The Diesel Stop banner

Does the 2019 use the Bosch 4.2 HPFP?

10K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  HeavyAssault 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2015 6.7 that had a HPFP failure at 20,000 plus miles. Fortunately, Ford did cover replacement under warranty, but did try to find any reason they could not to warranty it. However, I no longer trust this trucks reliability, and am uncomfortable taking it a long distance pulling my fifth wheel. My question is simply this, does the 2019 use the same Bosch 4.2 HPFP? If the 2019 has a more reliable pump such as the CP3 (like Ram), I would consider selling it and buying a 2019. If it does use the same fuel pump as my 2015, I will consider selling it instead and buying a RAM. I went to the dealer parts department and asked him the same question, but never got an answer. Instead he wanted to keep blaming me for the HPFP failure and said I must have had contamination, that there was no problem with inadequate lubrication with this pump. What a line of BS, I left in frustration. But then I have had nothing but frustration with Ford in the past year. Can anyone answer this question for me? I also read in another post that someone indicated that Ford had a "low lubricity package" on these pumps. If so, what year did they start having that package on the pump? Update, have found the answer in researching part numbers, the pump is the same from 2015 through 2019.

#2 ·
As the bumper sticker says...."Chit Happens". Unfortunately your HPFP bit the dust for some reason. But, yours was the exception, not the rule. How many 6.7 powered trucks are on the road now days? What percentage of them do you think have had failed HPFP due to material failure or non-user induced problems nor bad fuel nor etc?....

I would not be worried about it. There are millions of 6.7's on the roads and I bet the percentage of failure is less than one percent, if that high.

I know, you are going to say you have seen loads of people reporting failures on the forums huh? Forums tend to magnify a problem from a stubbed toe into broken legs or death.

#3 ·
Well, I have heard this line before of it being very rare, but I don't buy it. If the failure of the HPFP was so rare, than why would Ford be so persistent in not wanting to honor the warranties when the HPFP bites the dust? If it rarely happens then I would think Ford would gladly honor the warranty except for cases where there have been indications of contamination. And not honoring the warranty because of a metal fuel auxiliary tank? How many diesel tractor trailer rigs do you see on the road with metal fuel tanks? Are they all going down the road without warranties because they have metal fuel tanks? I don't think so. Also, read the last issue of Trailer Life magazine where an article talks about all of the Bosch 4.2 HPFP failures in the Powerstroke and Duramax. If it was so rare Duramax owners wouldn't be shelling out a couple of thousand dollars to replace the Bosch CP 4.2 HPFP with the more reliable Bosch CP3. The replacement for the Powerstroke isn't happening because replacement isn't as easy as in the Duramax.

#4 ·
Sounds like you have your mind made up....so will not even bother to reply...go trade your truck if you are "scared" it will break.

have a good weekend...

#5 ·
Sorry Bucky.....your gonna need a go get a gasser......LMAO

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/inside-the-1-000-lb-ft-67l-cummins/

Modernizing the common-rail fuel system, the entire arrangement is still supplied by Bosch, but now the CP4.2 high-pressure fuel pump is used as opposed to the age-old CP3. Though this twin-piston pump is capable of producing 39,000 psi, Cummins and Ram have stated that peak injection pressure will check in around 29,000 psi in this application. Again, and just as is the case with the CGI block, forged-steel rods and larger head bolts, utilization of the CP4.2 allows room for future growth. Whether or not the injectors are of piezo or solenoid style remains to be seen (but we’re leaning toward piezo).

Reactions: larrgh
#15 ·
Thanks for pointing out that the 2019 Cummins also now uses the CP4.2 pump, I was not aware of that. I appreciate the information especially since I was seriously considering a 2019 RAM.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#7 ·
There may be an item or two that is on back order making the whole kit receive a status of "on back order"...I suspect most of these same parts are used in the current production engines and the production line gets priority.

#9 ·
Also, if failure is so rare, why is there a class action law suit against Ford for this very problem? I mentioned the failure to the Ford salesman (also a friend) that sold me the truck, and his response was that it is NOT rare. And even if it is actually lets say only 1 percent failure rate, that is one heck of a lot of trucks! In 2020 the entire fuel system is entirely new on the Super Duty diesel, so it will be interesting to see what they use for a fuel pump. Not that I am going to buy one! I purchased a diesel because they are supposed to be reliable and go for hundreds of thousands of miles, and with my 7.3 I was quite convinced that was true. But not any more, I now see a gasser as being more reliable. Should have kept the 7.3.

#10 ·
Most of these fail due to water. Water that hides in ULSD. Get mad at the oil companies for selling you water when you pay for diesel. If I went to the grocer and he sold me roadkill moose instead of beef I wouldn't get mad at my stomach for throwing up rank meat.

#11 ·
If you have a gasser, then why are you even posting this? The 2020 will probably use the CP4.2. And since you like the 7.3, the new SD gas engine will be a 7.3l engine in 2020.

#12 ·
Okay.....So there's quite a difference in filing a class action lawsuit, being awarded class action lawsuit status by the courts, and then winning a class action law suit.

Everything I have read says it's at the "we REALLY want a class action lawsuit" which has been filed in some courts (varies by state)...Nothing says it's be giving status in any court to proceed as class action at this time.

Your interests would best be toward learning how to determine the best fuel additive to use.

In the end....I'm glad I just started dumping additive in my tank for the last 138k miles since I bought it new. I'm even more glad I experimented with several ones to see what I liked best, not to mention what the truck likes to run. I'm even happier that I studied plenty of what others said to use, read several reports on products that were tested, and made smarter decisions about additives.

#13 ·
I have been using Stanadyne at every fill. I used to use a different brand until about two years ago when I started Stanadyne. The reason I use it is because it supposedly deals better with emulsified water, which apparently is an issue. I am open to suggestions on another product if there is something better than Stanadyne. I also stand corrected on the class action law suit. I didn't realize it was at the "I want a class action law suit" stage.

#14 ·
I wasn't trying to correct you, just stating what I had found myself. The internet can only do so much these days.

As far as your choice, go with Stanadyne. That was one brand I tried myself. Worked great, I just found Howe's is a quality solution at a bit cheaper cost per tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.