Draining water separator? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:13 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i had the DS filters... sold them while they were worth something. they don't do anything that the oem ones do. they will not take out emulsified water from the fuel that's what will get ya.
ford_doctor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:44 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcaper View Post
i had the DS filters... sold them while they were worth something. they don't do anything that the oem ones do. they will not take out emulsified water from the fuel that's what will get ya.

Absolutely. And that is why for $699 they may as well cost a $1. They make no claim or even mention that this filter will help remove emulsified/dispersed water from your diesel fuel. In fact now that I have taken the time to view the very nice video they provided I can see that the filter elements have no water blocking membrane unlike the genuine Motorcraft filters. Motorcraft calls it "Aquablock" which I believe is present in ALL Power Stroke primary fuel filters. This is that white membrane you see wrapped around the pleats of the filter element which is sometimes on the inside. This membrane is designed to prevent water droplets from passing into the filter media and separating it out for collection. But it does have limitations and no production vehicle has a fuel system that can do it alone 100% or even close. This is where the regular use of a quality fuel additive that is formulated to take the tiny suspended water droplets and make them stick together and form larger droplets that CAN be filtered out by this membrane.

However NO fuel filter will stop large quantities of water being forced through as you might experience if you pick up a few gallons of water on a fill up. It happens people. The only benefit of this Diesel Site filter assembly I can see is that is provides additional filtration and water separation capacity but not necessarily efficiency. In a way it is a little pointless. AH! But it does give everyone here something to post about 'cause it looks fricken cool man! I have said it before; there are a lot of people making a lot of money off of you truck owners.
larrgh and Phillippeterson like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 12-23-2018 at 07:47 AM.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Did DieselSite actually advertise that their system removes emulsified water??

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Did DieselSite actually advertise that their system removes emulsified water??

No, that is why I went and looked. I even stated that and I am surprised than anyone would think that this over priced piece of crap is going to protect their fuel system from dispersed water. It can't.
Phillippeterson likes this.

Diesel Mentor Directory

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:54 PM

So their filters will not remove the dispersed water nor do they say they will yet people somehow get the idea that they do?? I mean that sounds like a poor choice by a person not doing their research or even understanding the products they are buying.

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
So their filters will not remove the dispersed water nor do they say they will yet people somehow get the idea that they do?? I mean that sounds like a poor choice by a person not doing their research or even understanding the products they are buying.
You summed it up but to be fair, with a pricetag like that, I can see why a guy might wrongfully assume that filter will do everything...and make his morning coffee.

Its really great Ford_Doc put in the effort to bust this myth.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 06:54 AM

Garage
I also love the way they exaggerate the cost of a complete fuel system replacement though I have no doubt people are paying too much because they did not do their homework. They (Diesel Site) State "and the dealers are told to not spend any more time on the truck, except to give the customer an estimate for a complete fuel system replacement. This is a cost of $12,000- $18,000 depending on whether you brought it to them when you could still drive it, or the fuel pump went south and damaged even more components" Starting off if you paid anywhere near $12k for a complete high pressure fuel system replacement and fuel tank cleaning with new filters, you are an idiot. Do your homework people.

(we are talking about water here, not DEF contamination and an engine that was run until it failed - whole other ball game)
HeavyAssault likes this.

Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 12-24-2018 at 06:58 AM.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:51 AM

My Photos: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
Sure, but I don't see any need to drain it that long. a good 10 seconds will let you know if you need to drain more. Drain it into a clear container and let it sit a few minutes to see if any water settles out.
No need to worry about how many seconds you drain it. Time means nothing at all. Just catch a half pint or so in a clear glass jar, give it time to settle & look for water in the bottom. I do this before I start the truck in the morning just to give any water time to settle in the low point above the drain valve (Ive never had any water). If the fuel that you catch in the jar looks clear then chances are that there is no water suspended. I let my sample sit overnight & look at it again just to be sure. No need to overthink this simple procedure.
HeavyAssault likes this.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:41 AM

So basically what Ford Doc is saying is, if you don't know Jack about automotive fuel systems you shouldn't even own a diesel. (no condescending tone here, right?) Pardon the hell out of the average truck owner! The FACT that you remiss is the FORD DEALERS are the ones that quote these stupendous prices for these repairs and having friends at the local FORD dealer it doesn't escape me that the techs actually earn a tidy sum when these issues present themselves. At least with the Dieselsite filters I CAN visually see if any water or other foreign substance is in the fuel filter bowls.

Dealers quoting upwards of $9000.00 and we're the "IDIOTS"? That's pretty crass. I respected you as a technician but your integrity just went in file 13. Next time tell us what you REALLY think of those who pay your salary.
HeavyAssault and ford_doctor like this.

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 04:30 PM

Garage
I love you Bart. Apparently that went... right past you two miles high. Do I really need to explain my last post? Do I reeeeeally? Now my feelings are hurt. Perhaps I'll just let you stew.

Diesel Mentor Directory

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:20 PM

Sorry to go off on you Ford Doc. I understand that the Dieselsite filter is not the "cure" for the WIF issues that these trucks can experience. But I look at it as at least one more layer of protection that I can put between me and a large repair bill. I understand you were blazing their sales pitch with the high dollar estimates but I stopped working at a Ford dealer in 2011 when these trucks were fairly new on the streets and having been in both service management and an advisor, you and I both know the extreme markups on ALL repairs. I just hit RED ZONE when you made it sound like Dieselsite was making it sound worse than it is when, in reality they're not far off the mark. And to label the consumers that don't know any better "idiots" is just wrong when the very dealer you work at promotes soaking the customers on these repairs. It is what it is. I got tired of pouring salt in the wound when folks had these catastrophic issues.

It would seem that some of you guys with the experience and ingenuity would have some suggestions on a fix for this. I mean damn, the engineers would call our techs to see what they we were doing to fix some of these various issues that plagued different vehicles from time to time. They had the theories but you guys have the hands on experience. I know the fuel system kit can be had at my cost for something in the $3-$4K range but the average owner has no idea other than the retail estimate that we give them. That said, I have heard of a "Fail Safe" kit that keeps the metal particles out of the fuel system should it self destruct, but still nothing to prevent water from entering as you advised earlier. Are you familiar? Again, my apologies. I probably should have taken a breathe before I responded.

https://www.accuratediesel.com/6-7l-...ntion-kit.html
HeavyAssault and larrgh like this.

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler

Last edited by badbart; 12-25-2018 at 01:36 PM.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 05:53 AM

@badbart Don't apologize for anything. There are people who have built a cheaper fuel filter kit pre-OEM system. The guy took the time to make it right from fittings to filters.

People here are mixing arguments about two topics/problems. Best way to describe the problems: Water occurs in diesel either as an emulsion (a mixture of water and fuel with the water dispersed uniformly throughout the fuel) or as free water (water that has separated out to form a visible interface between the heavier water and the lighter fuel floating on the water).

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:33 AM

Some might enjoy this article on fuel/water seperators. They even describe a 3rd type: Dissolved Water. There are also filters capable of removing emulsified water from fuel.

https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/v...ter-separators

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 12-26-2018 at 07:39 AM.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Dissolved water is not known to have any damaging effect on fuel system components.
That's good to know.
badbart likes this.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Dissolved water is not known to have any damaging effect on fuel system components.
That's good to know.
Yeah I sure learned some stuff!

SOLD:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in