DEF in Fuel Tank - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By larrgh
  • 1 Post By Phil G.
  • 2 Post By ford_doctor
  • 2 Post By DKR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DEF in Fuel Tank

I don't post up here much, in fact I don't think I ever have being a 7.3 guy. I know a guy on a RV website that put DEF in his 2012 F250 and then drove it less than 20 miles he says. The dealer is quoting him a $11,000 repair on it. Lucky for him his insurance is going to pickup the bill less the deductible. Can DEF do that much damage to a fuel system? He says he only put maybe 30 oz. in it, but did get a water in fuel light drained water restarted it and got a reduced power alarm. Man o Man is this stuff that bad, scares me!
Bill

2002 F350 CC, LB, 4X4, 7.3, 6 Speed. Billet Compresor Wheel. Ford AIS Filter. Frx, Hpx, CVD Fittings. Bank's Bighead Actuator, PHP Hydra and a Bunch of Other Mods. Towing 2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel. US Navy Retired E8. Hoping for Liberty and Justice for All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 06:03 PM

My Photos: (6)
IF it was diesel in the DEF tank, all you need is marshmallows.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 06:05 PM

@Traildust Makes you wonder if $3k in parts for deletes and tuning are a cheaper route?? Too bad he has to learn the hard way, even better he's not paying full price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 06:53 PM

My Photos: (0)
This example is one of the reasons I only open ONE of the two caps behind the fuel door at anyone time. Also the reason I have the Stant locking fuel cap. If I unlock the fuel cap, I know I am fueling. I replace the cap when finished. IfI know I am going to add DEF, I will pull away from the fuel pumps. Then I will only open the Blue DEF cap.

Again, I never have both caps off at anyone time. And the locking fuel cap forces me to realize I am fueling and not adding DEF.
Phil G. likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:59 PM

+1.

Same setup I am running. The locking fuel cap was about $10 off of ebay but it makes my brain think a little more.

Tom

02 CC XLT Dually 4x2, PSD w/6 spd, White w/Med Flint 40/20/40, TTT Mirrors, 4.10 L/S, PCM=AEB4, Receiver, Cab Steps, Homelink X Visor, Husky F&R Mud Flaps, AIS Ford Filter, WD Pyro & Boost in A-pillar, Line-X, Hutch Tank Mod, Pre-Pump Racor 645R30, 4" Banks Monster Exhaust, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Amsoil in Tranny & Diff.
Bye-bye 99 diesel-sucking automatic!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:19 AM

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
IF it was diesel in the DEF tank, all you need is marshmallows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgLYuI48ifI
Not as good as the early '08's before the computer update but still pretty awesome!
HeavyAssault likes this.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:20 AM

I remember the '08 throwing flames....LOL Just wanted to show a 6.7 can compete. LMAO

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:27 AM

My Photos: (2)
Ya, I didn't know fuel in the DEF tank did that until you posted it.

I certainly don't wish it on anybody but looks pretty cool. Almost reminds me of the old hot rods when guys installed spark plugs in the exhaust.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:35 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
I don't post up here much, in fact I don't think I ever have being a 7.3 guy. I know a guy on a RV website that put DEF in his 2012 F250 and then drove it less than 20 miles he says. The dealer is quoting him a $11,000 repair on it. Lucky for him his insurance is going to pickup the bill less the deductible. Can DEF do that much damage to a fuel system? He says he only put maybe 30 oz. in it, but did get a water in fuel light drained water restarted it and got a reduced power alarm. Man o Man is this stuff that bad, scares me!
Bill

Yes, it will cause immediate damage and severe enough to cause catastrophic engine failure. I wrote an article about thefirst one I repaired that was fed DEF and driven not very far. Take a look - DEF vs. Diesel Fuel - DTS Articles - Diesel Technician Society
HeavyAssault and larrgh like this.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:58 PM
DKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Bill
Biggest mistake was starting the motor. Had he pulled the battery cables and put 100 sticky notes saying not to start it.

Have it towed and drop the tank, flush it out and he would have been good to go. Couple of hundred bucks.
raymason and HeavyAssault like this.

2015 Ford Platinum F350 CC SRW LB 4X4
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My Last FR Product)
20,000 LB Reese GooseBox Hitch
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:10 AM

I have the nozzle from Ford that locks into the DEF hole. No way to make that mistake. If the hose doesn't lock than its not correct. it amazes me that someone can put DEF in the fuel by mistake. I have 5 fords and only one uses diesel. Some places the green handle is gas. I have to think every time I fill up.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 05:21 PM

Part of the problem is people have both fuel cap and DEF cap off at same time....I make sure I only have one off at a time. Also, the fuel cap is locking so it is a deliberate action to open the fuel tank for what ever reason.

I fuel up and then pull away from pumps to do def...thereby making sure I am aware of what I am doing....

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 02:41 AM

Getting ready to leave a campground in Williamsburg VA.last summer. Went to get diesel in the SD, saw a green pump, pulled up and filled up. Never noticed the ‘Regular’ on the pump. There was a dump truck blocking the diesel island. Drove back to the campground, hooked up the 5th wheel and started to leave. Just as I was getting to the road outside the gate, truck started acting funny. Drove out the gate, turned around and drove back in and parked and called a tow truck. I then realised what I’d done. Long story short, cost me $650! Got lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in