DEF Gauge showing almost empty after filling up DEF tank - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jetpilotchris1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DEF Gauge showing almost empty after filling up DEF tank

Hey Guys,
First oil change at 7,000 miles on a 2017 6.7 had dealer fill up DEF tank which was showing almost empty, showed full on gauge until 2 days later now it shows almost empty. Topped off DEF tank and it was full. Get warning that DEF tank will run out in less than 400 miles.
Is this the known problem on the DEF tanks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:37 PM

some people are reporting they have a problem with the level sensors updating quickly. My 2015 updates almost immediately. Drive it a few days and see if it will update. if not, you might have to visit dealer.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:45 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)
It will correct it's self. Mine acts like this sometimes.

2016 F350 KING RANCH DRW, 4X4, RUBY RED/CARIBOU, 3.73'S, LOADED, TUNED, ARE FLAT BED COVER, SPRAY IN LINER, 2.5" RANCHO FRONT LIFT, 3" REAR LIFT, RANCHO 9000 XL'S, 255/80/17 BFG MUD TERRAINS, EBC BRAKES, RADIO LOCKPICK, FRONT LIGHT BAR AND REAR FLUSH MOUNT LED'S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:46 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpilotchris1 View Post
Hey Guys,
First oil change at 7,000 miles on a 2017 6.7 had dealer fill up DEF tank which was showing almost empty, showed full on gauge until 2 days later now it shows almost empty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
if not, you might have to visit dealer.
Hello jetpilotchris1,

My name is Tricia, and I’m one of the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representatives on this forum. I agree with larrgh. Please take your vehicle back to a Ford Dealer to get diagnosed. You can also click, here to seek a second opinion from another Ford Dealer.

In the meantime, please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll get the ball rolling on my end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRAJET View Post
It will correct it's self. Mine acts like this sometimes.
Hi COBRAJET,

I just wanted to check in with you as well. Is your vehicle still experiencing this symptom? If so, please PM the same info listed above.

Tricia

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Hi Tricia, all,
I stopped by the local dealer, called in advance and when I arrived 3 guys came right over and took the truck back. They reset by removing the battery cables and reattaching, topped off the DEF tank and think they may have reset the computer and it now seems to work great, DEF shows full.
I love this truck and get at least a half dozen compliments a day on how great the truck looks, I even had a new chevy half ton crew roll past today and both the driver and passenger held up their thumbs and said "nice truck"

Tricia, can you help me track down some info and possibly any available discounts on the diesel care extended warranties out there as I would like to purchase one.

Thank you

Chris
larrgh likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 06:48 PM

Check these two site from Ford dealers selling ESP online. I bought mine from Zeigler since I wanted to finance it over 12 months

Save $$ on Genuine Ford Protect Extended Service Plans (ESP)
www.floodfordesp.com

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Hi Tricia, all,
I stopped by the local dealer, called in advance and when I arrived 3 guys came right over and took the truck back. They reset by removing the battery cables and reattaching, topped off the DEF tank and think they may have reset the computer and it now seems to work great, DEF shows full...
Thanks for the update, jetpilotchris1.

I’m glad to learn that you love your ride, and that the dealer took care of you!

Please check out the information, below:

Ford Protect Extended Service Plan Website: Ford Protect Extended Service and Maintenance

Ford Protect Extended Service Plan Sales: 1-877-794-6434 (9:00 A.M. – 7:00 P.M. EST)

A Ford Protect Extended Service Plan takes the risk out of vehicle ownership while minimizing unexpected repair costs. Your local Ford Dealer can help you to choose the right plan to meet your vehicle needs. The Ford Protect Extended Service Plan website also provides information about ESP coverage and plan types available for purchase.

Have a great weekend, and Happy Holidays!

Tricia

FORD SERVICE

t:

f:

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Hello jetpilotchris1,

My name is Tricia, and I’m one of the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representatives on this forum. I agree with larrgh. Please take your vehicle back to a Ford Dealer to get diagnosed. You can also click, here to seek a second opinion from another Ford Dealer.

In the meantime, please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll get the ball rolling on my end!

Hi COBRAJET,

I just wanted to check in with you as well. Is your vehicle still experiencing this symptom? If so, please PM the same info listed above.

Tricia
Mine has less than 4K miles on it. I'll let it play out. I had a 2016 SRW for a year and it did the same thing. The message would come on saying I had 500 miles left. I would add one 2.5 gallon jug of DEF. The next time I drove the truck and a few times after that the 500 miles message would not go away…it would actually count down. When I added another….
ie filled the tank the message went away. Half filling it doesn't seem to register…not quickly anyway.

2016 F350 KING RANCH DRW, 4X4, RUBY RED/CARIBOU, 3.73'S, LOADED, TUNED, ARE FLAT BED COVER, SPRAY IN LINER, 2.5" RANCHO FRONT LIFT, 3" REAR LIFT, RANCHO 9000 XL'S, 255/80/17 BFG MUD TERRAINS, EBC BRAKES, RADIO LOCKPICK, FRONT LIGHT BAR AND REAR FLUSH MOUNT LED'S.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRAJET View Post
Mine has less than 4K miles on it. I'll let it play out. I had a 2016 SRW for a year and it did the same thing. The message would come on saying I had 500 miles left. I would add one 2.5 gallon jug of DEF. The next time I drove the truck and a few times after that the 500 miles message would not go away…it would actually count down. When I added another….
ie filled the tank the message went away. Half filling it doesn't seem to register…not quickly anyway.
Gotcha, COBRAJET. We'll be here if you change your mind.

Rachel

FORD SERVICE

t:

f:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Hey Guys,
First oil change at 7,000 miles on a 2017 6.7 had dealer fill up DEF tank which was showing almost empty, showed full on gauge until 2 days later now it shows almost empty. Topped off DEF tank and it was full. Get warning that DEF tank will run out in less than 400 miles.
Is this the known problem on the DEF tanks?
How the heck did you get 7000 miles on a 2017 truck already?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 PM

There is a function using the IDS that is called the "SCR Refill Activation". You basically fill the DEF tank 100%, do this procedure, and it tells the PCM the tank is full and notes the reductant tank sending unit voltage.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

How the heck did you get 7000 miles on a 2017 truck already?

Commuting 200 miles in a day, gets miles on quick, looking for compact car to park the truck until fishing season when its time to pull the boat ;-) should be less than 90 days now until fishing season.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:46 PM

I have almost the opposite... I've gone through two regen cycles recently, but according to the dash, my DEF tank is 100% full. When I did fill it last time, it was indeed, 100% full. I almost got a full 5 gal in.

2015, F350 Lariat/Platinum, 34.5k miles.

'15 F350 Lariat (Platinum). FX4, Shortbed...

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
I have almost the opposite... I've gone through two regen cycles recently, but according to the dash, my DEF tank is 100% full. When I did fill it last time, it was indeed, 100% full. I almost got a full 5 gal in.

2015, F350 Lariat/Platinum, 34.5k miles.
Regen cycles use diesel fuel…not DEF. DEF is used all the time. Watch your fuel mileage fall like crazy during regen. I filled my tank today and reset the trip and mpg average. 2 miles later it went into regen. It averaged 9 mpg while in the process for about 20 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in