Frequency of Oil Change in new 6.7liter - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 06:38 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
With regard to warranty your maintenance is typically only called into question then there is a major failure and there are obvious signs of neglect. Some technicians like myself know the pattern failures for each engine and usually do not look too much further into the failure unless something stands out. I do look at mileage, total engine hours and the general condition of the engine.

None of the maintenance minders log data or set codes. There is nothing that can be pulled from the truck to tell nor does the truck actually know whether the oil has been changed. Ford put effort into the algorithms that determine oil condition based on a lot of testing. The duration of the interval between oil changes is calculated in the PCM, and varies due to driving conditions. The PCM assumes a base mileage of 16,093 km (10,000 miles) or 1 year for normal driving. However, this number will be adjusted down due to high engine temperature, high engine rpms, use of flex fuel and possibly low oil level depending on the vehicle. From what I understand total engine hours and idle hours are also factored in. Otherwise I recommend changing the engine oil and filter every 7500 miles or 300 total engine hours for the 6.7L and 5,000 miles or 200 total engine hours for the 7.3L, 6.0L and 6.4L PSD engines for my location.

Synthetic oil is proven to be superior to conventional oil and will provide better lubrication however I do not think that using synthetic lubricants means that you should extend your service intervals. The oil still becomes contaminated and the filter still gets loaded up regardless of the type of oil being used. Of all the PSD engines I have had apart for whatever reason engine wear seems to be excellent when looking at cylinder walls and bearings and most of these engines used conventional diesel engine oil. In fact, most engine wear and related damage on PSD engines in my experience is caused by other problems like air filtration failures (think 7.3L) and over fueling due to excessive injection compensation or oil consumption caused by elevated engine oil levels (think 6.4L) as my top two examples that cause excessive cylinder wear and damage. I could go on with citing additional pattern failures and customer induced stupidity (think modifications and neglect) but I do not want to digress to far here. After all, this topic is about oil maintenance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 12-14-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 06:55 AM

My Photos: (0)
ford motor oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossrock98 View Post
I will use Motorcraft as I did in my 7.3 and 6.0.
I think Ford has a vested interest in the oil as they are the ones on the hook for the 5 year/100,000 warranty.
As their slogan use to be "The Motor Oil From The Motor Company"
Ford does NOT make or produce any motor oil or lube !
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:15 PM

I got over 250K miles using Motorcraft Oil in my 7.3 and since Ford is marketing it and I drive a 6.7 Ford now, I will continue to use Motorcraft Oil.

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 11:45 PM

As was pointed out, Ford is not an oil producer/refiner, they simply market on a private label basis (called Motorcraft) oil producer by Exxon Mobil. The full synthetic Motorcraft oil is Mobil 1, I've been told.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontWayne View Post
As was pointed out, Ford is not an oil producer/refiner, they simply market on a private label basis (called Motorcraft) oil producer by Exxon Mobil. The full synthetic Motorcraft oil is Mobil 1, I've been told.
My point is, if it's good enough for Ford to market it as their brand, it's good enough for me. It seems this discussion has wandered a bit off track however. Wasn't this about oil change frequency?

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler

Last edited by badbart; 02-24-2018 at 07:20 AM.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontWayne View Post
Motorcraft oil is made by Conoco Phillips.
ArcticDriver likes this.

2015 Tuxedo Black F-250 Platinum (FX4)

Currently running Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 (CJ-4) oil and CQ Blue 84151 (Clarcor) oil filter

All Stock except for a few accessories:
- Rhino Spray-In Bedliner
- Ford Splashguard/Mudflaps
- Husky Rear Wheelwell Liners
- Bull Ring retractable tie downs
- Leer 700 Bed Cap
- Mag-Hytec Rear Axle Cover
- Mag-Hytec Front Axle Cover
- OEM Rear Sway Bar
- All interior & exterior LEDs including bed
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:50 PM

My Photos: (17)
Dirty looking oil means that the detergents in the oil are doing their job & keeping particles suspended in the oil until the next change. Dirty looking oil is just fine as long as maintenance intervals are followed.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 12:50 PM

My Photos: (29)
Garage
I go 5000 miles on a change.
I'm not listening to the "oil minder".
21lbs of boost is hard on oil.
50% of my mileage is towing 17,000lbs.

2019 F350 4X4 Dually, FX4, Crew Cab, Ultimate Lariat Package, Agate Black, Black Leather towing a 2006 LE3905 Weekend Warrior

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
2012 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in