a question or two about the Dieselsite system. Are the fuel bowls glass or plastic? Has anyone suffered a broken bowl from road debris thrown up from the tires? I don't know what the proximity is but it looks like it could be vulnerable. I'm considering getting these filters unless someone knows of something better. Does anyone know if these filters have ever failed? Thanks.

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 09:23 PM

The bowls are plastic. I have the filter on my truck. I have not had any damage to them nor have I read about any damage on any of the forums I am a member. I do carry a spare bowl, stand pipe and filter with me, the same I do for the factory filter.
HeavyAssault and badbart like this.

Larry

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:53 AM

Polycarbnonate if you want to get very specific with the material. Baldwin makes these bowls specifically for fuel systems on vehicles both for on-road and light off-road use. Rocks and normal debris should be fine.
Running over large boulders and downed Redwood Pines will not be okay...
HeavyAssault and ford_doctor like this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Heavy Assault- that is specifically why I created the post. I wanted to see if anyone knew of any alternative fuel filter arrangements other than airdog and fass... and the fact that I broke that POS plastic cap on factory frame filter, and had to wait 3 days for autoparts store to get in, made me think there has to be something better. Your point of these cheap filter systems not being able to protect high dollar fuel systems is completely irrelevant because these setups are found on many small cat/cummins engines on heavy equipment with exponentially high cost fuel systems. The filter housing has nothing to do with system capabilities, but the filter does. Hence wanting to to use a common housing that will accomodate1 micron filters that are readily available and easily changed. (I have not been able to find filtering capabilities of stock filters?) Furthermore, I have a tough time believing that diesel performance parts salesmen are the only ones who can offer valid recommendations, and coincidently it is generally a product they happen to sell . From what I have seen, the cat/Donaldson spin on filters are suited to protect engines up to a certain litre capacity, in which the 6.7 falls easily within. So let me rephrase my question, is there any reason why the spin on filters would not work in providing adequate protection, to my 6.7 diesel?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 05:26 AM

If you looked at the H&S kit you would see they use a spin on filter. Okay removing the frame rail filter would mean you remove the lift pump. So you need a pump and filter setup. Then you need to think of the top filter. Sure you could remove it, but that now requires fabbing up new lines and connections. It's not impossible, but it's not as simple as cutting lines, swapping in a spin on filter/housing, and you are done.

Spin ons would work as long as they are properly rated in thru capacity.

@badbart: Worst case something busts the filter bowl. I disconnect the lines to reconfigure it back to OEM, then order a new bowl.
larrgh likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
@badbart: Worst case something busts the filter bowl. I disconnect the lines to reconfigure it back to OEM, then order a new bowl.
One reason I purchased a spare bowl and stand pipe for my Dieselsite filter. Betting on just one wold get broken is worst case scenario.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Larry

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Is there anyway to use factory lift pump.. possibly leave it inline, and remove frame filter to where it is just a bowl that will hold fuel?
Then you install frame filters inline on the back side of factory frame pump? Or maybe install them prior to factory pump to where your sensors could still be used on factory bowl? Just a thought.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 10:51 AM

@bloving52: You mean just like the DieselSite kit but remove the lower OEM filter....sure why not.
larrgh likes this.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

@HeavyAssault Yeah, I guess exactly, but for around 1/7th the cost (Im sure you can manage to purchase enough fuel fittings and lines for $45.00 to make it an even $100.00 for the crossover) and options for replacement parts/filters at most auto stores, that can be replaced entirely for $14.00. But if it makes it better, I could always create a diesel partstore, make it a package, and sell it for around $500.00. This would allow consumers who like drinking the cool-aid to "feel" they were buying something of value, and still have savings over competitors. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in