EGR COOLER/BLOWN TURBO INTAKE HOSe - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ford_doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR COOLER/BLOWN TURBO INTAKE HOSe

I have 1 2012 Ford F250 Diesel (6.7) that I use to pull a 39 foot fifth wheel trailer as a full time RV'ER. On a recent trip to Utah I had to replace my EGR Cooler. The truck has only 62,000 miles on it. About 1500 miles later the turbo intake hose blew off. (with a loud bang)

The truck now has lost about 2 mpg when towing and has less power going uphill.

Any comments for further repairs?

Thanks

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 09:19 AM

Put the intake system back together.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Dealer replaced cracked intake hose connection. Now poor mpg and hill climbing is slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Has anything happened further with this? I had the same thing happen. The MAP sensor got dirty then eventually had to be replaced. The dirty sensor seemed to reduce boost and cause the loss of power and reduce MPG
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:55 AM

I too blew that hose. Towing our fiver trailer. Lucky a Ford dealer 7 miles away. Tried to put hose back on to gain any kind of boost. Drove to them, slowly. Installed new one. Talked to tech, inquiring if maybe turbo impact? He said checked it out, test drove it. All good. Ready to go. And so we did.....with lighter wallet. Peeves, as Ford ESP just expired.

Also had friend with F350, same happened to him, towing a fiver, near Raton, NM. Climbing road there. Imagine boost pressure!
Dealer not have part, so they had to camp few days, wait for part.

Amazing how many of these hoses “pop”, yet Ford looks other way. One would think consider cost sharing to keep customers happy happy.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:16 PM

Most owners that visit the forums these days tend to replace the CAC hose with an aftermarket item. The cost is inline with the stock Ford tube. Earlier kits were two metal tubes but you can get them now with all silicone tube (pricey) or upper tube metal and lower portion silicone.

Here is the link where I installed mine. Mine was the two metal tube variety from Rudy's Diesel. Mine cost $150 but now you can get them off eBay for approx $80 to $100.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-install.html

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:26 AM

My 2012 (45K miles) is in the shop now getting a new turbo and associated stuff. $6600+
The service tech said I had an 'upgraded' hose which was installed a year ago when it blew. I hadn't heard of an 'upgraded' hose before that.

Last edited by dlnoss; 06-18-2019 at 08:45 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:43 PM

I paid about 5K for an EGR, turbo and heater bypass fitting last year. There is a thread here about that fiasco.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:32 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlnoss View Post
My 2012 (45K miles) is in the shop now getting a new turbo and associated stuff. $6600+
The service tech said I had an 'upgraded' hose which was installed a year ago when it blew. I hadn't heard of an 'upgraded' hose before that.

If the Tech is talking about a OEM Ford hose he is correct. The "cold" side tube between the charge air cooler and the intake has been a problem over the years and Ford has indeed made changes to it. The changes address the failures but it is still plastic on the ends with a rubber middle and a better clamp set up. I have always had a dislike for any CAC duct using plastic. Time will tell if the revision was impactful. The changed part is installed on trucks with recall 18M03 that experience a failure of the duct. I can't confirm at this moment as to whether the revised part is specified for pick-up applications and trucks rated under 14,000 lb BUT it would likely work fine if the revision is not all inclusive. It will fit, the unknown is the fact that the intake air temperature sensor is part of the tube and if the sensors are all the same which I am thinking they are.

So, jut for the sake of the discussion...

Customer Satisfaction Program 18M03
Certain 2011 Through 2016 Model Year F-Super Duty Vehicles Over 14,000 GVWR
with a 6.7L Engine
Charge Air Cooler Outlet Tube Inspection

PROGRAM TERMS
This program extends the warranty coverage of the charge air cooler (CAC) outlet tube to 10 years of
service or 110,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first.
If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this extended warranty coverage
will last through July 7, 2019.
larrgh likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I had the hose replaced about a year ago. The dealership charged around $600 for replacing the hose, doing a manual regen, and I don't remember what else at the time. They said I was lucky my DPF wasn't clogged since I drove it about 30 miles after the hose blew. I'll be towing a 40' trailer 1300 miles home after the repair so I hope there aren't any subsequent issues.

I'd like to think I can get a few more reliable years out of the truck but this is going to cause some reduced confidence.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:06 AM

I too blew the hose on our 2011. That at approx 72k miles. And after the ESP expired. Not happy over that. And know few other owners who faced similar fate, and dipped into wallet to replace it.

Interesting Ford has that 18M03 plan, but qualify only for trucks >14,000 lbs., and call it improved hose. How trite! Lucky for Ford not applies to regular PUs.

Am aware of third party hose kits. But question why should any owner resort to extra expense to correct a known defective part, by virtue of the 18M03 program by Ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in