Blown Engine? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By CanichFarms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blown Engine?

Not new here I just have had a huge issue getting onto my account for a year and said fk it and made a new account since admin was less than helpful on actually getting me logged on but whatever that doesnít really matter.

I have a 2015 f350 6.7 with 54,00 miles on it and it has been a huge disaster. The latest I was driving through the pass loaded and going uphill it sounded like a gun went off under my hood. I pulled over and the intake tube had blown off and there was oil inside the intake and it seemed like a decent amount, the particulate filter said it needed service and was full and there was oil residue on the tail pipes. Ford says that the intake tube is bad and that my truck hasnít properly regenerate since the day I bought it and needs a new filter and then have the truck regen and it should be good to go. I donít believe that is all that is wrong with the truck. I have been getting around 9-12 mpg since the truck was new and ford kept saying that it would get better as the truck BREAKS in which turned out to be crap. I took it in at 3k, 5k and 12k because of poor mpg until I said it was a worthless cause. The dealership in town is horrible and doesnít properly document when you bring your truck in and what for as I just recently found out. Can you say irritating. I could go on but I guess my question is do you think that is all that is wrong with the truck? No possibility of a blown head gasket and thatís why I have so much oily residue out the tail pipe. The day I drove it it had no residue on the pipe and then it blows and I do. I had to take the truck over 100 miles away to get it into what I was told a good dealership so I donít want to pick it up and have to bring it back in because of a bad engine. I guess when I get it back I will change the oil and send it in and they will tell me if something is wrong. The last two times Iíve sent in my oil they have said I have diesel in the oil but ford in town refused to look at it and when they said they would do a test and I would need to bring it back every 500 miles until 3000 miles they refused to look at it after the first 500 miles. I have had this truck in the shop every 3 months since we bought it new, so Iím not impressed or happy with Ford right now. Iíve had Ford diesels my entire life and now unsure of what to do. I use my trucks pretty hard during the summer and fall hauling hay and cattle all over. Thanks for the help.
CajunMick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:08 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Some oil in the intake system is normal as it is carried over from the crankcase breather which filters out most of the oil in the crankcase vapors before they are routed to the intake. So no, your engine is not going bad based on that... depends on what you mean by "a lot" however and that can be subjective depending on who is observing it. The failed intake tube is a well known pattern failure. The crack and separate usually taking some time to do so. When boost air in the tube can leak out it throws off the entire air management and exhaust aftertreatment systems because the MAF sensor reading is no longer accurate. It is not uncommon for the DPF to clog when these fail slowly and I have changed a few for this very scenario however it is not always the case. I suggest that if the truck was driveable the filter is not actually clogged and can be effectively cleaned with a manual regen. But, if there is soot in the tailpipe it is bad... and at 54K replacing it only benefits you in the long run to be honest. As fo the fuel economy I think I normally see numbers like yours on customers trucks... some are indeed higher 14-16. Fuel economy is affected by many things as I am sure you are aware therefore difficult to determine if there is actually a problem or simply your diving habits, driving conditions and towing for example. Some fuel in the oil is also normal. Do you know the percentage? Once the CAC tube and DPF issue is corrected your fuel/oil numbers will likely come down a little since regeneration problems can affect that.

HTH!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Yeah that helps a lot. I will have to pull up my tests to see how much fuel dilution there is. Can you manually throw your truck into regenerative? I think I can with my AE scanner and my DP tuner also. The truck has no tunes I have it tuned for my 7.3 and use it on this truck when I'm towing so I have more information on how the truck is doing. I know a lot has to do with where we live with the bad mpg. We are driving a lot of small trips on the highway about 10 miles and another 20 miles on back roads or in town. Plus the towing hay and cattle sure doesnt help my numbers. I'm getting the truck back tonight so we will see how it does as I have to get my last bit of hay. This year I've hauled about 130 tons to the house and I have to go through a pretty nasty pass each time. I'm not ready for winter at all. We had a bunch of snow yesterday and it's supposed to snow for three days. I'm glad we had fall for a week lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in