Head Scratcher - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Scratcher

I've been trying to solve this problem for a couple of months.

Background : 2014 F350 6.7, auto trans. Deleted in 2016. 420,000 miles currently on truck. Truck does not use oil between changes. Oil sampled and sent to lab every oil change (12,000 miles). Report stated all wear metals are good. No glycol or fuel in oil. The egr is still on truck but bypassed. The cooling lines are still attached.

Problem : Since the delete the truck has performed great, no problems. A month ago the cooling fan cycles on and off all the time. My mechanic has plugged in the IDS to check things out. Any system that would command the fan to engage are reading within parameters. The fan hub was replaced, no change. It will cycle at idle or at speed. The truck does not overheat at speed.

Took the tune out and reinstalled in case it got corrupted, no change. Even my mechanic is stumped and he is a Ford trained tech and works a Ford dealer. I consider him top notch. All sensors have been checked and are working properly.

I am looking for a fresh set of eyes and to see if anyone out there has experienced this or heard of it. If you have ANY ideas, please share. I use this truck in a commercial hauling business and getting kind of tired of the crappy fuel mileage this problem creates.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:08 PM

Might just be time to replace the thermostat?

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
SOLD:2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Sterling Gray Metallic
SOLD:2005 F350 XLT 4x4 FX4 SRW SC SB 6.0 PSD/TS Med. Wedgewood Blue, Dual Alternators, Tow Command, Bypass Coolant filtration.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

djousma

Thanks for the come back.Replaced thermostat at 302,911 miles. Not saying it hasn't went bad again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 09:31 AM

My Photos: (1)
Did the fan cycle while the PIDS for temps from those things were monitored? Chafed wires are common on super duties, well any vehicle with wires used in dirty environment--SDs have no exclusive on chafed wires, and sensor signal wires getting resistive connections to ground look like high temps. The temp sensors have resistance to ground that gets less resistance as temp goes up. A wire with worn insulation that gets pulled against some piece of engine or chassis metal will often not be a 0 ohm reading but will be 100, 250, 500 ohms depending on the dirt and oil and cleanliness of contacted metal. There is no fault code set for these problems until they get to be a direct short that makes the input signal go out of the plausible range.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Hi Jimmy

Yes, the fan cycled while being monitored. The ids showed fan rpm increasing while everything that would turn the fan on remained within normal ranges.

Thank You for the response .

Fred
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:23 AM

Next is unplug Viscotronic fan clutch wire and see if the cycling occurs with no control signal.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:57 AM

Garage
Monitor your A/C pressure along with your A/C request parameters. A fault with the pressure sensor/circuits will cause the fan to come on. If you do find the A/C pressure going high and find no obvious fault with the sensor consider the thermostatic expansion valve. If it sticks causing high pressure the fan will come on. My experience with TXV's on these trucks is that they can stick for no apparent reason. Most of the time they can be un-stuck simply by recovering the refrigerant and then evacuating and recharging though debris from a failing compressor should not be ruled out... neither should a malfunctioning transmission fluid temperature sensor. The A/C scenario will not leave a code, the TFT should. Keep that in mind.

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in