Draining water separator? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Draining water separator?

Okay so i would like to drain the water separator on the truck. I changed the filters about a month ago and did everything the manual said and ended up getting air in the system after purging and had to take to dealer. So before I do this I wanna be clear on everything. Every one says this is easy and it looks straightforward but I had a few questions. Once I unscrew the plug till I see the oring I will let it drain for 25 seconds as the Manua says but after I drain it do I need to cycle key 6 times to purge? And also does it matter how much fuel is in the tank? If anyone can answer these and tell me exactly how to do this with no problems it would be highly appreciated! Just thought I'd ask now before its to late! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 11:20 AM

no, you do not need to do the key cycle. If you feel that it will make you more confident you will not have a problem like last time, do the key cycle. It will not harm anything doing it.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

So I can drain it for 25 seconds and then when I start the truck everything will be fine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:22 PM

Sure, but I don't see any need to drain it that long. a good 10 seconds will let you know if you need to drain more. Drain it into a clear container and let it sit a few minutes to see if any water settles out.
ford_doctor and jwbboat like this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:54 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I use glass baby food jars, I drain it till it fills up about 3/4 of the way and then close it up. Cap it and let it sit on a shelf until everything settles. Have yet to get any water in there but there should not be any being I have the diesel site filter system.

15 6.7 F350 CCSB 4x4 3.55s Platinum Bronze Fire
Husky mats, all LED interior, Nushield for MFT, Bakflip F1 with Bakbox 2.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
I use glass baby food jars, I drain it till it fills up about 3/4 of the way and then close it up. Cap it and let it sit on a shelf until everything settles. Have yet to get any water in there but there should not be any being I have the diesel site filter system.
I used a small glass jam jar and it got close to full after about 15 seconds so will use a bigger and wide mouth jar next time. Fuel came out at drain, then at pet cock so ended up spilling some as twin streams were wider than my jar. I checked the jar after it sat over night and no water at all.

2015 F350 XLT CCSB PSD, Ruby Red, 5th Wheel Prep
2012 Cougar High Country 229RKS fifth wheel
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Okay. I am going to to pick up a clear jar to drain it into and I will drain it for about 10 seconds and check
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

How do you like the diesel site filter? And how hard was install and changing filters? I wanna get one but still under warranty
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 07:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag2400 View Post
How do you like the diesel site filter? And how hard was install and changing filters? I wanna get one but still under warranty
I think that the Diesel Site Filter/Separator is way overpriced for what you get @ $699. I have been thinking of mounting a Racor Marine Diesel Filter/Separator. It has a Bowl and Petcock on the bottom, and can pass up to 30gph of Fuel. The only advantage to the DS unit is no line splicing necessary. The Racor runs about $125.00, and replacement filters are about the same as the DS.

2016 F250 6.7 4X4 Lariat Crew 3.55 Locker
Traded 2011 F250 6.7 4X4 Lariat crew 3.55 Locker
Traded 2008 F250 4X4 Lariat 6.4 Supercab
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 02:40 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipperdog View Post
I think that the Diesel Site Filter/Separator is way overpriced for what you get @ $699. I have been thinking of mounting a Racor Marine Diesel Filter/Separator. It has a Bowl and Petcock on the bottom, and can pass up to 30gph of Fuel. The only advantage to the DS unit is no line splicing necessary. The Racor runs about $125.00, and replacement filters are about the same as the DS.
Sorry I disagree with it being overpriced. While it is expensive it is VERY easy to install and has 2 filters. I do not have the ability to splice into the fuel lines or the desire to do so. This is my first diesel ever and I installed the DieselSite filter system in less than 10 minutes. Because of its design I can also completely remove it just as quickly as I added it.

If you plan on keeping the truck long term the cost then becomes very minimal for the protection you get. I know it is not for everyone but the design is great and that does come at a cost.

2015 F-350 Platinum Bronze Fire 6.7 PSD loaded from Scott Pratt at Fowlerville Ford
2011 Rockwood 2704 Travel Trailer
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 12:46 PM

What Elkhounds said!
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:56 PM

I left my drain cock out to long. Now I have no fuel coming into the separater.????
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve123057 View Post
I left my drain cock out to long. Now I have no fuel coming into the separater.????

How much fuel did you let drain? After closing the drain, have you tried cycling the key?

Larry

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 05:36 AM

I ran into town to get new orings. so the hootus was out about an hour.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:25 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve123057 View Post
I ran into town to get new orings. so the hootus was out about an hour.

What o-rings are you replacing? The thing most people neglect is the drain plug which is frequently difficult to open and causes air leak problems. When servicing your fuel filters take the primary filter cap and place it on a bench. Remove the pug and inspect it: it should have two o-rings and one thick square cut seal on the tip. It that is not there, look inside the cap as it is most likely stuck inside. Carefully remove it with a pick and stick it back on the plug. Clean the cap and the plug and before reinserting it into the cap, lubricate all three seals liberally with CLEAN ENGINE OIL. put it in and exercise it a couple of times. Draining your separator will now be easy and not mess up the seals. Do this every time you service the filters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in