ford warranty issue - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ford warranty issue

so my 2 month 2 thousand mile 6.7 spun a bearing
ford idea of a acceptable fix is a short block
so i end up 2 month old $55,000 truck
that the engine was removed and rebuilt by the dealer
cust. service said since the engineers said to just replace the block
not a complete engine or even a long block that cant be changed
thanks ford great customer service
why did it spin a bearing anyway bad block?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:21 PM

Sorry about your problem on such a new truck but Ford for the most part determines how the vehicle will be fixed.The engine wasn't rebuilt ,it had a short block installed.

I'd be interested to see what happened .
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 PM

I work in the aircraft industry overhauling propeller controls for C-130 and P-3 aircraft. these parts are 40 plus years old. We change the parts that are worn or broke and put it back on the aircraft. It works for airplanes, why isn't a NEW shortblock good enough for you? There was nothing wrong with the heads or other components, and you have a full factory waranty. What's the problem? Sure it sucks that your new truck was apart, but Ford will stand behind it. I wouldn't sweat it.

2011 F-350 DRW 4X4 dark blue pearl/slate grey two tone Lariat ultimate. 3.73 limited slip 5th wheel prep/spray in bed liner. Named BRUTUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1450 View Post
I work in the aircraft industry overhauling propeller controls for C-130 and P-3 aircraft. these parts are 40 plus years old. We change the parts that are worn or broke and put it back on the aircraft. It works for airplanes, why isn't a NEW shortblock good enough for you? There was nothing wrong with the heads or other components, and you have a full factory waranty. What's the problem? Sure it sucks that your new truck was apart, but Ford will stand behind it. I wouldn't sweat it.
I'd be doing more than sweating. Most dealers don't have the capability of effecting such a repair, especially to the standards that a new motor is assembled to.
This might be a acceptable fix at 2-3 years and 25-40K miles.....Definantly not at 2 months and 2K miles. He should get a new truck. Ford can fix their mistake and sell it as used. Probably in the long run would work out better for them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 AM

From what I've expierenced at dealers over the years I feel for this guy. This is a huge job. I would be worried as well. Hopefully he'll get a good tech and they can get it back into A1 shape. He should have gotten at least a long block with all parts attached so all they have to do is drop it in.

2016 F350 Lariat Copperfire Bronze,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 AM

I agree 100% with the above 2 posts!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcaper View Post
From what I've expierenced at dealers over the years I feel for this guy. This is a huge job. I would be worried as well. Hopefully he'll get a good tech and they can get it back into A1 shape. He should have gotten at least a long block with all parts attached so all they have to do is drop it in.
I totally agree too. Something was pretty wrong with his first engine to spin a bearing in 2000 miles. I would have really raised cain to get a complete new engine or a replacement truck and let the dealer & FMC fight over the expense and method of the repair.

There's a WHOLE LOT of difference in experience between the FMC factory assemblers experience and a service tech's experience in rebuilding a new engine like the 6.7L. The assembler has seen tens of thousands of engines and this could be the tech's first rebuild.

Denny
'96 F-250 Reg. Cab 4X4 5-sp POWERSTROKE
298,500 mi & NO Problems, LUK Clutch
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 AM

you will never get one like the factory! it's not only the assemblers,but the machine's that do the torque setting's. will never be like the dealer can that's for sure! long and short blocks go down the line just like a fully ready one for body and assemby truck/mustang engine.know they are not diesel i would think they would do the same at the 6.7 plant.

2011 f-250 king ranch c.c. 6.7 20,000 k's drives great and the black labs,love the back windows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
400 horse and 800 ft pd's who needs a tuner
the best thing about the 6.7 is i don't have to turn it off in drivethrough
2005 f-250 xl reg cab 6.0 glad its gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
I'd be doing more than sweating. Most dealers don't have the capability of effecting such a repair, especially to the standards that a new motor is assembled to.
This might be a acceptable fix at 2-3 years and 25-40K miles.....Definantly not at 2 months and 2K miles. He should get a new truck. Ford can fix their mistake and sell it as used. Probably in the long run would work out better for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcaper View Post
Abso-******-lutely.

2008 F250 King Ranch 4x4 SWB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in