The Diesel Stop banner

EGR COOLER/BLOWN TURBO INTAKE HOSe

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  CajunMick 
#1 ·
I have 1 2012 Ford F250 Diesel (6.7) that I use to pull a 39 foot fifth wheel trailer as a full time RV'ER. On a recent trip to Utah I had to replace my EGR Cooler. The truck has only 62,000 miles on it. About 1500 miles later the turbo intake hose blew off. (with a loud bang)

The truck now has lost about 2 mpg when towing and has less power going uphill.

Any comments for further repairs?

Thanks

Tom

#5 ·
I too blew that hose. Towing our fiver trailer. Lucky a Ford dealer 7 miles away. Tried to put hose back on to gain any kind of boost. Drove to them, slowly. Installed new one. Talked to tech, inquiring if maybe turbo impact? He said checked it out, test drove it. All good. Ready to go. And so we did.....with lighter wallet. Peeves, as Ford ESP just expired.

Also had friend with F350, same happened to him, towing a fiver, near Raton, NM. Climbing road there. Imagine boost pressure!
Dealer not have part, so they had to camp few days, wait for part.

Amazing how many of these hoses “pop”, yet Ford looks other way. One would think consider cost sharing to keep customers happy happy.

#6 ·
Most owners that visit the forums these days tend to replace the CAC hose with an aftermarket item. The cost is inline with the stock Ford tube. Earlier kits were two metal tubes but you can get them now with all silicone tube (pricey) or upper tube metal and lower portion silicone.

Here is the link where I installed mine. Mine was the two metal tube variety from Rudy's Diesel. Mine cost $150 but now you can get them off eBay for approx $80 to $100.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1506879-rudys-cold-air-kit-install.html

#9 ·
My 2012 (45K miles) is in the shop now getting a new turbo and associated stuff. $6600+
The service tech said I had an 'upgraded' hose which was installed a year ago when it blew. I hadn't heard of an 'upgraded' hose before that.

If the Tech is talking about a OEM Ford hose he is correct. The "cold" side tube between the charge air cooler and the intake has been a problem over the years and Ford has indeed made changes to it. The changes address the failures but it is still plastic on the ends with a rubber middle and a better clamp set up. I have always had a dislike for any CAC duct using plastic. Time will tell if the revision was impactful. The changed part is installed on trucks with recall 18M03 that experience a failure of the duct. I can't confirm at this moment as to whether the revised part is specified for pick-up applications and trucks rated under 14,000 lb BUT it would likely work fine if the revision is not all inclusive. It will fit, the unknown is the fact that the intake air temperature sensor is part of the tube and if the sensors are all the same which I am thinking they are.

So, jut for the sake of the discussion...

Customer Satisfaction Program 18M03
Certain 2011 Through 2016 Model Year F-Super Duty Vehicles Over 14,000 GVWR
with a 6.7L Engine
Charge Air Cooler Outlet Tube Inspection

PROGRAM TERMS
This program extends the warranty coverage of the charge air cooler (CAC) outlet tube to 10 years of
service or 110,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first.
If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this extended warranty coverage
will last through July 7, 2019.

Reactions: larrgh
#10 ·
Thanks for the info. I had the hose replaced about a year ago. The dealership charged around $600 for replacing the hose, doing a manual regen, and I don't remember what else at the time. They said I was lucky my DPF wasn't clogged since I drove it about 30 miles after the hose blew. I'll be towing a 40' trailer 1300 miles home after the repair so I hope there aren't any subsequent issues.

I'd like to think I can get a few more reliable years out of the truck but this is going to cause some reduced confidence.

#11 ·
I too blew the hose on our 2011. That at approx 72k miles. And after the ESP expired. Not happy over that. And know few other owners who faced similar fate, and dipped into wallet to replace it.

Interesting Ford has that 18M03 plan, but qualify only for trucks >14,000 lbs., and call it improved hose. How trite! Lucky for Ford not applies to regular PUs.

Am aware of third party hose kits. But question why should any owner resort to extra expense to correct a known defective part, by virtue of the 18M03 program by Ford.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.