Dreaded "metal in fuel lines" - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By djousma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dreaded "metal in fuel lines"

Last Friday after work I was heading home. Driving about 30mph the check engine light comes on and flashed "reduced engine power" on my 2014 F-350.

Only went about 1/4 mile and truck died, would not restart.

Towed it to Ford, they called yesterday and said metal in the fuel lines. Called today and said Ford was covering the repairs and I owe $100 deductible. I was relieved after reading here last night about it not being covered if they found any contamination! They are replacing the entire fuel system.

My warranty won't last forever, so how can I prevent this from happening in the future? I have 59k miles on it now. This is the first problem i have had out of this truck.

Any ideas or recommendations, tips from guys who have had this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 AM

That's great that its covered. I worry about that too. You could buy a Ford ESP to cover you out more miles. Check out Flood or Ziegler Ford online. They have the best prices. I recently bought the ESP for my 2016 out 6 years and 125K for about $2500. I dont know what the rules are for being able to still buy or not.

Many never have a failure. The other option, although not free could be to replace the HPFP pre-preemptively every 50K miles or so.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
SOLD:2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Sterling Gray Metallic
SOLD:2005 F350 XLT 4x4 FX4 SRW SC SB 6.0 PSD/TS Med. Wedgewood Blue, Dual Alternators, Tow Command, Bypass Coolant filtration.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

I already have an ESP, bought when new. But I have heard that they deny coverage on a lot of fuel issues anyway.

But even my ESP will expire eventually! I am really asking about protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 08:22 AM

Thats great to hear. A lot of guys use additives to increase the lubricating properties of the fuel. That might be a good start. Beyond that, I have no ideas. Keep your filters changed, buy good fuel, drain the bowl on the monthly basis, etc. There are a lot of guys with well over 100K miles, and never see the problem.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
SOLD:2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Sterling Gray Metallic
SOLD:2005 F350 XLT 4x4 FX4 SRW SC SB 6.0 PSD/TS Med. Wedgewood Blue, Dual Alternators, Tow Command, Bypass Coolant filtration.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:56 AM

The cause of metal in the sysyem is lack of lubrication to the cp4 which relies solely on diesel for it. Water must have been in the fuel and caused a non-lubrication situation and the pump ate itself. I put a second fuel filter/water separator from DieselSite to avoid this since I'm out if warranty.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Yes, but thankfully Ford couldn't find any water or rust so they covered the entire replacement.

I have thought about adding the extra filter when my warranty runs out. Also using additives for extra lubrication. Maybe those will stop it from happening again.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:22 AM

My 2011 F250 with 66,000 miles had a high pressure fuel pump failure. I was told it was just a failure not a fuel corrosion problem. I was 3 months over the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. The truck had an impeccable service record at the same ford dealership from which I bought the the truck. Because the pump had no corrosion from bad fuel, I was not able to put a claim in with my insurance company. Ford warranty offered no help and Ford costumer service couldn give a [email protected]!7. It was a $10,800 repair quote.

I was given no explanation as to why the pump failed. I wonder how many pumps have some corrosion in them and work just fine. Seems that enough of these pumps with no corrosion fail that it's a pump problem not a corrosion problem. It's awful convenient for ford to be able to open up the pump and say oh look a little corrosion your not covered under warranty.

50-60 thousand dollar trucks should not have this all to commen problem. As I told Ford costumer service with 66,000 thousand miles on it ,my engine it should be broke in ,not broken!

Last edited by Captainira; 10-23-2017 at 12:06 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:31 AM

Do you have a Lemon Law in your state? If so contact your State Attorney General and lodge a complaint, or take them to your small claims court. I don't know what the maximum dollar limit is for small claims.
Good Luck!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 12:55 PM

My Photos: (1)
Lemon law at 5 years? Lemon laws are all predicated on loss of service time or number of repairs or some combination of those. the qualified defect has to occur within new car bumper to bumper period or the law defined time period. Depending on the state, the LL may not apply if vehicle is over 10,000 pounds GVW or if it is commercial.
The warranty is a contract and it is limited to stated terms. If they didn't want to offer goodwill with it being 3 months past warranty then there is no legal recourse. The only thing as a consumer that is within your power is to relay the issue to the public in non-slanderous way and to not buy another Fomoco vehicle.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in